Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Purchase a model Y Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the "hat shelf" refers to the Parcel Shelf, which Tesla devotes and entire page to for "concealing cargo", but I don't think that will assuage him.

X2 on the decaf.

KoenMertens, best of luck with whatever new vehicle you choose next.
You all seem so satisfied with your car. Reading this forum convinced my to go for Tesla.

My experience is different.

Coming home after a three-week holiday and finding your car with 10% SOC less, I find peculiar. It is akin to buying a petrol car with a shrinking petrol tank.

But tell me, do you achieve the advertised mileage? Isn't autopilot asking you to turn the wheel every 30 seconds?

I guess the "hat shelf" refers to the Parcel Shelf, which Tesla devotes and entire page to for "concealing cargo", but I don't think that will assuage him.

Well, we call it a hat shelf ;-)

Have you ever tried to get it completely out of the trunk? About all cars have a self-retracting parcel shelf. It just gets out of the way in one simple step. You need it: just pull. You don't need it: just let it contract.

You all seem so satisfied with your car. Reading this forum convinced my to go for Tesla.

Coming home after a three-week holiday and finding your car with 10% SOC less, I find peculiar. It is akin to buying a petrol car with a shrinking petrol tank.

But tell me, do you achieve the advertised mileage? Isn't autopilot asking you to turn the wheel every 30 seconds?
You’re very clearly not satisfied but many of us are, overall. Trying to convince others not to be is a waste of time however - we all have our own experiences and vehicle needs. As with all purchases it’s “buyer beware” - many or all of the items you mentioned could have been anticipated prior to sale with due diligence. But this too shall pass, best of luck with your next vehicle.

You’re very clearly not satisfied but many of us are, overall. Trying to convince others not to be is a waste of time however - we all have our own experiences and vehicle needs. As with all purchases it’s “buyer beware” - many or all of the items you mentioned could have been anticipated prior to sale with due diligence. But this too shall pass, best of luck with your next vehicle.
Thank your for your reply.

For me, having bought a car with an advertised mileage of 533 (100% MYLR) and reaching getting 75% of it, is not about buyer beware. This is just plain lying. On top, Tesla knows (https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/).

This is criminal behavior. How can you be satisfied with a supplier that just lies in your face? You need to raise your standards.

Tesla is not the premium car they say they are. This is at best a mediocre car. Just read the number of complaints about ... well everything. The range, the phantom breaking, the windshield wipers.

You and I bought it with real money. I need to work hard (and deliver real value for my customers) in order to earn this. At least I expect a value for money car.

Again, are your updates better than games, farts and trivialities?
Do you get your advertised mileage?
Are your parking sensors working 100% of the time (or are they blocked by sunlight)?
Has your car not phantom braking?

Do you like it?

I don't.

Tell me how to sell this car when the price has plummeted? Rather impossible without accepting 10K € of loss.

Do you like it when the car you bought, lowers it's value with 6K. Do you feel you have paid an honest price?

Sorry to tell you, but you should raise your standard.

Thank your for your reply.

For me, having bought a car with an advertised mileage of 533 (100% MYLR) and reaching getting 75% of it, is not about buyer beware. This is just plain lying. On top, Tesla knows (https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/).

This is criminal behavior. How can you be satisfied with a supplier that just lies in your face? You need to raise your standards.

Tesla is not the premium car they say they are. This is at best a mediocre car. Just read the number of complaints about ... well everything. The range, the phantom breaking, the windshield wipers.

You and I bought it with real money. I need to work hard (and deliver real value for my customers) in order to earn this. At least I expect a value for money car.

Again, are your updates better than games, farts and trivialities?
Do you get your advertised mileage?
Are your parking sensors working 100% of the time (or are they blocked by sunlight)?
Has your car not phantom braking?

Do you like it?

I don't.

Tell me how to sell this car when the price has plummeted? Rather impossible without accepting 10K € of loss.

Do you like it when the car you bought, lowers it's value with 6K. Do you feel you have paid an honest price?

Sorry to tell you, but you should raise your standard.
And you jumped in and bought it when information on all of your complaints has been readily available for years? Next time spend more time researching so you can spend less time cursing your situation to rando's on the internet - learn from your mistakes and move on already....

Having a full tank every morning is something I could never now give up and go back to a gas car. I keep my car plugged in at home so never have a worry.

Waited until 2019 to buy an electric car as everything prior to Telsa lacked the range for my daily commute. I knew going in 5 years back I would only get the stated range on the very best of days and in the worst of days could get only 50% of that.
Plus knew I should only charge to 80% daily so had to knock 20% off the best day figure to start.

That was back in 2019 and most everyone buying one knew that to be the case, so if you were not aware in 2024 that the published range only works for 100% charge, best case scenario weather and driving than I understand that would be upsetting but was information available to you.

I do agree the electric car industry exaggerates the actual range much more so than the gas car industry does. That is not a Tesla specific issue though.
The EPA should do a better job of requiring the publishing ranges based on different situations so the consumer is more aware before purchasing.

Autopilot / Self Driving has to be one of the most overhyped / underdelivered products to ever exist ; I still enjoy it but is of the things I enjoy about my Telsa is somewhere around #50 or so.

When I saw the thread title,I was wondering how long it would take for someone to try to use this thread as a personal soap box. Took longer than I thought actually. Extensive rants would be better served being in their own thread (especially when its known by the person ranting that they are ranting).

@KoenMertens I don't see anyone doubting that you hate your Tesla and it has been a terrible experience for you, but couldn't you extend the same courtesy to those of us who genuinely enjoy our Model Y and not peg us as having low standards? I mean, I have regular access to a Volvo C40 and a BMW iX, and I would still take my MYP. Are those also cars of low standard?

Many of your complaints have been voiced on these forums over the years, and some research would have uncovered these complaints as potential issues for you before buying.

For what it's worth, I've read about Autopilot nags for years and I can count on one hand how often I've experienced it over almost 3 years. And I use AP quite a bit. A LOT of people complain about AP nags, but I have very rarely seen it because I figured out how to comfortably hold the steering wheel while using AP.

The advertised range was always something of a reference point for me instead of a number I expected the car to achieve. Before buying my MYP in 2021, after doing my due diligence, I never expected to ever see actual 303 miles on a full charge. This isn't really new since for gas cars, the MPG rating or the "remaining range" many cars have are also just a point of reference. I never trusted those either.

I've found the updates to be great and very useful over the years. The car has so many more nice features compared to when I got it in 2021. Definitely not just farts and games.

I do agree that the wiper logic sucks.

Anyway, I believe the car sucks for you and you hate it, but hopefully you also believe that some of us really do love the car a lot and are not people of low standards.

I love my Y and nothing else can replace it for the price.
It does everything I need and exceeds all my expectations.
There are things I fixed to make it even better and I wish it had more range, but I've never needed more range in the last 6 months, so it's not really an issue.

Reactions: AJ..
The advertised range was always something of a reference point for me instead of a number I expected the car to achieve. Before buying my MYP in 2021, after doing my due diligence, I never expected to ever see actual 303 miles on a full charge. This isn't really new since for gas cars, the MPG rating or the "remaining range" many cars have are also just a point of reference. I never trusted those either.

Yes, I know. It is about the margin of error. There is easily a difference of 25 to 30%. That is unacceptable. On top, it seems like it is by design. If what stated in the article is true, then it is fraudulent.

Besides the (imo fraudulent) range, I find that my tolerance for this car is very small. I didn't expect much from my previous car, except that it was reliable. With Tesla, it is different. The expectations are set so high that it was a disappointment for me to see that a car can have so many shortcomings.

Yes, I know. It is about the margin of error. There is easily a difference of 25 to 30%. That is unacceptable. On top, it seems like it is by design. If what stated in the article is true, then it is fraudulent.

Besides the (imo fraudulent) range, I find that my tolerance for this car is very small. I didn't expect much from my previous car, except that it was reliable. With Tesla, it is different. The expectations are set so high that it was a disappointment for me to see that a car can have so many shortcomings.
I get everything you're saying. Many of my complaints about the car are the same (but I don't think I feel quite as strongly about most of them as you do).

Where I would disagree with you is in expectations. I NEVER heard that Tesla was a premium car manufacturer. They like to say they are and claim to compete with higher end vehicles like BMW, etc. but it was clear from many articles and this forum that they were lacking in many of the areas that set premium car manufacturers apart; build quality, ride comfort, materials, etc.

I knew going in that I was not getting BMW level of quality. The high price is going towards the innovation aspect much more than the luxury aspect. If someone told you that Tesla matched any other high-end brand, they lied. If you assumed based on the price that that was the case, then you didn't do enough research because it's not hard to find the complaints about build quality and materials.

If anybody asks me about Tesla this fact is what I lead with.

You think that's bad - I'm 6 hours from the nearest service center.
Buy again. If I could sell my 21 Red Model YLR with 28K today or in the very near future, you bet I'd jump on a new one!
Just sold our 2020 MYP to Carvana for 34k. Was surprised by the offer so we jumped on it to get a MS. I would however get another MY with all the upgrades past the 2020 model we loved that car. Our trade even had a recorded accident repair which surprised me.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline

It's not really about margin of error. Under EPA testing conditions, I doubt there was that much variance. This is about the variance between your specific driving conditions and the EPA testing conditions. With my own driving habits, I hit around 95% of the 2023 EPA range, and 100% of the 2024 EPA range on my 2023 Model Y LR AWD. On my Model 3 LR RWD, I average 110% of EPA range. Granted, most of my highway driving is on Autopilot at speed limit + 5mph, probably less aggressive than many other Tesla drivers, and I'm in Greater LA where the weather is moderate all year round.

Just sold our 2020 MYP to Carvana for 34k. Was surprised by the offer so we jumped on it to get a MS. I would however get another MY with all the upgrades past the 2020 model we loved that car. Our trade even had a recorded accident repair which surprised me.
Wow $34k seems pretty good! I just kind of assumed my 2021 MYP is worth less than $20k at this point, LOL! If the new version was coming out now, and my car was worth $34, I'd be seriously tempted.

Try to sell the car without accepting a few thousands loss. The price plummeted just after we bought it with more than 6K.
…and there you have it.

Yet another person looking for someone or something else to blame for their own bad decision to purchase a new car at the height of a once in a generation bubble.

Well, we call it a hat shelf ;-)

Have you ever tried to get it completely out of the trunk? About all cars have a self-retracting parcel shelf. It just gets out of the way in one simple step. You need it: just pull. You don't need it: just let it contract.
My ‘23 MYP came with one. I threw it into the trash when I picked it up. Problem solved. Some things about my Tesla pisses me off every day but other than those few things it’s a mostly great car.

I picked up a 2024 MYP in March during the end of Q1 promotion period for just under $40K. This included free FSD transfer, 5K supercharging miles, and a few other nice perks. The car has been flawless and super fun to drive. I still can’t believe a car at this level of performance could be purchased for such a low price.

Would I buy another one? It depends. I’ve owned Teslas for five years now and I’ve had zero issues with them. So I’m a satisfied customer. But if another company comes along with a better product I’m certainly not loyal to Tesla to the point of buying one over a better alternative. The EV world is still in its infancy and I expect to see a lot more competition over the next five to ten years. So I’m open to considering any car that can offer better value than a Model Y if such a car ever gets produced. But I did pretty extensive research trying to see if any worthy alternatives existed before buying my MYP and I found absolutely nothing even remotely close to being worth of consideration.