TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

XPEL Prime XR?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Red3, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Red3

Red3 Member

Hi folks,

Long time lurker finally joining the club! I just ordered a red 3 and now I am looking to customize. So many aftermarket options! One thing I definitely want to do is tint. I was looking at Crystaline but one of the dealers that I reached out to about XPEL Ultimate Plus uses XPEL Prime XR Black for tinting. I tried searching the forums and I really couldn't find much info about their tint. XPEL Prime XR Black and Crystaline are very similar in terms of TSER, Infared rejection, UV rejection, and glare rejection. Anyone have experiences with XPEL Prime XR tint? I was quoted $600 for all the windows, excluding front windshield. They confirmed the back would be one-piece.

• Like x 1
  2. RichardD

RichardD Member

I have it on my S and love it.. Paid alot less in Houston

3. WatchingYou

WatchingYou New Member

Hello,
    In my country (Cheaper labour than the US) I was quoted $400 for Xpel prime XR, all the windows including the front windshield, Is that too cheap for what it is or am I paranoid?

4. Red3

Red3 Member

It’s the California markup. Also, I think the large rear windshield on the 3 really jacks up the price.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Just the California markup. XPEL factory shops in Texas charge $399 for it. (Its headquarters is in San Antonio and has factory shops in the major Texas cities).

6. WatchingYou

WatchingYou New Member

How would you say Xpel prime XR compares to other films like 3M ceramic or Llumar or Formula1 etc..?

7. ergela

ergela Member

Also interested in this comparison....

8. WatchingYou

WatchingYou New Member

9. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

10. ergela

ergela Member

I went ahead and got XPEL Prime XR. From a heat rejection stand point it seems to be about the same as my huper optik from my old car. Film is crystal clear. My only complaint is the color, It's more of a brown/yellow color than grey. I got all windows and roof done with Xpel (35%). I picked Photosync for my windshield.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. flyinghawaiian

I had Pinnacle Formula 1 on my Bmw M3 and Photosync on our Model S.

We opted to try the Xpel XR Black on the Model 3 since the price was way cheaper than other tints and they did the rear window with one single film for no extra cost. I thought it came out great. Looks great and I can feel it keeping the car cool. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the F1 and Photosync. We liked it so much I tinted the Model X with the Xpel XR Black.

As for the comment it being more of a brown/yellow, I'm not quite sure what that's about. My tint is really black.

12. ergela

ergela Member

XR Prime Black is a different shade than their standard XR Prime. The regular prime is what shows up brown/yellow. Wish my local shop had the black available...

• Informative x 1
  13. scrapps

scrapps Member

I have the black @35% and it’s excellent, very happy with it. Was $549 for all apart from windshield from a very reputable place in CT. I wouldn’t be surprised if a ship who had experience with the mode 3 charged more, as apparently that back piece is a pain in the butt to get on well.

14. ergela

ergela Member

15. scrapps

scrapps Member

E7E87CCD-8FE4-4409-A201-03C3F080923E.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. netjack

netjack Member

Oh nice rims - which ones and how much?

17. scrapps

scrapps Member

TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal 20x8.5 and 20x10. $1273

18. Liemydude

Liemydude Member

Where did you get yours done in Houston?

19. RichardD

RichardD Member

John Gray Gulf Coast AutoShield Fantastic guy.. Tell him i said hi.

20. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@scrapps,

Looks great! Is the Xpel Prime Black a Ceramic tint?

Ski

21. Red3

Red3 Member

XPEL Prime is a ceramic tint. It is comparable to Crystalline, but at a lower price-point. When I was getting estimates, I was always quoted more for Crystalline. I've only had the XPEL tint for a couple of days but I like it so far.