Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a new Model X100D. I have XM and transferred over my package. I can access all the channels on my old car and on my phone, but the Tesla won't tune past channel 87. Anyone have any suggestions or face similar problems?

Sounds like you haven't completely activated.

Suggest you place your car outside where it is getting XM signal - leave the XM radio running - and have them re-send the activation signal - and keep the radio running on XM for 15 to 30 minutes - and see if that clears it up.

We should be picking our X up late tomorrow or early Thursday - and will be going through the same process of setting up the XM radio and will post if we have any problems.

Got a new Model X100D. I have XM and transferred over my package. I can access all the channels on my old car and on my phone, but the Tesla won't tune past channel 87. Anyone have any suggestions or face similar problems?
Congrats - I come to Erie often as my wife is from there - my X did AWESOME during the Xmas snow storm last year (other than WH/Mile)!

I had no problem with my XM transfer other than I don't like the way it manages via the interface (into folders). I agree with @bob_p and suggest you call XM to verify your subscription and have them resend the activation (trying to force resend from my computer did not work - they needed to do it).

I look forward to seeing yours when I am up in August!

We were able to activate our XM radio on the drive home from the Service Center, though it did take most of the one hour drive to get things worked out with SIriusXM and for the stations to start showing up in our car.

Part of our problem was that SiriusXM showed our car was still a "dealer" vehicle - which prevented us from using the online interface to activate the radio. I had to call them directly, provide them the car information, and they had to work on their end to move our car from "dealer" to "consumer" status. Once that was done, after a few minutes, our XM started working and it took a while longer during the drive before we started seeing status show up on the STATION list.

If you aren't getting channels above 87 - seems like you may have a problem with the subscription being loaded into your car - and you should contact XM and have them re-initialize your XM radio and see if that works.

Ok. I have an answer to the 87-channel problem with Sirius XM in the Model X. Here's the deal. It is a software problem, but neither Tesla nor Sirius XM will take credit for it. The bottom line is that the problem appears to be just with the Model X. In order to go past channel 87, you have to upgrade to the All Access service level for Sirius XM. It is a higher-priced package, of course. So that's the scoop with the 87-channel mystery. Hopefully, they will fix it in the future.

That's why didn't see that issue - we have the All Access service on our 2017 S 100D and our new X 100D...

The issue we had with XM activation on our new X 100D was different. Our X was dropped off by the transport company late Thursday morning. The Service Center quickly prepared it for delivery, and we picked it up a few hours later.

On the drive back from the Service Center after delivery, we tried to activate XM. We couldn't do it online - and were told to call XM's phone support team for assistance. It turned out that our X was still listed in their database as a "dealer vehicle" - which means a consumer is not able to activate the radio - until XM is notified (by Tesla) that the vehicle has been sold. Perhaps because we picked our X up so quickly, this hadn't been done. So we had to wait on the phone with XM for extra time while they updated the database on their end - so we (consumer) could activate that specific radio.

Ok. I have an answer to the 87-channel problem with Sirius XM in the Model X. Here's the deal. It is a software problem, but neither Tesla nor Sirius XM will take credit for it. The bottom line is that the problem appears to be just with the Model X. In order to go past channel 87, you have to upgrade to the All Access service level for Sirius XM. It is a higher-priced package, of course. So that's the scoop with the 87-channel mystery. Hopefully, they will fix it in the future.

Well that’s obnoxious. Maybe with this new update it will work. Out of town now. I’ll give it a go after I can get home and download he new update. Thanks all for the info!!

Depends on your personal preference. I like having XM radio options. I do listen to sports channels and other things outside of just music. I had to upgrade to the high package to get full service on the X. Otherwise it only gives you the first 80 channels. And your radio ID is either on channel 0 or 1

The only XM stations we listen too are live sports and national news - channels that aren't available on streaming channels. And with our radio subscription, we also get access to their mobile streaming app which gives us access to more live channels, including selection of home or away broadcasts for live sports.

Would someone be willing to post a video of what the XM interface looks like on the screen? I'm in the market for a Model S and cannot for the life of me find any videos online of what the UI/UX looks like for XM on the Tesla screen. I've read some people complain about the user interface. I'm coming from a Chevy Volt and the SiriusXM interface on the screen is very good and I'm worried the experience will be worse in the Model S.

p.s. It's also been quite an adventure trying to learn how to tell which cars have satellite radio and which dont! For such a high tech car company this issues seems to be more complicated than it should be.

Would someone be willing to post a video of what the XM interface looks like on the screen? I'm in the market for a Model S and cannot for the life of me find any videos online of what the UI/UX looks like for XM on the Tesla screen. I've read some people complain about the user interface. I'm coming from a Chevy Volt and the SiriusXM interface on the screen is very good and I'm worried the experience will be worse in the Model S.

p.s. It's also been quite an adventure trying to learn how to tell which cars have satellite radio and which dont! For such a high tech car company this issues seems to be more complicated than it should be.

It is really fairly simple. If the car has a glass roof, XM should be usable. If it has a solid roof, no XM. Beyond that, the Internet streaming between Slacker and Tune-in eliminates the need for XM for most of us. Unless you have an addiction to something that is an XM exclusive, you may find XM unnecessary.

The XM interface is similar to the interface used for the other media player sources.

You can set favorite stations - which appear on the same list as favorites for the other sources.

For station browsing, there's a category list that you can navigate to find the specific station you are looking for.

The only item that's missing is a station slider, like what used to be available for other radio bands (AM, FM), that would allow you to quickly move to another station by dragging along the station bar. Instead, you can select a specific station by entering the station number.

We use XM to listen to live national news and live sports. For music, Slacker and Tune-In provide that. On X and MCU2 vehicles without AM radio, you can listen to many of the local AM stations using an HD subchannel on an FM channel - combined with XM for live news/sports, especially when you're away from your home region.

Could the XM interface be better? Yes - but what Tesla provides works good enough for us to have subscriptions in both our S and X.

Plus, our XM subscription comes with XM's streaming app, so we can listen to more stations (such as specific home/visitor live sports broadcasts) by using our smartphone and the streaming - something that would be useful for Tesla to add to their XM media player app.

I have a new S with SiriusXM activated and working. However when I select SXM I am then prompted to either direct tune to a specific station or select a Genre (POP, Rick, etc.). Is there any way to get the radio to show ALL channels and not just one Genre? I like to browse through them numerically. . I guess a workaround is to add every single station to Favorites (assuming there no limit on how many favorites you can have), but is there an All Stations type selection?

I’ve only had my X for a week but have found the XM experience to be poor (frequent drops, sometimes goes away entirely until you stop and restart, poor interface, etc.). Since I have SXM subscriptions for my other cars AND the subscription includes streaming through a mobile device, I may just drop the subscription in my X and stream it through my phone when I want to listen

Haven't had this issue with our 3 Tesla vehicles with XM enabled.

Could be a problem related to your XM antenna, and something to have Tesla check at the next service visit.

With our vehicles, we have XM problems in the obvious areas when something is blocking line-of-sight to the satellites - bridges, inside buildings, dense trees, heavy precipitation, ...