Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Roadster 220V Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in buying a 220V Charger for my Roadster - HPC or UMC.... Tesla UMC for Roadster seems perpetually sold out. Model S UMC is only $650 (compared to Roadster HPC). Not sure if there is a connector from Model S to Roadster that may make it worthwhile to pursue that path.

Thanks djp. When I looked at Clipper Creek, it seemed I had two options - either go with a 30A (around $600) or 48A/70A ($2000+). To me Roadster UMC seemed like the best option (around$1200 - gives me 40A and no need to put in the J1772CAN every time) - except those are all sold out. 40A is all I need as it will give me a full charge is around 6 hrs.

I might settle down with a 30A J1772 unless one of the used UMCs come in the market.

Another possibility is the EMW juicebox EVSE... if you hardwire it, you can charge at 60A. I decided to just get the plug-in version and install a 14-50 as well. Charges up to 40A and cost me ~$550 shipped (base version, assembled, with all the cables).

EMW - JuiceBox - an Open Source Level 2 (15kW) EV Charging Station

Thanks mate!! This seems like the way to go... Could you share your experience? How long have you had it? any issues? support? Thx.

I bought my car used and it came with a UMC. The unit failed after a few months. I bought a used 30 amp mobile connector, (the box), for $600 and have had no problems. When I asked about this on the forum, it appeared that the UMC was more fragile than the "built like a tank" 30 amp unit. It was nice to have the compact 40 amp unit but if I had the choice of buying again, even if they were the same price, I would buy the 30 amp model knowing what I know now. On rare occasions I could have used the extra 10 amps but if you are charging overnight you probably won't have a problem? I get about 24 miles of ideal range per hour of charge. My best power rates are between 12 and 6AM. So six hours of charge gets me 144 miles of range. Either way, you'll wonder how you ever got by with the 110 volts! By the way, there was a post on the forum from 2009?, about a guy who could upgrade the box to 40 amps, but it wasn't cheap, $700 or $800 IIRC?

I bought my car used and it came with a UMC. The unit failed after a few months. I bought a used 30 amp mobile connector, (the box), for $600 and have had no problems. When I asked about this on the forum, it appeared that the UMC was more fragile than the "built like a tank" 30 amp unit. It was nice to have the compact 40 amp unit but if I had the choice of buying again, even if they were the same price, I would buy the 30 amp model knowing what I know now. On rare occasions I could have used the extra 10 amps but if you are charging overnight you probably won't have a problem? I get about 24 miles of ideal range per hour of charge. My best power rates are between 12 and 6AM. So six hours of charge gets me 144 miles of range. Either way, you'll wonder how you ever got by with the 110 volts! By the way, there was a post on the forum from 2009?, about a guy who could upgrade the box to 40 amps, but it wasn't cheap, $700 or $800 IIRC?

Thanks PD!! Pardon my ignorance - what is "the box", and where do I get one?

Thanks PD!! Pardon my ignorance - what is "the box", and where do I get one?
The "box" is the MC240, what was available when the 1.5's and I believe some 2.0's were sold.

I have a 1.5 that came with the MC240, I use that as my dedicated home charger and its cable is actually outside, where the box is inside my house. Its indeed built like a tank and has never let me down. I bought a UMC for traveling since its less bulky and offers 10 more amps if / when I need it. Its built like a crackerjack prize. I wouldn't use that every day, looks sleek but not at all as durable as the MC240. I also bought a HPC 70 amp charger off a member on the forum but haven't hooked it up. My house at the box / service needs to be updated before I do that to utilize the full 70amps.

Also note that the MC240 is incompatible with the 2.5's and possibly the 2.0's.

tesla-car.jpg

Thanks.... At this point it seems my options are either go with juicebox or clipper creek. I was talking to the clipper creek guys and they told me there is a 48A charger for home installation coming very soon (possibly end of the month). Depending on how they price it, that may work out.

Thanks mate!! This seems like the way to go... Could you share your experience? How long have you had it? any issues? support? Thx.

I haven't had it very long. I got the EVSE this week. But, like you, I looked for a while and wasn't happy with all the 24A EVSEs. For a while, I thought about building my own 75A EVSE through OpenEVSE as it would not be too much more expensive than a 30A one, but I eventually realized the parts needed were actually pretty hard to find (especially the 80A J1772 cord/plug... no one seems be selling those). A forum member here (Rifleman) pointed out the Juicebox to me and it looked like a good deal for the price, especially since it comes assembled.

I searched around for it on google to see others' experiences... it seems like people were generally happy. EMW is a startup and they did a kickstarter to fund the production of the first EVSEs... there were some issues with the early production, but they have been fixed. Support involves e-mailing them (no phone number on their website), but they are pretty responsive and are involved on a few EV forums. Here are a couple threads about the Juicebox:

15 kW EMW JuiceBox EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

The base model is not fancy (no LED display) but it has worked fine so far. I just plug it in and it charges. Right now, I still have not mounted the EVSE. It does not come with any mounting equipment for the EVSE or a holder for the J1772, which is really my only complaint so far. I'm not very handy and I don't have a desire to drill holes into the EVSE or my wall, so I am going to mount it using 3M Command velcro strips like another person did: EMW Juicebox Level 2 Charging Station | PriusChat

I bought the strips at Home Depot and the 4-pack is rated for 16 lbs... way more than enough for the EVSE (assuming you have something else supporting the J1772 cord).

I'm probably also going to get this J1772 holder: Buy Plastic Parts Here | EVSE Accessories

Also note that the assembled versions come set to 40A, so you will have to contact them to make sure they set it to for 60A (if you want that) before they ship it... but since you're in the bay area, you might just be able to pick it up from them. I believe they are in Palo Alto.

I haven't had it very long. I got the EVSE this week. But, like you, I looked for a while and wasn't happy with all the 24A EVSEs. For a while, I thought about building my own 75A EVSE through OpenEVSE as it would not be too much more expensive than a 30A one, but I eventually realized the parts needed were actually pretty hard to find (especially the 80A J1772 cord/plug... no one seems be selling those). A forum member here (Rifleman) pointed out the Juicebox to me and it looked like a good deal for the price, especially since it comes assembled.

I searched around for it on google to see others' experiences... it seems like people were generally happy. EMW is a startup and they did a kickstarter to fund the production of the first EVSEs... there were some issues with the early production, but they have been fixed. Support involves e-mailing them (no phone number on their website), but they are pretty responsive and are involved on a few EV forums. Here are a couple threads about the Juicebox:

15 kW EMW JuiceBox EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

The base model is not fancy (no LED display) but it has worked fine so far. I just plug it in and it charges. Right now, I still have not mounted the EVSE. It does not come with any mounting equipment for the EVSE or a holder for the J1772, which is really my only complaint so far. I'm not very handy and I don't have a desire to drill holes into the EVSE or my wall, so I am going to mount it using 3M Command velcro strips like another person did: EMW Juicebox Level 2 Charging Station | PriusChat

I bought the strips at Home Depot and the 4-pack is rated for 16 lbs... way more than enough for the EVSE (assuming you have something else supporting the J1772 cord).

I'm probably also going to get this J1772 holder: Buy Plastic Parts Here | EVSE Accessories

Also note that the assembled versions come set to 40A, so you will have to contact them to make sure they set it to for 60A (if you want that) before they ship it... but since you're in the bay area, you might just be able to pick it up from them. I believe they are in Palo Alto.

thanks for sharing your experience. This is very useful.

I recommend that you look for a solution that does not require using an adapter every day at home. It takes me 3 seconds to plug/unplug (I've timed it) using only one hand. Don't make your EV less convenient if you can help it.

...Also note that the MC240 is incompatible with the 2.5's and possibly the 2.0's.

Are you sure about that? Is that because of the GFI that it uses? I thought I've seen 2.5s charging with those.

I'm interested in buying a 220V Charger for my Roadster - HPC or UMC.... Tesla UMC for Roadster seems perpetually sold out. Model S UMC is only $650 (compared to Roadster HPC). Not sure if there is a connector from Model S to Roadster that may make it worthwhile to pursue that path.

I've made all my own charging solutions and if push comes to shove, I would probably sell some parts, like my 80A UL rated EVE charging cable. It has 3 conductors rated for 80A and two small signal conductors. It's not cheap at 8.95/ft. And for an additional $600 I would install a Roadster connector on the end of it. It's not made by Tesla; I made a few of them myself and still have some. It basically looks like the CAN but has a slide switch and a large cable gland on the end.

Another option would be to buy the Model S UMC for $650 and put a Roadster connector on the end of the cable. I would charge about $100 for labor and $600 for the Roadster connector if I could keep the Model S connector. It would only be good for 40A. If you don't want to shell out a lot of money for my Roadster connector, there are a lot of surplus Tesla brand units laying around from broken UMCs and no-longer-used Tesla J1772 adapters. It's a LOT of work and you need special tools to transfer it to a different cable.

In your case, I recommend you acquire a broken UMC (with Roadster connector still intact) and replace the faulty box with a Juice Box or Open EVSE controller. The older service centers all have broken Roadster UMCs tucked away somewhere. A case of beer would prolly buy you one.

I recommend that you look for a solution that does not require using an adapter every day at home. It takes me 3 seconds to plug/unplug (I've timed it) using only one hand. Don't make your EV less convenient if you can help it.

Are you sure about that? Is that because of the GFI that it uses? I thought I've seen 2.5s charging with those.

Well I haven't seen it 1st hand if someone wants to come by my house and test I'm happy to verify and give a free charge!

I recall Doug mentioning it:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/archive/index.php/t-7861.html

Doug_G
03-20-2012, 08:06 AM
There was a firmware upgrade for the 2.0/2.5 that made the MC240 not work, but I heard they subsequently fixed that. You might want to confirm with Tesla.