Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs. S Family of 6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all,

So my S order just confirmed. I got a 90D with almost everything including the jump seats. We have 4 small kiddos, and maybe more in the future. It turns out my wife and I had some major miscommunication (!) and she thought I was getting the X. This is my vehicle but I do haul the kiddos quite a bit. Our other vehicle is a minivan. We live about 6 hours away from a service center and another should open closer to us soon but it will be about 4 hours away.

So question: should I take the hit and switch to the X for our big family or stick to the S? My ONLY hangup with the X right now is that it's so early in production. Any opinions would be welcome.

EDIT: I should say that we travel a lot and would love to be able to take the Tesla on our road trips

Last edited:
I would say that the X is a better fit for a family of your size. I don't know old your children are but the rear facing seats in the S are of more limited use than the two rear seats in the X, due to the size limitations and isolation.

The FW doors are probably more convenient for loading and unloading, too.

Reactions: Dengar22
I think the S can do the job just fine for a while, until the kids gets older and cannot fit in the third row. How long before the youngest is too old for the third row ? 12 years ? That's still a long way into the future.

We have 3 kids but a 4th is planned and I do haul them around every day. When alone without the wife the older one could go up-front as a front seat passenger, and one would always go in the third row when the whole family go out together. We did twice Montreal - Orlando (3000mi round-trip) with the older in the third row (3 adults, 3 kids). It works great, just need a iPad in the 3rd row... ;)

Also the Classic RWD Model S has a huge Frunk, so storage is not an issue, this is not the case for current AWD Model S... So it may push balance towards the X... Maybe...

PS: Our second car is a Mini cooper classic, that will get replaced by a Model 3... The S is the family car.

I posted this to the Model X Facebook group but reposting here due to relevance.

Hey folks. Just putting this out there to share my experience between owning Model X vs S. We took our 7 seat X to the airport recently and there is no way our S could have ever fit what we packed into our X. Check it out. 3 kids including a 10 month old with car seat. 3 adults. One stroller in the frunk. Two large suitcases (checked baggage) in the trunk. One carry on suitcase under the 2nd row seat. Plus diaper bag and backpacks for the kids that went under the second row. And you know what, we had extra room for a seventh passenger. For those who think the X has just as much room as the S, no freaking way.