Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X exterior dimensions compared to S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

There does not seem to be a thread specifically about this subject. I searched and found these X dimensions posted by NigelM in the "configuration has begun" thread (X dimensions are not yet shown on the publicly accessible X web page):

Model X
Length 198"
Height 66.3" (doors closed)
Width 89.4" (mirrors extended)
Ground clearance 7.2" (is that with air suspension on a specific setting?)

Model S
Length 196"
Height 56.5
Width 77.3" (mirrors folded) 86.2" (mirrors extended)
Ground clearance 4.7" to 6.4" (air suspension range)

So the X is 2" longer, almost 10" taller, about 3" wider. Seems to have slightly more ground clearance.

My sense is that the X is narrower at the back than the front (probably for aerodynamics), I don't have measurements but that may help with reversing into tight spots.

I never thought of the shape of the car as a "backing wedge". I drive a 2000 Honda Insight that has a very pronounced rear tapering (to the extent that the rear tires are several inches closer together than the front track, which causes handling issues as it turns out), but I never had a need to wedge myself into a parking spot, probably due to the diminutive size of the car.

I searched and found these X dimensions posted by NigelM in the "configuration has begun" thread

Model X
Length 198"
Height 66.3" (doors closed)
Width 89.4" (mirrors extended)
Ground clearance 7.2" (is that with air suspension on a specific setting?)

When I check other sources, I find these measurements:

Model X
Length 197"
Height 64" (falcon wing doors closed)
Width 82" (mirrors folded)

So why the discrepancy? Obviously I'd take Tesla's official numbers over some auto website, but I'd love to know how the Model X achieves a height of 66.3" - is that with the air suspension at 'High' and 22-inch wheels? My wife is disappointed at the driver's sitting height in the Model X because it appears several inches lower than her Toyota Rav4 EV (which was already ~10 inches lower than her 2006 Cadillac Escacalade). At the reveal, I saw my friend who only stands 5'5" appear to be taller than the Model X next to which he was standing, whereas my wife's Rav4 EV is taller than he is.

Model X
Length 197"

So why the discrepancy? Obviously I'd take Tesla's official numbers over some auto website, but I'd love to know how the Model X achieves a height of 66.3" - is that with the air suspension at 'High' and 22-inch wheels? My wife is disappointed at the driver's sitting height in the Model X because it appears several inches lower than her Toyota Rav4 EV (which was already ~10 inches lower than her 2006 Cadillac Escacalade). At the reveal, I saw my friend who only stands 5'5" appear to be taller than the Model X next to which he was standing, whereas my wife's Rav4 EV is taller than he is.

I realize there is some angst on this site re: dimensions but as a current owner of a BMW X5 & Porsche Macan I'm more than satisfied with X's stated dimensions (both are suitable for a 6' 3" 205b guy. Ride height and width were my worries but seeing numbers fears are put to rest.
BMW X5: 193.2-length, 86.5" width-(mirrors extended), 76.3 (folded), Height-69.4", Ground Clearance-8.2"
Porche Macan: 184.3-length, 82.6" width-(mirrors extended), 76.14 (folded), Height-63.4' Ground Clearance-7.8"

Model X
Length 197"

The size of the wheels will make little to no difference in the height. The outside diameter of the tire is the same on the 20" and 22" tires, so that won't change the height of the car.

The air suspension will make a difference, obviously -- about 4" if I remember correctly. However, this is not entirely within the control of the driver, i.e. if your wife wants to sit higher, the air suspension will make little difference since it will readjust itself as the speed of the car changes.

There is a reason regular SUVs get bad fuel economy, and one of the reasons is the poor aerodynamics resulting from high ground clearance and the height of the roof. Aerodynamics has to win out over seating height in an EV -- you can't just pump in more gas like in the Escalade.

The size of the wheels will make little to no difference in the height. The outside diameter of the tire is the same on the 20" and 22" tires, so that won't change the height of the car.

What is the advantage to getting 22-inch wheels, then, if the outside diameter is the same? I also saw in the specs that 22" wheels can't tow as much as 20" wheels. So why would anyone choose the 22s?

What is the advantage to getting 22-inch wheels, then, if the outside diameter is the same? I also saw in the specs that 22" wheels can't tow as much as 20" wheels. So why would anyone choose the 22s?

Bigger wheels with low profile tires look more cooler.

The sidewalls of the tires on the larger wheels have less flex (since there is less rubber there) so the handling is better. But there needs to be more sidewall on the tire for towing, since there will be more weight on the rear tires. Tires with less sidewall height will generally have less weight capacity.

The Model S has 19" and 21" wheels, but the tire outside diameter is virtually identical. The cars with 21" wheels don't sit an inch higher.