Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel tint has wavy texture on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying with your tint, the same issue? Maybe it is less of an issue because of the angle of the windscreen. More vertical on the Y so I am looking through less of the tint. Maybe I was farther away in the Y from the window too so not quite as obvious.

Are you saying with your tint, the same issue? Maybe it is less of an issue because of the angle of the windscreen. More vertical on the Y so I am looking through less of the tint. Maybe I was farther away in the Y from the window too so not quite as obvious.
Yes, with Xpel 70% tint. I believe this is due to the S having more curve angles. You can find a straight pavement line or curb as a reference point, and you will also see the wavy effect on the Y with the tint on it.

It's not noticeable for daily driving, which I am willing to deal with it.

The S can be noticed even without the tint on it, as many members here have noticed as well

I had my tint place tell me (even before doing tint which they haven’t done yet) that it’s a known issue with teslas windshields, and Tesla has been replacing the windshields. You can look at the windshield from an angle with absolutely no tint and see the waves; I’ll be calling Tesla soon

Reactions: TBrownTX
Are you positive the windshield itself isn't wavy and the tint is just making it more recognizable? Even OEM glass can be wavy as my BMW X3MC has some waves in the windshield which is factory glass.

Exactly what I was thinking. My Tesla factory windshield looks wavy without tint from side angles. Maybe didn't notice before. Oftentimes, there are issues ahead of us making changes, and we assume they are a result of the changes, because we never looked closely in the first place.

Tim

That's good that I have found this thread. I am not alone.
Tinted Model Y, Xpel XR Plus, 30% fronts, all other windows including windshield at 70%. And when picked up the car, I have immediately noticed the waviness of the view through the windshield. I am 100% it was not a thing when there was no film.
I waited for two weeks, thinking that maybe the film need to cure and it goes away, but it didn't. The haze went away, and the glass is clear but this waviness is very annoying. All other windows are fine, except the windshield.
I called the shop, they told to come and show it and will re-do it with wididshield. They told that maybe it was not a good batch of film. Going to visit them next week, will see...

Reactions: DocHolliday
I had the exact same issue at my trusted tint shop. They said maybe it was a bad batch and ordered more film. When it came in and they re-did it it was better but still noticeable. And this is not the wider vertical waves that are a common result of the glass manufacturing process (I have a little bit of that too), this is a pattern/texture that makes everything look a little distorted and less clear. I’m living with it for now but will probably try other shops in the area and see what they say.

Reactions: Art84
So... I went to the shop and there were 3 people looking at my windshield and it was hard for them to see this "waviness" which I see.. By the way my wife also doesn't see it, so is it something wrong with me???
So the guys in the shop were able to see the distortion under certain angles, and they told me that this is not a film - it's the glass itself because it's laminated. They had the Model 3 on their parking lot without a tint and let me look into it, and to my surprise, I was able to see a similar "waviness" on the untinted windshield of Model 3. At this moment I am completely stuck...
Why I didn't notice this before the tint?
The guys in the tint shop told me that this is a "new car syndrome", when you excited about a new car you don't notice a lot, but after a few weeks you start finding imperfections. Then told me that if I want, they can remove the film so I can see this on my untinted glass... but I told no, it's fine... I guess I just have to get used to it :(
And I definitely take a look at some other Teslas without a tint, when I have this opportunity just to confirm if other cars have this.
But the fact that my wife does not see anything, and for her, it's just regular clear glass, makes me think that maybe it's something wrong with me as well... :((

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday