Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF Alignment Estimate from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think alignments are notoriously unprofitable - doing it well is extremely time-consuming. And they never get it perfect. My local SC quoted me $300+, which I thought was hilarious. After calling 10+ local shops, I finally landed on a reputable one that was willing to align a scary Tesla. They ended up doing a *sugar* job, so I’m hoping to DIY my next one.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
What are you guys doing that makes the alignment go out of adjustment? Everyone getting coil-overs? Maybe letting autopilot mash every pot hole in its path? Finding edge of the road by bouncing off of curbs? Letting your wives drive?

I think alignments are notoriously unprofitable - doing it well is extremely time-consuming. And they never get it perfect. My local SC quoted me $300+, which I thought was hilarious. After calling 10+ local shops, I finally landed on a reputable one that was willing to align a scary Tesla. They ended up doing a *sugar* job, so I’m hoping to DIY my next one.
alignments are just an opportunity to sell people into wheels and tires, suspension and other services

Should have ask the SC: Great, can I bring the car in today? By the way, can I pick the color of the roadster loaner you're giving me?

And I know you guys are pretty booked, would an alignment takes a couple of weeks to complete? I'm not in a rush since I'm shelter at place at home. Take your time!

$516 is the price for an alignment including caster and camber adjustments. If you just need a toe adjustment then it will be more like $150

Camber and caster are crazy hard to do on Model 3
I think this goes deeper than that - camber adjustment is basically non-existent on these cars. Not really even worth talking about - it basically amounts to the "play" between the different components & fasteners. I think the "full alignment" price you've quoted there includes moving subframe around & whatnot - something my local SC guys have said they've had to do to get certain cars back in-spec. Made in California!