Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel really invisible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wax yes but opticoat not, Xpel has a self healing feature due to "soft" top however coating this top layer will but a hard layer on top of it, our detailers in The Netherlands strongly advice not to do a coating on top of the Xpel.
t

This makes sense to me based upon the healing properties. I will have to ask the folks at Xpel. I wrote to Griot's a while ago and they make no product for coating Xpel and appear to have very few requests for such.

Wax yes but opticoat not, Xpel has a self healing feature due to "soft" top however coating this top layer will but a hard layer on top of it, our detailers in The Netherlands strongly advice not to do a coating on top of the Xpel.

Xpel ultimate does. Xpel doesn't. Xpel says you can use regular wax and even buff out scratches. They warn against using wax or abrasives on Ultimate. Instead they recommend their own branded "Paint Protection Film Sealant" for Xpel Ultimate. I bought an entire gallon because the cost of that was barely double the cost of pint.

Just got this email today from Optimum. Last year while visiting XPEL in San Antonio I spoke with them about coatings and at the time they were actually working on certifying Opti-Coat on top of XPEL. At the time no other coatings were being considered. XPEL recommends Opti-Coat be applied after XPEL and not before. Makes sense as XPEL is your physical protection where Opti is your chemical protection. It would be non-beneficial to apply before installing XPEL therefore.

Hope this clear up any confusion when using these two products together.

Opti-Coat improves surface properties of XPEL
Press Release 8/17/15

We are pleased to announce that after several weeks of testing XPEL has confirmed that Opti-Coat will improve the protective properties of XPEL films and makes the surface more hydrophobic and more difficult to stain according to Alex Valencia, Senior Product Instructor at XPEL.

For questions or comments please contact Optimum via email @ [email protected].

Thank you.

Your Optimum Team

I literally just got off the phone with Jeff Phillips, the Xpel national sales manager, and he said there has been zero formal testing of any coating on their film. What he said is that they have observed that OC does no harm to the film over time. In short, he repeated what is said here about Opti-Coat and Cquartz: XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions

When they do test for coatings over their film, they will be testing many coatings(7 or so) to see what they feel are a good fit for the film or not. Until that point, he said there was only 1 coating that he said was outright bad for Xpel. I should receive an email from Jeff in the near future outlining the details of that product. I ask if, by chance, the bad coating was Modesta(as I have interest in the quality of that product) and he said that he was certain it was not Modesta, CQuartz or OC.

I literally just got off the phone with Jeff Phillips, the Xpel national sales manager, and he said there has been zero formal testing of any coating on their film. What he said is that they have observed that OC does no harm to the film over time. In short, he repeated what is said here about Opti-Coat and Cquartz: XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions

When they do test for coatings over their film, they will be testing many coatings(7 or so) to see what they feel are a good fit for the film or not. Until that point, he said there was only 1 coating that he said was outright bad for Xpel. I should receive an email from Jeff in the near future outlining the details of that product. I ask if, by chance, the bad coating was Modesta(as I have interest in the quality of that product) and he said that he was certain it was not Modesta, CQuartz or OC.

Interesting? Maybe its just informal testing or someone is not supplying correct info? Last summer when I visited I know it was informal testing but it was mentioned they were not going to look at other products as too many existed to do all of them but they were looking to certify Opti at the time. That was just a conversation I had with someone at XPEL. Perhaps that stance has changed? Either or I have had great results applying it over PPF and/or wraps and would continue to do so.

I am curious to which coating harmed XPEL though. Definitely want to steer my customers clear of that one if it causes issues.