Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charging situation at Yakima is rather bleak. Recargo lists only the Nissan dealer and a truck stop at Union Gap. There are RV parks, but no reports of use. And, if a person does not have dual chargers, the Ellensburg Roadster HPC is not of much value. Of course, Ellensburg Superchargers will change all of that.

Recently spent a night at the Comfort Suites on Fruitvale Blvd, Yakima, planning to return to Puyallup via highway 410, Chinook pass. Since I had completed a full range charge at the Ellensburg Roadster HPC, and the distance from the HPC to home via the motel is 165 miles, should be a piece of cake. But, I never pass up an opportunity to charge, and heavy rain and wind were predicted for the next day, so scouted around a bit.

Next to the west end back entrance door is a NEMA 5-20 T-Slot socket - 120 Volts, 20 Amps. It is just shy of 50 feet from the curb of the nearest parking slot. An extension cord does cross a sidewalk, but my cord fit nicely in the groove between two sidewalk blocks. Now added to my adapter kit is a roll of duck tape to help prevent a trip hazard.

Sort of interesting, at least to me, about elevation changes. I traveled very close to posted speed limits, except some 60 mph in 55 zones. Elevation gain from the hotel to Chinook pass is ~4,410 feet. Actual miles 63, used 96 rated. Elevation loss from the hotel to home is ~960 feet. Actual miles 131, used 132 rated.

Thanks for the post. I've been wondering about Yakima.

My in-laws live there and while I should be able to charge on a 110v outlet in their driveway, that'll be pretty slow and on short trips I don't know how much I'll be able to recharge before having to turn around and head back. I'll have an S85, but it might cut it a little close when the temperatures drop--but I guess by then there should be an Ellensburg Supercharger.

Hopefully not, but if anyone ends up at Yakima Memorial Hospital, they have two 14-50's in their RV parking spot in the SE corner of their parking lot off Tieton Dr. Just ask security to unlock them (but only if you're there for a patient).

I was wondering about Yakima and Hwy 12 too. I don't go there often but it seems like a critical junction.
Has anyone made it to Yakima from the Centralia or Woodburn Supercharger? Am I too late for peach season?

Well, according to the Tesla Supercharger map, Ellensburg is due to get one by Fall 2013. This will make Yakima a very reasonable trip from Seattle or Centralia. Of course, we know the Tesla calendar has Fall ending some time in March...

But seriously, I think the Ellensburg SC will be late. Looking at Google maps, there are really only 2 exits with services and exit 109 (Canyon Rd) is far superior. Unfortunately, there are only a few locations at 109 that would be good and none look to have excess parking spaces. I'd bet the owners are (have been?) driving a very hard bargain to site an SC. Nothing shows in the permit reports for Ellensburg (up to July) or Kittitas County (up to Aug). SC construction takes at least 12 weeks once it starts (post permit approval).

My wife is working with a hotel in Yakima trying to convince them to install a hi amp EVSE for marketing purposes. It's a little mom and pop inn, so nothing glamorous, but they do have a diner. I'll update you all if anything goes down (looking somewhat unlikely at this point though).

My wife is working with a hotel in Yakima trying to convince them to install a hi amp EVSE for marketing purposes. It's a little mom and pop inn, so nothing glamorous, but they do have a diner. I'll update you all if anything goes down (looking somewhat unlikely at this point though).

You might want to hook up with the Sun Country & Plug-In NCW folks. This thread has lots of info. It looks like they want to get a HAL2 EVSE in Yakima. Maybe they can help get Mom and Pop over the threshold.