Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a 2014 Model S P85D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a Tesla and my earlier order of the M3 got delayed which i mentioned in a different thread.
So, looking around, i was talking to a forum member who has listed a P85D for sale and while scouting the market, came across a 2014 P85D with only10k miles from a dealer. Per Autocheck, it shows up as a Jan 2015 registered car, and the VIN is in the 66k range. Based on VIN ranges users have posted, it appears to be a 2014 Dec build.

The listing on the car is not the best and i still am trying to gather all the options it has. The price was what got me interested at 69k. Car interior looks pristine and has the sport seats, staggered 21" and i am assuming the + suspension and 'Insane' mode.

With that being said, what do you guys think? Is this a good buy at this time?

IMO... yes! My CPO Dec’14 build was right around that price, but had 32k miles. Depending on other options for your prospective car, that’s a good price if it’s in great condition. You still have negotiating room as well. Good luck!

ps for all the negativity surrounding the change to the CPO policy, I’ve seen some very high (non-CPO) prices (including some dealers) for MS’s lately that were in worse condition and less-optioned so the used market is def heating up

I bought my P85D 19 months ago. It was around 10 months old, 7500 miles and was in excellent (as you'd expect) condition. Price £82900 was a little more than I had bargained on at the time but have absolutely no regrets. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it as a class act and although I would love the latest P100D with ludicrous, at 71 (nearly) unless I win the lottery, that's unlikely. Mine will probably have to last me until my driving licence is taken away!

I picked up my CPO P85D last week. Contrary to some of the recent threads here, my CPO experience was unbelievable. Car was absolutely pristine and just beautiful with almost nothing wrong with it, despite having 41k miles. Car itself is amazing, and I do have the + suspension. Same Dec. '14 build.

I had the option of choosing a fully loaded P85D for the same price through a dealer, but decided to forgo the 21" wheels and the upgraded sound to have the 4 year CPO warranty. Though I really prefer the 21" looks probably smarter for me not to have them where I live that has potholes galore.

Overall, very very happy with the car. There are some good CPO deals out now too. There's a really nice black one under 50k miles (so you get the 4 year warranty) on the East Coast I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: legend502
I picked up my CPO P85D last week. Contrary to some of the recent threads here, my CPO experience was unbelievable. Car was absolutely pristine and just beautiful with almost nothing wrong with it, despite having 41k miles. Car itself is amazing, and I do have the + suspension. Same Dec. '14 build.

I had the option of choosing a fully loaded P85D for the same price through a dealer, but decided to forgo the 21" wheels and the upgraded sound to have the 4 year CPO warranty. Though I really prefer the 21" looks probably smarter for me not to have them where I live that has potholes galore.

Overall, very very happy with the car. There are some good CPO deals out now too. There's a really nice black one under 50k miles (so you get the 4 year warranty) on the East Coast I believe.

If you picked up your P85D last week, it was likely bought under the old policy where they refurbished cars. With the new policy you could get a pristine car or a car with interior and exterior damage and need to then take the car to a Tesla body shop at your own expense so the situation could go either way.

If you buy a CPO under the current policy, they just guarantee the car works mechanically so it's best to see what you are buying before you pay.

• Informative
Reactions: hmmm and davidc18
Looking to buy a Tesla and my earlier order of the M3 got delayed which i mentioned in a different thread.
So, looking around, i was talking to a forum member who has listed a P85D for sale and while scouting the market, came across a 2014 P85D with only10k miles from a dealer. Per Autocheck, it shows up as a Jan 2015 registered car, and the VIN is in the 66k range. Based on VIN ranges users have posted, it appears to be a 2014 Dec build.

The listing on the car is not the best and i still am trying to gather all the options it has. The price was what got me interested at 69k. Car interior looks pristine and has the sport seats, staggered 21" and i am assuming the + suspension and 'Insane' mode.

With that being said, what do you guys think? Is this a good buy at this time?

I bought my 2014 PS85+ in Jan w/ 70k miles for $50k - it has 21" wheels and I am really happy with it. My reasoning for buying a car with that many miles was that it makes no difference what the miles are for an electric car. I am rhappy with it so far. As an added "bonus", being an existing Tesla owner I jumped the line for the 3 that I ordered on the first day it was available and took delivery of it in March. I am also fortunate enough the get the $7,500 tax credit :)!!

Sounds like a great car, and a great price! Couple quick things.....I would confirm that it has Autopilot hardware on it. At Dec 14' and a 66,xxx VIN it should. Even if you aren't interested in AP yourself, it will be super helpful for resale down the road! Know that you'll have the rest of 2018 for a warranty, but the ESA can't be purchased on cars bought/sold through a dealership.

The biggest difference between P85Ds that you could choose from are ones made up until April 2015 and ones after. They dropped the plus suspension after April making the car bearable. Don't get me wrong. I like a stiff performance minded suspension. I always ordered Z51 on my corvettes because I liked a tuned suspension that handles well in the corners. But the suspension on the P85Ds April and before is just WAY too stiff for the street. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited if I'd known and gotten the non plus suspension.

Not to be confused with the P85+ who's plus suspension was just right and not too stiff for street driving. The suspension on the P85D after they dropped the + was more like the P85+.

You really should drive it first before you decide, as others have said.

The biggest difference between P85Ds that you could choose from are ones made up until April 2015 and ones after. They dropped the plus suspension after April making the car bearable. Don't get me wrong. I like a stiff performance minded suspension. I always ordered Z51 on my corvettes because I liked a tuned suspension that handles well in the corners. But the suspension on the P85Ds April and before is just WAY too stiff for the street. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited if I'd known and gotten the non plus suspension.

Not to be confused with the P85+ who's plus suspension was just right and not too stiff for street driving. The suspension on the P85D after they dropped the + was more like the P85+.

Seems like people vary on this quite a bit. I admittedly did not test drive any form of P85D before jumping on the CPO that I bought. I have the + suspension, and it is fine for me. Though I don't have anything to compare it to. Perhaps the 19s soften the ride a bit.

If you picked up your P85D last week, it was likely bought under the old policy where they refurbished cars. With the new policy you could get a pristine car or a car with interior and exterior damage and need to then take the car to a Tesla body shop at your own expense so the situation could go either way.

If you buy a CPO under the current policy, they just guarantee the car works mechanically so it's best to see what you are buying before you pay.

True, I did luck out. It is definitely a crapshoot. With the refund policy in place where you can refuse delivery (I think), I'd probably take the risk. I personally am very risk averse and don't want to have a car without warranty.

I agree completely but they offer a different experience for different people. I personally prefer the April 2015 and beyond suspension to what is called the "Plus Suspension" but I know some like the "Plus Suspension."

To me, the suspension after April 2015 is more comparable to a German luxury car suspension and that's what I prefer. I actually would not consider buying a pre-2015 P85D with the stiffer suspension.

Whatever P85D you buy, make sure you look at it and inspect it thoroughly BEFORE you pay. Buying from Tesla no longer comes with the peace of mind that you will get a car that is like new and many of these cars are used or abused as service loaners. Some may have significant damage and wear and tear by people who abuse loaners and you are now expected to fix all that with your own money.

This one will have been an early 2015 build. My P85D is 639xx as was built Dec 23, 2014. These are the best balance of cost/benefit that exists today IMHO.

I'm not sure it's that straightforward. My VIN 64272 was built at the end of November 2014 and I took delivery on 12/26/2014. But regardless, I think that sounds like a good deal for the OP.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
.... Perhaps the 19s soften the ride a bit...
The 19's definitely have a much more compliant ride. Switching from "W" to "V" speed-rated tire will also improve ride and durability while reducing price. Unless you cruise the Autobahn as a daily practice the "W" is really overkill. The ride improves materially, or at least it did for mine.