Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTT Gen 3 charger or Gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a Gen 3 charger and realized it needs to be hard wired and doesn’t have a 220 plug. Just had my electrician put in a new outlet for me and don’t want to run new wires.

Charger is brand new still in the box. Looking to trade for a excellent condition Gen 2. Want to do local trade live in So. California.

Just saying ..if you want to keep it you can wire it up with the wires going to the new plug. You dont need to run new wires .
Just remove the receptacle, wire it up, and put a cover plate where the receptacle used to be .
OR , wire a plug to your Wall connector and plug it in.
I have both Gen 2 and Gen 3 , the Gen 3 lighter cord is nice , but the Gen 2 is longer (And it can charge faster)

Reactions: JPUConn
Just bought a Gen 3 charger and realized it needs to be hard wired and doesn’t have a 220 plug. Just had my electrician put in a new outlet for me and don’t want to run new wires.

Charger is brand new still in the box. Looking to trade for a excellent condition Gen 2. Want to do local trade live in So. California.

Just trading for a Gen 2 wall connector isn't going to fix anything for you....the Gen 2 is designed to hard-wire in same as the Gen 3.

IMO these are your easiest options:
- Find a Gen 2 with the 14-50 pigtail to trade for. They are rare and I'd be surprised if you found one.
- Add your own 14-50 pigtail to your Gen 3
- Remove the outlet and hard-wire using existing wiring as described above
- Find a UMC (universal mobile connector) with a 14-50 adapter, if you don't have one already. This is different than a wall connector.

Reactions: JPUConn
I mounted the wall connector on the outside of my garage for driveway charging and put a 14-50 on the opposite side to use the mobile connector while parked inside the garage. This configuration gives me the mist flexibility. Since they share a circuit, I just won't ever use both at the same time.

G

Good morning, I am willing to trade and pay the shipping. I have a Gen 2 that has been mounted in my garage since May 2018 and is basically perfect. The only thing is that I need the charger with the long cable, not thde 8 foot version. Is yours the 18' version or the 8' version?

Do you still want to sell your Gen 2 charger?
G

Good morning, I am willing to trade and pay the shipping. I have a Gen 2 that has been mounted in my garage since May 2018 and is basically perfect. The only thing is that I need the charger with the long cable, not thde 8 foot version. Is yours the 18' version or the 8' version?

Do you still want to sell your Gen 2 charger?