Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Stealth wrap completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've observed online, I think it depends on your installer.

Some installers seem to cut around the emblems, leaving them intact. Others seem to replace the emblems on top of the PPF. I made a request that my installer leave the emblems off, as I personally like the look better without emblems and text, but it's definitely a personal choice.

My installer gave me the emblems back, and I can see they used the string tool to remove them off the car, which removes a lot of the adhesive. I suppose you could apply new adhesive and reuse the original emblems. Or you could purchase new emblems in various places online for around $35 each. If I were to replace the emblems, I personally would replace them with black emblems...however, I don't see the need for them myself. It's not like everyone does not instantly know it's a Tesla with or without the emblems, nor do I personally care if they do or not. I like the smooth lines without the logos and text.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 10.33.33 AM.png

Reactions: ASN21
The only issue that I am not 100% satisfied with on my install, is how they handled the rear potion around the spoiler. They left a seam that is visible. Can anyone provide insight on how their installer handled the same area? I may go back and ask them to redo this section if there is a way to install without a seam. Thanks

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 12.11.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 12.11.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 12.11.58 PM.png

The only issue that I am not 100% satisfied with on my install, is how they handled the rear potion around the spoiler. They left a seam that is visible. Can anyone provide insight on how their installer handled the same area? I may go back and ask them to redo this section if there is a way to install without a seam. Thanks

View attachment 923513View attachment 923514View attachment 923515

View attachment 923513View attachment 923514View attachment 923515
That is common when depending entirely on precuts. I did my whole car (Feb 2022 MSLR) myself
DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
I did not use the hatch precut just because of that seem right on the edge. I used a bulk install process just for the hatch. That required a plan, some youtube research and some guts. Over a year now and it's still beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: zekebier
Wow, that looks nice. Thank you for sharing….looks like I’ll need to call the shop up for a little panel correction!
Be prepared for some push back. It's a standard precut and I bet nobody, them or you, talked about seams. Its not a bad job, its about as good as can be done with a precut. For the correction, as you say, to be carried out they'll have to change to a bulk process which will require fin removal. I can also see they PPFed the fin with two pieces. You probably could do without PPF at all on the fin. Get it redone but don't be too tight about a little more $. Bulk application, especially in this area, requires more material, more steps and more skill.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback.
I will definitely approach this with an open mind. I now understand that having a seam is a valid method, and no, there was not any discussions about seams vs. no seams before hand, as I was not fully educated on all the different approaches that could be taken.
I should state again that, I do feel the crew at Elite Window Tint did a stealer job at both customer service and tinting/wrapping my vehicle, and I would still highly recommend them to anyone in the market, as well as take my next vehicle there.
This seam is my only issue with the project, and really it's not a huge issue, as the seam is barely noticeable. However, because the price to wrap is so high, and I tend to perseverate on little details like this, I feel I have a valid position to at least call and have a conversation about this seam....If nothing comes from it, then life will continue forward. If this is my biggest issue in life, I'd consider myself extremely lucky!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Reapplying new PPF is easy and it offers good protection to the original paint.
Repainting would be the late thing that I would like to do. There is no guarantee that the new paint will be 100% matched the other parts of the car.
Exactly, getting the paint job for one door to match perfectly is not guaranteed, plus I have XPEL Stealth which changes the look of the car and trying to match the matte paint would probably be even more difficult. Quite happy with it

One more question I have on this subject is:

Is there an issue with removing the spoiler and getting it to restock to the PPF?

I’ve read others that stated “the spoiler is one time use” and when you remove it, you need to replace it because you’ll have sticking issues.

I also read someone else stating that the spoiler has troubles sticking to the PPF.

Logic tells me that seeing the image above from @kfc2, with the spoiler seemingly nicely stuck to the outside of the PPF, that there should be no issue. However, I don’t know the full background story of the photo, so I’m not sure if there were issues, or if the spoiler is even stuck on top of the PPF or not.

Thanks

Thank you for your feedback.
I will definitely approach this with an open mind. I now understand that having a seam is a valid method, and no, there was not any discussions about seams vs. no seams before hand, as I was not fully educated on all the different approaches that could be taken.
I should state again that, I do feel the crew at Elite Window Tint did a stealer job at both customer service and tinting/wrapping my vehicle, and I would still highly recommend them to anyone in the market, as well as take my next vehicle there.
This seam is my only issue with the project, and really it's not a huge issue, as the seam is barely noticeable. However, because the price to wrap is so high, and I tend to perseverate on little details like this, I feel I have a valid position to at least call and have a conversation about this seam....If nothing comes from it, then life will continue forward. If this is my biggest issue in life, I'd consider myself extremely lucky!
I have no seams on mine either. I don't know how much you paid for yours, but the way I feel, and from the research I did, the installers did not use precut, the cut themselves so that no seams are seen. One of the reasons it takes several days is the removing of panels to tuck the PPF into. So I do not think you are out of bounds to ask them to fix that issue (unless of course it was not a standard amount of money that you paid for the job).

Is there an issue with removing the spoiler and getting it to restock to the PPF?

I’ve read others that stated “the spoiler is one time use” and when you remove it, you need to replace it because you’ll have sticking issues.

I also read someone else stating that the spoiler has troubles sticking to the PPF.

Logic tells me that seeing the image above from @kfc2, with the spoiler seemingly nicely stuck to the outside of the PPF, that there should be no issue. However, I don’t know the full background story of the photo, so I’m not sure if there were issues, or if the spoiler is even stuck on top of the PPF or not.

Thanks
Not at all, they will probably need to use different double-sided tape (make sure they use 3M or equivalent), but it is not an issue at all. I put a spoiler on after my PPF was installed. It is more work but the same as putting the badges back on.

I have no seams on mine either. I don't know how much you paid for yours, but the way I feel, and from the research I did, the installers did not use precut, the cut themselves so that no seams are seen. One of the reasons it takes several days is the removing of panels to tuck the PPF into. So I do not think you are out of bounds to ask them to fix that issue (unless of course it was not a standard amount of money that you paid for the job).

I paid $6050 for the PPF plus XPEL Prime XR-Plus window tint on all window and windshield. I did negotiate about $1300 off the original quoted price, but this was based on other quotes I received from my surrounding area. So, no, I don’t feel that I paid less than the average going rate which would justify hesitation in asking for a correction to one panel. In fact, the sales rep encouraged that I stay in contact if I have and questions or concerns. They really have offered excellent customer service so far, especially for the Portland area, so fingers crossed it continues after sale.

They posted a video clip of my vehicle project, which shows they removed the fender panels, but not the side camera/turn signal housing. When researching before hand, I watched videos of other companies removing this camera housing and tuck the film under the housing. So this must be another difference of using templates vs no templates. I did notice the edge of the film around the camera housing, which exposes the non-protected paint around the housing as well, but I’m trying to let it go, as it is hardly noticeable.

Honestly, I wish I had found a forum thread with these questions and photos before I took mine in for PPF, it would have helped me ask questions to the installer before the job was started. I can only hope that this info helps educate others. This experience has definitely helped me with my future vehicles.

Instagram video clip of my vehicle:

Photo of film around housing:
IMG_5578.jpeg

I paid $6050 for the PPF plus XPEL Prime XR-Plus window tint on all window and windshield. I did negotiate about $1300 off the original quoted price, but this was based on other quotes I received from my surrounding area. So, no, I don’t feel that I paid less than the average going rate which would justify hesitation in asking for a correction to one panel. In fact, the sales rep encouraged that I stay in contact if I have and questions or concerns. They really have offered excellent customer service so far, especially for the Portland area, so fingers crossed it continues after sale.

They posted a video clip of my vehicle project, which shows they removed the fender panels, but not the side camera/turn signal housing. When researching before hand, I watched videos of other companies removing this camera housing and tuck the film under the housing. So this must be another difference of using templates vs no templates. I did notice the edge of the film around the camera housing, which exposes the non-protected paint around the housing as well, but I’m trying to let it go, as it is hardly noticeable.

Honestly, I wish I had found a forum thread with these questions and photos before I took mine in for PPF, it would have helped me ask questions to the installer before the job was started. I can only hope that this info helps educate others. This experience has definitely helped me with my future vehicles.

View attachment 923796
Your car looks great. When I did my fenders I took the repeaters off. Easy enough and definitely no edges showing around them.

Thanks
Hi Zekebier,
The spoiler is the original spoiler from the MYP package. The installer put it back on the car after the car was totally finished.
It looks very stable to me.

Last edited:

View attachment 923796
Interesting. My installer did the exact opposite; took off the repeaters but not the fender panels. I've gotten bubbles and fingers around 3 of the 4 fender panels so I guess I should have insisted that they tuck under the fender panels too.