Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM and AM radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why no satellite radio? Can this be added in software? I use it quite a bit in the S and would miss it in the 3.

I wish they would have kept the AM radio band too since Tunein doesn’t carry some of the stations that I want. A bit of bad reception and low quality are small sacrifices to pay for having it than none at all.

COULD it be added in software? Sure. It'd require an agreement with Sirius/XM, and using up car bandwidth Tesla doesn't get any more money from you for but is having to pay for though- so it's not going to be added in software.

Only option is streaming over BT from your phone with the app and using your own data and account.

not necessarily. you could theoretically add a portable satellite radio tuner and stream it over bluetooth or FM transmitter...

The portable sat tuner over BT doesn't appear to work (see other thread about a guy looking for a BT aux input)

I suppose the FM method could work but it'd be pretty crap and clunky- especially if you live anywhere populated with a lot of FM stations.

Why no satellite radio? Can this be added in software? I use it quite a bit in the S and would miss it in the 3.

I wish they would have kept the AM radio band too since Tunein doesn’t carry some of the stations that I want. A bit of bad reception and low quality are small sacrifices to pay for having it than none at all.

I have XM in my blue X...for my White one, I've held off since my USB drive carries much of the music I listen to and I bluetooth any baseball games I want off the MLB app.

Of course, Tunein radio is always an option but with FM/AM stations now fragmenting to other platforms, tunein is not as favorable an app as it was years ago.

The portable sat tuner over BT doesn't appear to work (see other thread about a guy looking for a BT aux input)

I suppose the FM method could work but it'd be pretty crap and clunky- especially if you live anywhere populated with a lot of FM stations.

that thread was him looking for a transmitter IIRC, not a bluetooth input. i haven't tried it, but any regular old bluetooth transmitter should work if you pair it with the car...the downside of course is that you'd lose your phone's pairing.

that thread was him looking for a transmitter IIRC, not a bluetooth input. i haven't tried it, but any regular old bluetooth transmitter should work if you pair it with the car...the downside of course is that you'd lose your phone's pairing.

Bluetooth transmitter than works with Model 3

Posts 5-10 especially

Apparently the car doesn’t work with most non-phone Bluetooth inputs

Post 5 is specifically about making an XM radio work and he only got it to do so by connecting through two other bits then it used his phone as the Bluetooth transmitter

Post 10 mentions the poster trying half a dozen non-phone BT transmitters and most didn’t work at all, two sort of worked with manual steps every time you used it

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
These are all creative ideas but It seems that we shouldn't have to do any jury rigging in such a fine car when these features can be added in the Premium Package or as other options - as in the S, e.g. where the glass roof is a necessary option for the XM antenna.

Reactions: longshadows