Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X and Airstream Bambi - the new adventures 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our revised itinerary:
Aug 7-8. Bay Center/ Willapa Bay KOA WA
Aug 8-9. Ft. Stevens state park, Warrenton, OR
Aug 9-10 Netarts Garden RV park, Netarts Bay, OR
Aug 10-12 Waldport/Newport KOA, Waldport, OR
Aug 12-13 Oregon Dunes KOA, North Bend, OR
Aug 13-15. Humbug Mtn state park, Port Orford, OR
Aug 15 Home to Trinidad, CA

We are happy to meet and demo our rig with anyone who would like to visit. Now out to the campfire!
Going to miss you! Just saw this tread tonight. Heading to San-Jose for work Sunday, or I would have driven out to visit and see your rig. You don't know how excited I was to see this thread. This is my current tow/trailer setup. (See photo.) only issue with the X is we can't put kayaks on top and pull trailer. Have to get a kayak trailer.
IMG_0567.JPG

Reactions: JimVandegriff
He parked next to us and did the Christmas Easter egg musical display for our neighbors which they filmed and loved. That was fun.
Thanks for all the up votes. Just had to include a photo of 2 X's parked at tiny little Waldport -- quite a happening in a small town.
WaldportKOA_Teslas_IMG_6609.jpg

Thanks again for the super hospitality Thursday night Jim and Illijana. And the excellent travel tips on the Olympic Peninsula.
-TechVP

Keep me posted. An Airstream Bambi would be my wife's ideal trailer. We are towing a 15.5' Retro travel trailer with our Volvo XC60. Waiting for X build. Hoping it works for towing.
That is a lovely trailer. You should have no trouble pulling it with your X. Check out Ohmman's thread on his family's airstream adventure. We have found that our wh/m usage runs in the neighborhood off 560 - 600 wh/m generally, with greater usage in wind or with rain, so you can figure your available mileage by dividing your available battery size by this number ( or whatever your wh/m number is with your trailer). Be sure to include a % safety factor depending on your risk tolerance! It is easy finding campgrounds to charge at, and the superchargers are becoming far more numerous. You may want to invest in a chademo adapter for the rare occasions you might need one, and an extension cord for. both 30 and 50 amp charging, as well as a tt-30 adapter specific to electric vehicles for campgrounds with only 30 amp systems. Our trailer is about 3600 lb dry and 4100-4200 loaded. It is a 22 ft Airstream Bambi sport model. Tow limit for Tesla with tow package is 5000 lbs. The vehicle has absolutely no problems with towing that weight, and only impact generally is on range.
Let us all know how your experience goes. Feel free to post questions on any of the threads about towing. Best wishes, Jim

Last edited:
What are the weight specs on your Airstream? (Tongue weight/gross weight).
The 22' Sport has a GVWR of 4500 lbs and weighs 3634 lbs dry. Tongue weight was originally listed at 386, but they've updated it to 422 on the specs page. Good thing, because I have a tongue scale and haven't seen a weight lower than 450, even dry. With my original Bosal hitch, it took a lot of care to keep the tongue under the 500 lb limit. I still try to stay in that realm with my new hitch but I'm not quite as worried as I was.

Thanks. I love the Draw title photos. My only concern now are a couple of reports of max 50kW/h charging at super chargers from two members. Don't have the thread handy, but these two issues are reported to be car (not super charger) related. That would put me in hot water territory with the wife I think 2+ hours at supercharger during a long road trip.

That is a lovely trailer. You should have no trouble pulling it with your X. Check out Ohmman's thread on his family's airstream adventure. We have found that our wh/m usage runs in the neighborhood off 560 - 600 wh/m generally, with greater usage in wind or with rain, so you can figure your available mileage by dividing your available battery size by this number ( or whatever your wh/m number is with your trailer). Be sure to include a % safety factor depending on your risk tolerance! It is easy finding campgrounds to charge at, and the superchargers are becoming far more numerous. You may want to invest in a chademo adapter for the rare occasions you might need one, and an extension cord for. both 30 and 50 amp charging, as well as a tt-30 adapter specific to electric vehicles for campgrounds with only 30 amp systems. Our trailer is about 3600 lb dry and 4100-4200 loaded. It is a 22 ft Airstream Bambi sport model. Tow limit for Tesla with tow package is 5000 lbs. The vehicle has absolutely no problems with towing that weight, and only impact generally is on range.
Let us all know how your experience goes. Feel free to post questions on any of the threads about towing. Best wishes, Jim
My apologies to both Ohmman & yourself. Not paying attention. I've been following Bjorn Nyland's You Tube videos. He pulls a trailer all over Norway so I got some rough ideas of energy consumption/range from that. I'm projecting ~115 mi at the moment between stops until I get real data.
I'm planning on spending $450 for the CHADeMO adaptor to fill in the gaps.

Thanks. I love the Draw title photos. My only concern now are a couple of reports of max 50kW/h charging at super chargers from two members. Don't have the thread handy, but these two issues are reported to be car (not super charger) related. That would put me in hot water territory with the wife I think 2+ hours at supercharger during a long road trip.
I've had 30kW charging at Vacaville on my recent trip but it didn't approach 2 hours. My longest charge was 90 minutes at Corning on my long trip. Otherwise it's almost always under an hour.

Reactions: Rossy
I've had 30kW charging at Vacaville on my recent trip but it didn't approach 2 hours. My longest charge was 90 minutes at Corning on my long trip. Otherwise it's almost always under an hour.
Thx! I'm ok w up to 90 min.
TMC user Mattzilla lives up here in the PNW and after 14 mos of Model S ownership is reporting he can't get above 50kW at Super Chargers. There is a supercharger thread on this I'm watching. I'm a test engineer (IC testing) so my reaction is wanting to take data. I'll probably log my SC experiences while towing. But need to find some way to eliminate the human element in data recording. Will check out some of the Tesla apps I've heard about.

We did not make reservations early (lesson learned), and since we need power at night (for charging and my cpap machine - we don't have an inverter plug yet), we are not doing dry camping.
I bought a 12VDC adaptor for my Resporinics CPAP:
http://www.thecpapshop.com/dc-power...JTn0pYSQD_ucQtV4tVYoGTDaMPJk1crIaAjiBEALw_wcB
This works with 12V motorcycle battery, or I bought the Harborfreight 100Watt solar charger ~$200 and a $65 car battery. The solar unit kept the battery charged all week for dry camping at the Canyon campground at Yellowstone in July. We will have to arrange 50A power to charge the Tesla net trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Thx! I'm ok w up to 90 min.
TMC user Mattzilla lives up here in the PNW and after 14 mos of Model S ownership is reporting he can't get above 50kW at Super Chargers. There is a supercharger thread on this I'm watching. I'm a test engineer (IC testing) so my reaction is wanting to take data. I'll probably log my SC experiences while towing. But need to find some way to eliminate the human element in data recording. Will check out some of the Tesla apps I've heard about.
More of a webpage than an app, but I can vouch for Teslafi. I've been using it basically since we got the X. I love looking at all the charging and usage data.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We are now at the lovely Humbug Mountain state park near Port Orford, on the southern Oregon coast. Great park. We did two short but informative sections of travel to get here. The first was in wet, rainy weather to Bandon to supercharge. In that section we used 622 wh/m in 33 miles. The next section in dry weather and dry pavement along a similar terrain came in at 516 wh/m for 35 miles. It was quite clear to us that wet weather and pavement makes energy use significantly higher. We are enjoying our time here, and are headed to our house tomorrow.

I believe Jim is towing a Sport F22B. It's hard to find full specs on the Airstream website. Trying Googling it.
I linked to the specs above. They're here, but you have to arrow to the right to get to the 22' Sport. They no longer offer anything except a front bedroom (FB). Incidentally, I'd have considered the previous layout which had a front dinette and a gaucho/futon lounge in the galley, if it was offered new.

A final note now that we are home from this trip - we kept checking our hitch receiver for "wiggle" while we were gone (you may remember that we had rangers come to our house and replace the receiver a few days before we left because the original one was seriously loose), and the receiver was solid UNTIL the last two days. It has started to wiggle. It seems clear given both ohmman's and our experiences that the bowsal hitch receiver is not designed for having a weight distribution/anti-sway system and a 4500 lb trailer being towed together. We are now evaluating our options.
We will contact Tesla on Monday or Tuesday to talk with our techs. A likely scenario for us is to replace the hitch receiver with the drawtite version that ohmman has used because we believe that it is important to have weight distribution/anti-sway arrangements when towing a trailer as large as our 22 ft Airstream Bambi.
We enjoyed the trip, were sad we cut it short by a month because of smoke exposure, but are looking forward to our next week long trip in October. More on this towing adventure to follow.