Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wow..good reactions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure a good reaction I guess but I'm not impressed. I would chalk this up mainly to luck.

When you're at speed on a busy multi-lane freeway and the right lane gets clogged up ahead, MURPHY'S LAW DICTATES that some bozo in said clogged lane pulls a stunt like this. It is extremely common.

Which begs the question, why the frack does the driver seemingly ignore this imminent situation, until the very last split second? What would have happened if a vehicle (car, pickup, or heaven forbid, some bigger vehicle) was passing the Tesla in the left lane just when he demonstrated such impressive quick reaction time? He might've suddenly turned his car into a Tesla sandwich.

No, this would have been a "very good reaction on his part" if he had SLOWED DOWN and controlled the vehicle and prepped for some bozo pulling out of right lane suddenly.

In short, this is a perfect reason why I won't go near autopilot.

Reactions: drklain
Agreed with the above criticism of the driver. I was uneasy with that situation from the very start of the video, and would have been one or two lanes to the left ASAP. If you look at the comments on youtube, the driver/poster tries to justify his driving, but I don't agree. You could see this incident coming from way, way back, and almost surely before the video even starts, and have avoided it easily.

Reactions: tinm
Agree with these comments. I use autopilot constantly, but if faced with a situation like this I would disengage autopilot immediately and move over if possible. I even disengage it when traveling 60 in the carpool lane with slow traffic in the adjacent lane. Too many people will just cross over the double yellow line illegally right in front of you.

Reactions: cybergates and tinm
I love AutoPilot but I don't lose my concentration. I use the HOV lane (car pool lane for those in the States) and I am driving at or near the speed limit whereas the lane directly to my right is stop and go. Almost 3x/week there is someone who isn't looking that comes over to my lane. Most of the time AP reacts pretty well but some times I have had to over-ride the steering as the brakes would have been too late. I don't blame AP for these situations. I recommend that a couple high-powered lasers be used to trim off any offending cars that wander into my lane so that I can continue at speed unfettered ;-). Perhaps a future upgrade...

Very good reaction on his part but with 4 lanes each way and so much slow traffic in the far right lane I'd have been one lane further left if I was going to rely on autopilot at that speed.
I tend to do the same. As an example, suppose there was a car on his left. The maneuver the driver in the video made potentially would have created a collision in that third lane (from the right).

I love AutoPilot but I don't lose my concentration. I use the HOV lane (car pool lane for those in the States) and I am driving at or near the speed limit whereas the lane directly to my right is stop and go. Almost 3x/week there is someone who isn't looking that comes over to my lane. Most of the time AP reacts pretty well but some times I have had to over-ride the steering as the brakes would have been too late. I don't blame AP for these situations.

Yep. As I'm sitting here thinking about it now...if I was far enough away from that stopped traffic and had space to change lanes, I would move over one lane to the left and covered the brake pedal while deciding what to do about autopilot. If I was soon going to overtake that traffic to the right or couldn't change lanes I'd just apply brakes to turn off autopilot and slow down.

I recommend that a couple high-powered lasers be used to trim off any offending cars that wander into my lane so that I can continue at speed unfettered ;-). Perhaps a future upgrade...

But then you'd have to have AP steer around the debris field. :D

Bruce.

Yep. As I'm sitting here thinking about it now...if I was far enough away from that stopped traffic and had space to change lanes, I would move over one lane to the left and covered the brake pedal while deciding what to do about autopilot. If I was soon going to overtake that traffic to the right or couldn't change lanes I'd just apply brakes to turn off autopilot and slow down.

But then you'd have to have AP steer around the debris field. :D

Bruce.

In Toronto on the 403, the stopped traffic is easily 10 - 15 km long! It is that bad. There is no left lane other than the paved shoulder that is often filled with debris (that could cause a tire puncture) or filled by police stopping people who "cheat" by illegally driving on the HOV lane (single or non-approved EV). One of the main reasons I bought the Tesla was to reduce my commute time to the office. Often times, I slow down to 70 kph but the speed differential can still be 60 kph between me and the cars in the regular lanes. It can be a "white knuckle" affair but I do get to the office (or home) earlier.

It seems that the other driver was the first in a pack. i.e. he was the slow vehicle holding up the cars behind him. Why would he switch lanes in this case at all instead of just speeding up? Just a really bad driver overall.
The lane change in this case would have been more appropriate if the other driver had been one of the vehicles in the back.

I have noticed that AP seems to be slow to recognize a car moving into your lane. It seems to not fully recognize it until the car has mostly moved into your lane. This driver was moving way too fast given the break lights in the adjacent lane. AP doesn't seem to "see" break lights.