Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yeah, I Bought A Digital License Plate.....sigh.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a side note, Ohio is finally joining Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Pennsylvania by eliminating the front plate starting in July 2020. As a MS owner who never got around to defacing his 2013 era nosecone (although I did spend a lot of time trying to de-color a plate-sized rectangle so I could mount a lighted plate behind it to no avail) I am overjoyed.

I would buy one if I could remove the 4 ugly giant carpool stickers and my front plate. I do wonder how they are dealing with the curvature on the tesla 3, most license plate frames have seen have an issue with the 3's curvature, unless you don't care about it rubbing your paint.
I am truly amazed at the how hard everyone is coming down on the poor soul who purchased the digital license plate. Although I agree that I would not buy one, I have a rather viable alternative to the metal plate no one likes:

Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

About a month ago I got tagged for not having a front license plate while traveling in the San Francisco Bay Area. A friend told me about ordering a mylar license plate from the above link. $50 later, my fixit ticket was taken care of and I have a front license plate that I am satisfied with. Worth checking out!

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I am truly amazed at the how hard everyone is coming down on the poor soul who purchased the digital license plate. Although I agree that I would not buy one, I have a rather viable alternative to the metal plate no one likes:

Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

About a month ago I got tagged for not having a front license plate while traveling in the San Francisco Bay Area. A friend told me about ordering a mylar license plate from the above link. $50 later, my fixit ticket was taken care of and I have a front license plate that I am satisfied with. Worth checking out!

Can you share a picture of your tesla with that on it? I saw that a while ago, but discounted it because I wouldnt like the front plate looking "folded" around the bumper either. I figured if I had to do that, I might as well just mount the front plate (which I have not done yet).

I LOVE tech toys but paying more for a license plate than an iPhone????:eek: Don't worry I didn't need your "not recommended" to keep me from buying. :D

Today I went to the DMV today and spent $60 on an EV tag (yearly subscription but do get to use HOV lanes) and felt like I was getting ripped off. Your post has changed my mind on that.;)

View attachment 420693

Wait until you renew your tag. Georgia has a EV tax. Mine was $213.69. They say it is because we don't pay fuel taxes so they nail us with this big fee. I never paid close to half that much in gasoline tax with my ICE car.

I don't live in Atlanta so the HOV tag is pretty much useless for me. I bought a vanity tag instead.

The digital tag is an interesting concept but I think its way too expensive!

Wait until you renew your tag. Georgia has a EV tax. Mine was $213.69. They say it is because we don't pay fuel taxes so they nail us with this big fee. I never paid close to half that much in gasoline tax with my ICE car.

I don't live in Atlanta so the HOV tag is pretty much useless for me. I bought a vanity tag instead.

Well aware and I paid it when I bought. Don't like it but it is NOT an option and hope it is changed but at least we don't have to pay the annual ad valorem tax too (like we used to have to do).

An interesting caveat. I had an ELR and in 2 years only bought about 4 or 5-9 gallon tanks of gas. Also had the OPTION of paying the $200 EV tax to get an EV tag. Now that is a little weird not paying (much) gas tax or EV road tax.

Last edited:

The Gas Tax in Georgia is 31.02 cents per gallon. So $213.69 per year works out to 688.88 gallons of gas. If you get 20mpg on your car, that works out to 13,777 miles in a year to be the same amount of money spent whether you have an ICE or Electric vehicle. Since you say that "you've never paid close to half that much in gasoline tax with your ICE car", do you drive less than 6,889 miles per year or do you get

I can't believe California hasn't instituted an EV tax. They tax you for everything else imaginable. I think the air quality board has pushed EVs so heavily on ICE owners to go electric that there would be quite a backlash. We even received a letter from the air board last week offering us $1000 for our 28 year old car. It passed smog last year just fine. We did sell it yesterday, but not to them.

I can't believe California hasn't instituted an EV tax. They tax you for everything else imaginable. I think the air quality board has pushed EVs so heavily on ICE owners to go electric that there would be quite a backlash. We even received a letter from the air board last week offering us $1000 for our 28 year old car. It passed smog last year just fine. We did sell it yesterday, but not to them.
They have. Can't remember if it starts this year or next, but it is going to be an extra $100 per year to register an EV (on top of the usual value-based registration fee) to cover the loss of gas taxes.

Given that's less than 3 tanks of gas at current prices, and I haven't paid any federal or state gas taxes in the last 5 years while using the roads that whole time, I'm fine with it.

They have. Can't remember if it starts this year or next, but it is going to be an extra $100 per year to register an EV (on top of the usual value-based registration fee) to cover the loss of gas taxes.

Given that's less than 3 tanks of gas at current prices, and I haven't paid any federal or state gas taxes in the last 5 years while using the roads that whole time, I'm fine with it.

I wouldn't quibble about $100 either if it actually goes to our roads and not alternative transportation (bullet train) or the general fund. It's 1 and 1/4 tank for our Jeep.

I wouldn't quibble about $100 either if it actually goes to our roads and not alternative transportation (bullet train) or the general fund. It's 1 and 1/4 tank for our Jeep.
This resides me about reading about how we humans don't do good job of valuing. For instance if you were buying a new widget for your Jeep and was at the mall. The widget cost $200. You are in line to buy and a friend called to tell you that a store on the other side of the mall has it on sale for the next hour for ½ price. You would immediately head that way almost running over everyone to save that $100. Then you would proudly brag about how you got you widget for ½ price and saved $100. However it is the SAME $100 amount that you "wouldn't quibble" over. Of course we all suffer this and is universal.

Last edited:
This resides me about reading about how we humans don't do good job of valuing. For instance if you were buying a new widget for your Jeep and was at the mall. The widget cost $200. You are in line to buy and a friend called to tell you that a store on the other side of the mall has it on sale for the next hour for ½ price. You would immediately head that way almost running over everyone to save that $100. Then you would proudly brag about how you got you widget for ½ price and saved $100. However it is the SAME $100 amount that you "wouldn't quibble" over. Of course we all suffer this and is universal.

People on this board who are buying new 35,000+ cars will say that $20 is "too much" to spend for a tray that goes in the console from a third party. I have heard people say that $5 is "too expensive" for a smartphone app, in which my response is, "you cant even get a burger and fries at McDonalds for $5....its less than a single fast food meal, for something that you can use multiple times. If you use it even ONCE and it works, you got your moneys worth out of it".

Now, on to another point which has nothing to do with the quoted post above.... I will separate it with some lines to denote its not in direct relation to the post I quoted.

==========================

Still, this thread is pretty sickening, actually. The amount of attacks on the OP in this thread is staggering. For me, forums like this are supposed to be about helping each other, finding out something about whatever the forum topic is. There are always people who see it differently.

This OP posted a public service announcement. The OP knew the item was expensive, but decided to buy it anyway. They didnt come here to talk about how much money they do or dont have. They came to talk about how, even if one wanted to spend money on this expensive product, it certainly is not working for them.

THAT type of post is what these boards are supposed to be for. All this post has done is encourage someone who might be going through something similar to NOT share that information, with lots of people "lining up" to ridicule the OPs product choice.. and for what? What does anyone gain by that, other than some self sort of self satisfaction? It serves no purpose, other than people either trying to be funny, or somehow make themselves feel better by attempting to shame the OP in some way.

If people wondered why this OP chose to buy the product, they could have asked in a much nicer way.. something like "wow, I am sorry you are having those troubles with that expensive product. I dont quite get the purpose of the product though, maybe you could tell us what issues you were looking to solve by buying it?" The above would have likely gotten a response, and then everyone reading would be able to make a decision on whether its something they would have done... to themselves. Whether someone would have bought the product or not is not relevant to the fact that, for the OP at least, it doesnt do what they said it would and appears to be a poor experience.

Everyone has spent money on something, and been disappointed by it. If you buy a nice meal at a restaurant, say a new steak or seafood place that is supposed to be wonderful, but your meal turns out to be horrible, if you tell someone that do you expect them to start talking about "oh wow I never would have spent that much money for a meal, are you nuts???" Thats what happened here.

This board is exceptionally good at helping generate a "mob mentality" for stuff like this. Its very disappointing,

Yes, but you can't pull a horse trailer with a Tesla. :::sigh:::
Well, if it is a small horse trailer...

maxresdefault.jpg