Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Prime XR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John Gray Gulf Coast AutoShield Fantastic guy.. Tell him i said hi.

Thanks @RichardD! I ended up using Josue at Houston PPF. Wrapped my front bumper, headlights, mirrors, back trunk luggage area, center console and screen in Xpel. Also had him tint my M3 with Xpel Prime XR Plus. Love the tint and the wrap. He’s located closer to me and I’ve used him before for my other cars. Price was better too for both Xpel and Tint.

Reactions: RichardD
XPEL Prime is a ceramic tint. It is comparable to Crystalline, but at a lower price-point. When I was getting estimates, I was always quoted more for Crystalline. I've only had the XPEL tint for a couple of days but I like it so far.

What shops were you getting the quotes from?

I called around locally, and the two Crystalline installers are a decent bit cheaper than the one installing Xpel Prime Plus. According to Xpel's spec sheet, their 70 is 2% better TSER than Crystalline, but I dunno that it's worth the extra cost for 2%. I haven't been blown away by Spectra Photosync so now I'm hesitant to pay a premium for tint that's supposed to be higher. And I'm REALLY heat adverse.

Note, I'm talking about the new XR Plus, which is supposed to be even higher than the Black (which has 1% lower TSER than Crystalline).

Just the California markup. XPEL factory shops in Texas charge $399 for it. (Its headquarters is in San Antonio and has factory shops in the major Texas cities).
XPEL Austin now adds a $100 surcharge for the difficult one-piece rear window install. However, they give discounts for various car clubs, so Prime XR can be had for $499 - 10% = $449. Meanwhile, Sunbusters in Austin (where I usually get all of my cars done) charges $200 more for the Model 3's rear window, so $649 for F1 Pinnacle. They offered me 10% off for being a loyal customer, which brings it down to $584. Pretty sure I'm just going to go with XPEL Prime XR.

I am also doing Xpel Prime XR (Black). $445 here in Chantilly, VA. Though I was told that this will be going up because now that installers are raising the prices due to the annoying rear window on the model 3. Basically price vs performance vs color in the end it gave me what I wanted.

XPEL Austin now adds a $100 surcharge for the difficult one-piece rear window install. However, they give discounts for various car clubs, so Prime XR can be had for $499 - 10% = $449. Meanwhile, Sunbusters in Austin (where I usually get all of my cars done) charges $200 more for the Model 3's rear window, so $649 for F1 Pinnacle. They offered me 10% off for being a loyal customer, which brings it down to $584. Pretty sure I'm just going to go with XPEL Prime XR.
I just called XPEL Austin to schedule an appointment because my car is finally about to arrive. Prime XR is now $699!!! :eek: I wish I had been able to get in when it was only $399. Insanity. Anyway, the manager told me that he will give me $599 since I had talked to him before price went up. Same 10% club discount applies, so $539. That's the cheapest price I could find for a reputable shop for good quality ceramic tint :( Sunbuster told me that they no longer give loyalty discounts for Model 3 owners since it's so labor intensive, so now that's just $649 for F1 Pinnacle.

I just called XPEL Austin to schedule an appointment because my car is finally about to arrive. Prime XR is now $699!!! :eek: I wish I had been able to get in when it was only $399. Insanity. Anyway, the manager told me that he will give me $599 since I had talked to him before price went up. Same 10% club discount applies, so $539. That's the cheapest price I could find for a reputable shop for good quality ceramic tint :( Sunbuster told me that they no longer give loyalty discounts for Model 3 owners since it's so labor intensive, so now that's just $649 for F1 Pinnacle.

You’ve gotta be kidding me... This makes me consider looking elsewhere outside of Austin (San Marcos, San Antonio maybe Hoston) to get this done. $699 is crazy and more than they are getting charged in California....

You’ve gotta be kidding me... This makes me consider looking elsewhere outside of Austin (San Marcos, San Antonio maybe Hoston) to get this done. $699 is crazy and more than they are getting charged in California....

Hmm. Pinnacle for $550 is what I was quoted and sounds like a steal compared to other quotes here in Western Washington. Sounds like pricing is all over the board with markets like western Washington being above average.

A7933F8C-AF6C-4513-83EF-446C54D4D9EF.jpeg 01677447-A912-4000-A2C4-DEB810BDEF01.jpeg

I had the air 80 blue installed on the windshield. I have a spot right in my field of view that appears distorted. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it kinda blurs things outside. I was hoping it would go away as the film dried, but I don’t think it will.

Has anyone had any issues with this film on the windshield?

I ended up getting the Rayno S9 ceramic tint on the windows/roof. 35%. I was going to do 50% on the front windows but the shop ran out of film.

Attachments

• BB5F308B-4957-4EA5-80E0-16A8C18F1D95.jpeg
    BB5F308B-4957-4EA5-80E0-16A8C18F1D95.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 724
View attachment 346800 View attachment 346802

I had the air 80 blue installed on the windshield. I have a spot right in my field of view that appears distorted. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it kinda blurs things outside. I was hoping it would go away as the film dried, but I don’t think it will.

Has anyone had any issues with this film on the windshield?

I ended up getting the Rayno S9 ceramic tint on the windows/roof. 35%. I was going to do 50% on the front windows but the shop ran out of film.
This thread is for XPEL Prime XR tint...

Just as an update, I did get Prime XR Black put on. 35% all around. The side windows are perfect, but I've noticed some debris under the rear windshield film. Looks like specks of dust and maybe a hair. I had to leave on a trip, so I haven't had time to really look at it. I may have to take it back and ask for a redo. This was done by XPEL Austin.

I own a tint shop in Hawaii (20 years) and have done about 19 model 3’s. There definitely is a reason for the high price of tinting a Model 3. The labor is a huge component. The waste is also another component. That rear window needs to be pulled from a 60” roll, and leaves a 15”x55” piece of film; which is barely useable unless I get a bunch of Miatas/Porsche’s. I typically charge 420 for a model 3 with Solar Gard Ultra Performance or Madico Black Pearl Ceramic; windshields add $160 with Wincos 90. I’ve read some really high quotes on this thread, and I think it’s mostly due to the initial rush of the vehicle, and the shock of the back window. As an installer, it seems impossible at first touch. I believe that someone said they paid $1,000 for suntek and I think that’s crazy. I ordered a few rolls and am not convinced with that product. It’s really cheap too. I do have some XPEL XR black and XR plus ready to test out in my shop. The film looks beautiful.

• Informative
Reactions: JFChenger
This thread is for XPEL Prime XR tint...

Just as an update, I did get Prime XR Black put on. 35% all around. The side windows are perfect, but I've noticed some debris under the rear windshield film. Looks like specks of dust and maybe a hair. I had to leave on a trip, so I haven't had time to really look at it. I may have to take it back and ask for a redo. This was done by XPEL Austin.
Forgot to update the situation. I went back and had them redo the rear windshield - a different installer this time. This time it was perfect, no debris under the film.