Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Wrap - Seams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it common to see seams on a xpel wrap, or any PPF for that matter? I just had my M3 done, and I can see them at many locations. I am waiting to talk to the place that did the work, but I wanted to get some expectations first. See the pictures below (ignore my ugly mug from one of them please :) )

Attachments

• IMG_6255.JPG
    IMG_6255.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_6259.JPG
    IMG_6259.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_6256.JPG
    IMG_6256.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 657
Is it common to see seams on a xpel wrap, or any PPF for that matter? I just had my M3 done, and I can see them at many locations. I am waiting to talk to the place that did the work, but I wanted to get some expectations first. See the pictures below (ignore my ugly mug from one of them please :) )
For my MX, I had the Xpel precut versions installed and yes if you look close enough (like you're doing) you see the seams. With the precut, they don't wrap over the edges and fold it (as Fusion mentions).

For my M3, I had it done custom by a different installer with Clearguard Nano since at that time, the pre-cut Xpel versions were not available yet. On that installation you do not see any seams or can tell that it has been wrapped. Having said that it, the custom install was more expensive for less coverage area than the MX. The MX was wrapped everywhere (mind you a lot more surface area) vs I did not do the doors for the M3 and it costed about the same.

In the end, I don't look close enough to care one way or another--I am just happy to have the protection given the amount of rocks and debris I deal with on my commute. So far, it has saved me numerous times as the PPF just self heals and my car is back to new.

For my MX, I had the Xpel precut versions installed and yes if you look close enough (like you're doing) you see the seams. With the precut, they don't wrap over the edges and fold it (as Fusion mentions).

For my M3, I had it done custom by a different installer with Clearguard Nano since at that time, the pre-cut Xpel versions were not available yet. On that installation you do not see any seams or can tell that it has been wrapped. Having said that it, the custom install was more expensive for less coverage area than the MX. The MX was wrapped everywhere (mind you a lot more surface area) vs I did not do the doors for the M3 and it costed about the same.

In the end, I don't look close enough to care one way or another--I am just happy to have the protection given the amount of rocks and debris I deal with on my commute. So far, it has saved me numerous times as the PPF just self heals and my car is back to new.

Thanks. I guess for a partial wrap (front panels, bumper, no doors etc) at $2500, I was expecting more.

most shops use a pre-cut design and do edits to it to add extra inches.

the better shops will do their best to wrap around where it is possible but you will still get a seam here and there as the material is not as flexible if you are comparing it to something like a vinyl wrap.

Look at it this way, for slightly more coverage on my M3 (I got lights, mirrors, and rocker panels), I paid well over $4k. It is not easy work to do this stuff and to do it well takes skill.

Agree that - whether your installer uses precut or custom wraps it - this is difficult work and the actual person installing it makes all the difference. My installer said he doesn't use Xpel because it tends to lift more than Suntek. Whatever they use, however, it's more art than science. It helps if your installer isn't overworked and is something of an enthusiast.

Agree that - whether your installer uses precut or custom wraps it - this is difficult work and the actual person installing it makes all the difference. My installer said he doesn't use Xpel because it tends to lift more than Suntek. Whatever they use, however, it's more art than science. It helps if your installer isn't overworked and is something of an enthusiast.
Totally agree, folks get caught up with the brand when most of the new films will last for years but the bottom line comes down to the installer.... his experience.

most shops use a pre-cut design and do edits to it to add extra inches.

the better shops will do their best to wrap around where it is possible but you will still get a seam here and there as the material is not as flexible if you are comparing it to something like a vinyl wrap.

This. Any shop worth their $$$ will know this and do it right. While you won't be totally seamless, it should be minimal if they have skill.

Reactions: P85_DA