Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Stealth wrap completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. My installer did the exact opposite; took off the repeaters but not the fender panels. I've gotten bubbles and fingers around 3 of the 4 fender panels so I guess I should have insisted that they tuck under the fender panels too.
Fender panels ... do you mean the whole fender or that black piece around the wheel wells? They really don't need to be tucked in between panels. I think that is problematic as it would be hard to get consistent adhesion along the edge. It is best to wrap around where you have room to do so. Placing the edge right up to the curve at panel interfaces is good. That allows easy access with a heat gun and good consistent pressure through a ghost glove. The PPF adhesive can definitely stick there. If there are problems they use a tack solution to wash the soap solution off.

Fender panels ... do you mean the whole fender or that black piece around the wheel wells? They really don't need to be tucked in between panels. I think that is problematic as it would be hard to get consistent adhesion along the edge. It is best to wrap around where you have room to do so. Placing the edge right up to the curve at panel interfaces is good. That allows easy access with a heat gun and good consistent pressure through a ghost glove. The PPF adhesive can definitely stick there. If there are problems they use a tack solution to wash the soap solution off.
The black piece. He did not remove the black piece, and that's where the film failed on 3 of the 4 wheel wells.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I paid $6050 for the PPF plus XPEL Prime XR-Plus window tint on all window and windshield. I did negotiate about $1300 off the original quoted price, but this was based on other quotes I received from my surrounding area. So, no, I don’t feel that I paid less than the average going rate which would justify hesitation in asking for a correction to one panel. In fact, the sales rep encouraged that I stay in contact if I have and questions or concerns. They really have offered excellent customer service so far, especially for the Portland area, so fingers crossed it continues after sale.

They posted a video clip of my vehicle project, which shows they removed the fender panels, but not the side camera/turn signal housing. When researching before hand, I watched videos of other companies removing this camera housing and tuck the film under the housing. So this must be another difference of using templates vs no templates. I did notice the edge of the film around the camera housing, which exposes the non-protected paint around the housing as well, but I’m trying to let it go, as it is hardly noticeable.

Honestly, I wish I had found a forum thread with these questions and photos before I took mine in for PPF, it would have helped me ask questions to the installer before the job was started. I can only hope that this info helps educate others. This experience has definitely helped me with my future
This is a picture of my car getting XPEL
You can see the repeater, the panels and lights are removed. No seams at all.
IMG_8342.jpeg

Reactions: ASN21