Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW..Milwaukee is seriously short on super chargers.why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it's annoying. There's one slated for Waukesha, but really who knows when. Driving from Madison to Milwaukee and back round-trip in the winter can be difficult if you don't have a long-range battery.

And the story about why there are two next-door in Madison... the 3-stall one was installed first. The property owner limited it to 3 stalls. Once the need for more became apparent, they had to find a new site (which has 8). I guess they decided they may as well leave the small one in place.

Reactions: SSedan
Yep, it's annoying. There's one slated for Waukesha, but really who knows when. Driving from Madison to Milwaukee and back round-trip in the winter can be difficult if you don't have a long-range battery.

And the story about why there are two next-door in Madison... the 3-stall one was installed first. The property owner limited it to 3 stalls. Once the need for more became apparent, they had to find a new site (which has 8). I guess they decided they may as well leave the small one in place.
i thought it was because of the model 3 influx that they left both chargers in madison. I stopped at the 8 and saw 4 people in model 3 pop in and out while i had to sit there

Last edited by a moderator:
In most places, Superchargers are installed as part of a Interstate transit system, about 100 miles or so apart. There are a few cities with multiple Superchargers, Atlanta is one, 6,000,000 and 3 Superchargers. So for Milwaukee, at 500,000, to have one is actually pretty good. It's pretty interesting that Denver, with only about 700,000 has 3.

In most places, Superchargers are installed as part of a Interstate transit system, about 100 miles or so apart. There are a few cities with multiple Superchargers, Atlanta is one, 6,000,000 and 3 Superchargers. So for Milwaukee, at 500,000, to have one is actually pretty good. It's pretty interesting that Denver, with only about 700,000 has 3.
Milwaukee has zero....oak creek is not milw.

Milwaukee has zero....oak creek is not milw.

I'm sorry, that argument doesn't work. It's in the metro area. One of Atlanta's is 45 minutes away. Having one less than 30 minutes away shouldn't ever be considered a given at this point in development. I didn't have one that close until just recently, but then again, I'll probably never use it.

Take a look at plugshare.com There's a LOT of destination chargers in the Milwaukee downtownish area and near Brookfield at the Corners of Brookfield, there's 12 high power destination chargers waiting for you.

Lots of options, you just can't expect Superchargers everywhere.

I'm sorry, that argument doesn't work. It's in the metro area. One of Atlanta's is 45 minutes away. Having one less than 30 minutes away shouldn't ever be considered a given at this point in development. I didn't have one that close until just recently, but then again, I'll probably never use it.

Take a look at plugshare.com There's a LOT of destination chargers in the Milwaukee downtownish area and near Brookfield at the Corners of Brookfield, there's 12 high power destination chargers waiting for you.

Lots of options, you just can't expect Superchargers everywhere.
The corners says 16kw?

Also one under construction in Lake Geneva. But yes we need more DC fast chargers in the milwaukee area. I suspect the anti-tesla laws in this state aren't helping. If Tesla were allowed to open stores and service centers, I think we might get more than just basic supercharger coverage.

I guess it's all relative. The first 7 weeks that I had my car I didn't have any at home charging (was moving to a new place) so I was driving 40 miles one way to charge my car in Ann Arbor. That was less than ideal So to me, 15 miles does not seem like that great of a burden.

I guess it's all relative. The first 7 weeks that I had my car I didn't have any at home charging (was moving to a new place) so I was driving 40 miles one way to charge my car in Ann Arbor. That was less than ideal So to me, 15 miles does not seem like that great of a burden.
wow.No way would i get an ev withour a home to charge in.If i was moving into a home i would wait till in and charger hooked up...If in apt-NO WAY....sorry but with the temp changes in denver and snows and such it would be bad enough having to park outside but worse to not have a charger to plug into at night.

wow.No way would i get an ev withour a home to charge in.If i was moving into a home i would wait till in and charger hooked up...If in apt-NO WAY....sorry but with the temp changes in denver and snows and such it would be bad enough having to park outside but worse to not have a charger to plug into at night.

Yeah, well I don't know how long you've had your car...but back when I got mine was right around the time when Tesla was threatening to kill the Free Unlimited Supercharging...so it was either order it then or risk not having that at all. So...I ordered it then. Turns out they did indeed take that away from everyone...but then gave it back to everyone...then took it away again, then brought it back and took it away. So there's that.

But honestly, it was probably the best experience I could have gotten with an EV. It was February in Michigan...and it was tough to run an EV in that weather. But it also taught me what these cars can do and how long you can go on them without charging them at all. You don't need to charge every night...you can indeed use them for several days in a row without plugging them in. What I went thru in the beginning has really helped me to understand the true capabilities. i probably worry a lot less now about vampire drain or anything like that now as a result of those early days.

And, yeah, you can live on just the Supercharger network and have zero at home charging. It's certainly not the best way, and I'm much happier now that I have a charger at home, but I simply worked around the problem while I had it. Our SC's here are mostly at Meijer, so I would just go grocery shopping while the car charged. It's not optimal to drive 35 minutes to do that...but I knew that a little short term pain was worth the long term gain of driving this car. So again, not that big of a deal to me.

Yeah, well I don't know how long you've had your car...but back when I got mine was right around the time when Tesla was threatening to kill the Free Unlimited Supercharging...so it was either order it then or risk not having that at all. So...I ordered it then. Turns out they did indeed take that away from everyone...but then gave it back to everyone...then took it away again, then brought it back and took it away. So there's that.

But honestly, it was probably the best experience I could have gotten with an EV. It was February in Michigan...and it was tough to run an EV in that weather. But it also taught me what these cars can do and how long you can go on them without charging them at all. You don't need to charge every night...you can indeed use them for several days in a row without plugging them in. What I went thru in the beginning has really helped me to understand the true capabilities. i probably worry a lot less now about vampire drain or anything like that now as a result of those early days.

And, yeah, you can live on just the Supercharger network and have zero at home charging. It's certainly not the best way, and I'm much happier now that I have a charger at home, but I simply worked around the problem while I had it. Our SC's here are mostly at Meijer, so I would just go grocery shopping while the car charged. It's not optimal to drive 35 minutes to do that...but I knew that a little short term pain was worth the long term gain of driving this car. So again, not that big of a deal to me.
sure you can live on the sc network w/o a home charger..but my time is worth more then to sit there every day and charge away from home.
we bought too based on free sc in 2017 and yea they said its going away and never coming back- so that pressure made my gf pull the trigger even though i was against it and said they will likley bring it back(which they did many times to make sales).

If we had been more informed we would have waited a year or 2 but we were naive to tesla and their monkeying with options and prices.

I

Learn to plan.
We should be appreciative of what we have not bitch about what we want.

I live near Appleton which is near Green Bay. I am very happy with the supercharger expansion Tesla has given us in the last 2 years in Wisconsin and last month took my vintage P85 up to the Keweenaw Peninsula, a trip which each was stretched range to the max, was very thankful for the 10kw station on Florence.