Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a 2016 used X not from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently seen a Model X that I am interested in. Of course I phoned the dealer (3 hour trip away) who literally knew nothing about the vehicle.
As a fairly avid follower of Tesla, I am hesitant to purchase one not from Tesla, due to possible issues that may arise. I imagine repairs on the X could be extremely costly. When buying form Tesla they offer the 4 year warranty from date delivered.
Not many used model X are available here in Canada, relative to the U.S. , hence the debate.

Would you buy a vehicle whose warranty is about to expire?

I would ask Tesla if you could purchase extended warentee. I was just at service center and they told me as long as still covered by original warentee, could buy the extra 4 year 50,000 miles for 5300. I’m debating because ours has been basically perfect for 2 1/2 years.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I would ask Tesla if you could purchase extended warentee. I was just at service center and they told me as long as still covered by original warentee, could buy the extra 4 year 50,000 miles for 5300. I’m debating because ours has been basically perfect for 2 1/2 years.
I don't think that he'll be able to purchase the extended warranty since the vehicle has gone to a dealer.

Reactions: VikH
I don't think that he'll be able to purchase the extended warranty since the vehicle has gone to a dealer.

correct. we have two used X's. One from Tesla and one from Maserati dealership. The one direct from Tesla had 48k already on it but it included another 50k or 4 years on top of it so I'm pretty set. But the other one just had the original 50k warranty and can't add on top of it and it's past that already, so keep that in mind when purchasing preowned.

I have recently seen a Model X that I am interested in. Of course I phoned the dealer (3 hour trip away) who literally knew nothing about the vehicle.
As a fairly avid follower of Tesla, I am hesitant to purchase one not from Tesla, due to possible issues that may arise. I imagine repairs on the X could be extremely costly. When buying form Tesla they offer the 4 year warranty from date delivered.
Not many used model X are available here in Canada, relative to the U.S. , hence the debate.

Would you buy a vehicle whose warranty is about to expire?

No because its a 2016 and its a Model X.

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
If you buy from dealer (including Tesla) you lose Free Supercharging.

If I bought used, I'd buy from private party. You can usually tell history and care when dealing with original owner and if it includes free supercharging you get that too. Also I would not think of buying used with out getting extended warranty (either included or confirm it can be added).

If I bought used, I'd buy from private party. You can usually tell history and care when dealing with original owner and if it includes free supercharging you get that too. Also I would not think of buying used with out getting extended warranty (either included or confirm it can be added).
Yeah, private you can tell who is a real Tesla person and who is a ‘driver’ lol. :D

This isn't correct, I've bought 2 Teslas from dealers other than Tesla and both kept free supercharging...

Just make sure you look at new existing inventory from Tesla website. With the price drops of Tesla's over the past few years, the non-Tesla dealer might not have an unrealistic price set for the Model X that cost well over $100k new in 2016. New Raven Model X's start in the mid-80's now. Some used ones from the Tesla website still indicate FUSC and are in the low $60k range.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Just sayin....

:)