Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Perf AWD Long range battery capacity???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. Just picked got a Y AWD Perf Long range and I am not happy with the battery capacity.

I live in SF and drove to Fresno when I got the car. I was expecting 280 miles but got around 250. I understand the driving dynamics and road conditions. I get that

The issue I am having is that there seems to be some sort of vampire drain. I turned off summon and sentry mode at home but I am losing about 10 miles a day of no driving.

My wife has a model 3 and there are no issues. I have a feeling it is tied to HW3. Properly doing power management is extremely hard so maybe Tesla hasn't worked out all the issues.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Hey guys. Just picked got a Y AWD Perf Long range and I am not happy with the battery capacity.

I live in SF and drove to Fresno when I got the car. I was expecting 280 miles but got around 250. I understand the driving dynamics and road conditions. I get that

The issue I am having is that there seems to be some sort of vampire drain. I turned off summon and sentry mode at home but I am losing about 10 miles a day of no driving.

My wife has a model 3 and there are no issues. I have a feeling it is tied to HW3. Properly doing power management is extremely hard so maybe Tesla hasn't worked out all the issues.

Exactly my point here:
Model Y Performance Energy Consumption Is Pretty High

and here:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4611558/

People should expect 250miles in usual conditions, not 280. This was a little bit of a surprise for me.

i actually think there is some kind of bug. The car runs a lot. I use a 12 V outdoor charger here at work. With my Model S before trading it in. I gets consistently 4 mi/hr charging. With the Y at the same outlet here at work. It takes a while to get the 5 mi/hr charge, and often time it will drop back to 0 mi/hr. I have to stop charging and start again through out the day and it will stay at 5 mi/hr for a little then go back to 0. Pretty frustrating. I tested it at the outlet at my house, same thing. while testing in the garage, I keep hearing the noises from the car. Seems like something is running. It's not super cold either. Weather been at 50 to 60 degrees here and no heat or AC running. Hopefully it's just some bug that Tesla can fix with an update. This along with the dual zone climate that's not working for anyone right now.

i actually think there is some kind of bug. The car runs a lot. I use a 12 V outdoor charger here at work. With my Model S before trading it in. I gets consistently 4 mi/hr charging. With the Y at the same outlet here at work. It takes a while to get the 5 mi/hr charge, and often time it will drop back to 0 mi/hr. I have to stop charging and start again through out the day and it will stay at 5 mi/hr for a little then go back to 0. Pretty frustrating. I tested it at the outlet at my house, same thing. while testing in the garage, I keep hearing the noises from the car. Seems like something is running. It's not super cold either. Weather been at 50 to 60 degrees here and no heat or AC running. Hopefully it's just some bug that Tesla can fix with an update. This along with the dual zone climate that's not working for anyone right now.

I noticed the same thing. The car seems to be still on...I hear similar noises. I think its a bug too. I'm not surprised on the range but the vampire drain is pissing me off.

I noticed the same thing. The car seems to be still on...I hear similar noises. I think its a bug too. I'm not surprised on the range but the vampire drain is pissing me off.
Yeah, I remember as soon as the noise stopped, it went up to charging at 5 mi/hr. I also tried it with the Nema 14-50 outlet in my house. I was only getting 4-5 mi/hr. when the noise stopped, it went up to 30.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye it as well. I charge on a 12V at work too.

The other thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's happening to you guys too: sentry mode goes crazy.

I've had sentry mode put on a light show and will go off every 10 seconds and record an hour straight of video even though nothing seems to be going on...

So I just lost 4% battery life overnight over 8 hours with the car just sitting in the driveway. Sentry mode reported just one "event". The temp was in the 50'sF. There's no way that's normal...
with sentry mode on, 4% over 8 hours is actually pretty normal. My model S that i traded in was like that too. Have you try plugging in a 120 v at work yet?

with sentry mode on, 4% over 8 hours is actually pretty normal. My model S that i traded in was like that too. Have you try plugging in a 120 v at work yet?

Yea I lost ~8% per 24 hours with sentry mode on. Loses less than 1% a day when its "sleeping".

8% of charge is ~ 6kwh, which means an energy draw of about 250 watts. This sounds pretty bad to just keep cameras and a small portion of the computer running. Maybe there should be an option to reduce frame rate/proccesing power for sentry mode...if its closer to 50 watts / ~2% per day thats more manageable.

I usually leave my car parked in a garage during the week, so 5 days of sitting with sentry mode on means 40% battery lost...if its closer to 10% then its manageable.

Yeah, I remember as soon as the noise stopped, it went up to charging at 5 mi/hr. I also tried it with the Nema 14-50 outlet in my house. I was only getting 4-5 mi/hr. when the noise stopped, it went up to 30.

Normal.

The noise is the battery temperature control system heating the battery. This process consumes all of the energy provided by the 120 volt outlet, which is why your charge rate drops to 0 miles per hour. Lithium ion needs to be warm in order to charge and maintain excellent longevity.

I recommend charging on a 240 volt circuit. If you think it’s slow now, wait until winter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: empiredown
Normal.

The noise is the battery temperature control system heating the battery. What you’re hearing is a high pitch noise from the electric motor plus the electric coolant pump running to circulate heat to the battery. This process consumes all of the energy provided by the 120 volt outlet, which is why your charge rate drops to 0 miles per hour. Lithium ion needs to be warm in order to charge and maintain excellent longevity.

I recommend charging on a 240 volt circuit. If you think it’s slow now, wait until winter.

i understand that. I do have 240 volt at home when I charge. I only use 120 volt at work because that's all I have there. when I had my model S. i had no problem charging it using the same outlet. i was getting 4 mi/hr as soon as I plug it in. that was early march when it was actually colder temp than now. I understand during cold weather it will affect charging speed on a 120 volt, but i was doing the same thing with my old model S and it was fine. The other thing I didn't mention was when I plug the charger directly using a nema 14-50, i was only getting 3 to 5 mi/hr at first. again it takes awhile for it to charge at 30 mi/hr. with my model s it charges at 25 mi/hr right away.

So I don't know, maybe it's a bug, or maybe the way the Y charges different than a S. I understand that have different type of batteries, the Y being more advanced.

holy cow 4% in 8 hours is normal? That's 11 to 15 miles lost every 8 hours just sitting there and having virtually no sentry mode events. Not to mention the wear on the battery...

I plugged into the 120v at work and it was getting up to 4 miles per hour based on the phone app. Sentry mode was on. I did not see it drop to zero but it was a crazy day in the hospital and I didn't get to check often. Is there any way to see what the general charge rate was from one of the graphs in the car? Overall the car seems to have averaged 2.8 miles per hour when I back calculate the length of time and the miles added. This is over 10 hours of charging I gained 28 miles. This does not cover my commute and is not sustainable... I am very much hoping an update fixes this.

With my 240 volt Nema 14-50 charger at home it says 26 mi/hr 235v 32/32A. I don't think I have seen it hit 30mi/hr.

i understand that. I do have 240 volt at home when I charge. I only use 120 volt at work because that's all I have there. when I had my model S. i had no problem charging it using the same outlet. i was getting 4 mi/hr as soon as I plug it in. that was early march when it was actually colder temp than now. I understand during cold weather it will affect charging speed on a 120 volt, but i was doing the same thing with my old model S and it was fine. The other thing I didn't mention was when I plug the charger directly using a nema 14-50, i was only getting 3 to 5 mi/hr at first. again it takes awhile for it to charge at 30 mi/hr. with my model s it charges at 25 mi/hr right away.

So I don't know, maybe it's a bug, or maybe the way the Y charges different than a S. I understand that have different type of batteries, the Y being more advanced.

I'm having the exact same issue as you. If the car cools down, and I plug it in, there's a high pitch whine, and it only charges at 4-5 m/h. After about 15 minutes, the whine stops, and it jumps up to charging at 30 m/h. I'm on a NEMA 14-50. I also have a May 2018 model 3, and the model 3 does not do this. The model 3 starts charging at 30 m/h immediately without the whine, and without waiting a long time. If you've found that this is a bug, please reply and let me know. I'm documenting it today and posting a video about it, but if it's a bug, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Reactions: Klau2
I'm having the exact same issue as you. If the car cools down, and I plug it in, there's a high pitch whine, and it only charges at 4-5 m/h. After about 15 minutes, the whine stops, and it jumps up to charging at 30 m/h. I'm on a NEMA 14-50. I also have a May 2018 model 3, and the model 3 does not do this. The model 3 starts charging at 30 m/h immediately without the whine, and without waiting a long time. If you've found that this is a bug, please reply and let me know. I'm documenting it today and posting a video about it, but if it's a bug, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. Thanks.
Yeah I was charging yesterday at a 32 Amp outlet and it was charging but at 0 m/h. After 30 min, it still wasn't charging. I actually stop charging and start again. After that it started to charge at 23 m/hr.

Edit: Just saw your video on YouTube. I don't even know how I came across to it. It is exactly how mine is charging.

Last edited:

The best way to keep the batteries good is never to use them too hot or to cold - I suspect the car is maintaining the batteries' temperature within a predetermined range so that a driver cannot ever get in and put his foot down on the accelerator before the barriers reach optimal operating temperature. I think the model 3 has more efficient heating / cooling hence the difference.