Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you get this dent removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving down the highway and the landscaper in front who was hailing a utility trailer flung a rock the size of a small softball right at my car.
Hit my hood, bounced, hit my hood again, and then hit my windshield.
No damage on the windshield but the two chips on the hood went down to the bare metal.
I got some touch up paint but lo and behold, it wasn't just the chip that resulted from this, it also left two small divets/dents.

The car is a 2019. Would you guys pay money to get these two removed or just leave it alone?

I have a bunch of rock chips on my plastic bumper which I don't mind but this dented and took of layers of paint off the metal hood.

If you were in my shoes and found it worth it to fix, any recs for paintless dent removal in MD?
😢
IMG_5391.JPG

Yes, I would get that fixed, yes, and it also doesnt look like something that is a candidate for paintless dent removal to me since it appears to be dented all the way through to the metal.
Ah shoot thats disappointing to hear.
Any ideas on what a fix would entail? Hopefully not a new hood as I would prefer not to go through insurance for this.
In hindsight, I should've saved the dash cam so I can put in a claim with the other parties but I didn't think it was going to be this severe until I got home and took a thorough look at it.

Ah shoot thats disappointing to hear.
Any ideas on what a fix would entail? Hopefully not a new hood as I would prefer not to go through insurance for this.
In hindsight, I should've saved the dash cam so I can put in a claim with the other parties but I didn't think it was going to be this severe until I got home and took a thorough look at it.

Im not a body shop expert (at all) so I dont know, even on the PDR, however I have never seen a video online where PDR would be done for anything like what you have posted. Your best bet is to ask a body shop, but my first inclination is that it would probably be easier to get a new hood.

If the rock hit your car without bouncing on the road first, you might check with your insurance to see if that would be a comprehensive claim (thus under your comprehensive insurance deductible and not dinging your policy for a collision). Rules on that stuff are kind of strange (like, whether something was in the road, or fell directly off the back of the landscapers truck bed or stuff like that may make a difference).

I also dont know if the dashcam would have helped you even if you had it, but that is also a question for insurance if you wanted to pursue that.

Yes, I would get that fixed, yes, and it also doesnt look like something that is a candidate for paintless dent removal to me since it appears to be dented all the way through to the metal.
I agree with jjrandorin. Can you go back in the dash cam videos to find the culprit? It will probably require a new hood. You could get some cheap filler to fill the hole and cover it up with paint, but I wouldn't advise that. C'est la vie!

Was driving down the highway and the landscaper in front who was hailing a utility trailer flung a rock the size of a small softball right at my car.
Hit my hood, bounced, hit my hood again, and then hit my windshield.
No damage on the windshield but the two chips on the hood went down to the bare metal.
I got some touch up paint but lo and behold, it wasn't just the chip that resulted from this, it also left two small divets/dents.

The car is a 2019. Would you guys pay money to get these two removed or just leave it alone?

If it bothers you - definitely fix it.
I would.

If you were in my shoes and found it worth it to fix, any recs for paintless dent removal in MD?

PDR should be able to remove the dent.
Paint touch up to match the surrounding paint surfaces will be a follow-up activity.

The hood of Model 3's is aluminum, and is harder to work with than steel. But still doable. Expect to pay more.

I am not in MD, but google around, and read customer reviews for the vendors.
Call ahead to confirm that they work on aluminum panels.
Many good shops will come to you.

PDR can absolutely remedy dents. In some cases, extreme panel damage, not just small dings.

I had a far worse dent PDR removed from a hood of my M3 a decade or so ago.
It took an hour or so of work, but I could not find the spot of the repairs after it was all done.

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You could add a racing stripe there. j/k

Sorry this happened though. I was able to catch someone who did a much smaller door ding on my car, and their insurance just wrote me a check. Although I could have probably returned the lease that way and not been charged, my OCD coudln't take it. I ended up getting it fixed. lol

It's not only a dent; but also a hole. No PDR here.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a hole, just paint scratches and dents from two nicks. I would take a LOT to puncture holes in metal, even aluminum, at an acute angle of the hood. And the damage around the puncture area would have been wider.

More pics from different angles might help.

IMHO,
a

If you have money to burn, you should replace the panel every time you get rock chips/dents like that, if I were you I will find a good PDR to repair the dent, find a good detailer to touch up, apply a clear coat, sand, and buff it off. It will be hardly noticeable unless closely inspected.