Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X windshield insurance claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

number12

Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2016
Tesla
liberty mutual wants to only pay $600 in a zero deductible windshield state?

Safelite says they can do an aftermarket windshield (i do not believe them, nor do I want that).

How can that be true? I pay a premium on my insurance, but get a quote for a civic windshields in price?

Anyone have experience with this?

I am with Nationwide, which I think is owned by Allied. I only pay 1,513/yr with a spotless record. I am in CA, which is pricey. I think the price is great. I was paying about 1,250 for a 37K acura, 1/4 the price of my baby. I honestly thought I'd be in 3-5K range.

What did Allstate quote you? If you don't mind me asking.
They want $3082/12mos. Personal Express Insurance only wants $1190/12mos. As far as I can tell they are the same coverage including "new car replacement". How could it be so much cheaper.

I've got the same question/concern- how could it be so much cheaper?!

Really hope someone in the know takes time to explain...

Hi everyone!

Wow you guys pay a lot for insurance! I'm with progressive and its $286 full coverage for every 6 months! Meanwhile my 2012 Prius c cost $306 every six month.

I asked them why the x cost less? They stated that "it safer the the Prius "

Hi everyone!

Wow you guys pay a lot for insurance! I'm with progressive and its $286 full coverage for every 6 months! Meanwhile my 2012 Prius c cost $306 every six month.

I asked them why the x cost less? They stated that "it safer the the Prius "
I also have Progressive, I am paying $699 for 6 months that includes a 2006 Mariner Hybrid, 2010 VW Beetle Convertible and X75D. Interestingly enough Mariner's premium is the same with Tesla's. One is a 10 year old car worths 7K and the other one is 100K.

Progressive; max coverage, a $500 deductible, 10-year loyalty discount, and I've had to make a few hit and run claims.
$1,100 per year for a Model X
$1,400 per year for a 2007 Prius

I'll never understand how that stuff works. Maybe Progressive thinks Teslas won't get stolen?

Guys - I've posted this many times before. I am a retired insurance broker. It is totally useless to try to compare insurance prices on this forum. There are just too many variables - location, limits, deductibles, optional coverages, driving record, drivers in the household, garage location ad infinitum. It absolutely pays to shop your coverage as there are huge variations among carriers, but to try to do it here is futile and misleading.

With regard to the windshield issue, to my knowledge there are no aftermarket MX windshields and the carrier can't force you to take an inferior product. You are entitled to be restored to the condition before the incident. I would suggest you escalate the issue to the insurance company management, and if that fails to your state insurance department.

Reactions: DiamondHands
Guys - I've posted this many times before. I am a retired insurance broker. It is totally useless to try to compare insurance prices on this forum. There are just too many variables - location, limits, deductibles, optional coverages, driving record, drivers in the household, garage location ad infinitum. It absolutely pays to shop your coverage as there are huge variations among carriers, but to try to do it here is futile and misleading.

With regard to the windshield issue, to my knowledge there are no aftermarket MX windshields and the carrier can't force you to take an inferior product. You are entitled to be restored to the condition before the incident. I would suggest you escalate the issue to the insurance company management, and if that fails to your state insurance department.

The two bigger factors really in insurance price is going to be 1) the location the car resides, and 2) the record of the driver. The safety factor of the car and price would follow next.

In my industry experience:
1. Prices are higher where you see larger immigrant populations that do not obtain insurance, typically Texas, South CA, other border areas, etc. This is just due to the common occurrence of uninsured/underinsured motorist on the roads. We pay a lot less in Chicago now that would in Texas, even though Chicago has some crazy traffic and drivers as well.
2. Record of driver is self explanatory.

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands