Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellow border - need advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this problem recently develop in my 2017 Model S; what I am being told my Tesla Service in Dublin, CA is that this will be fixed via Firmware update and is expected to roll out in June-July 2019 time frame.

No parts are being replaced at this time.

...what I am being told my Tesla Service in Dublin, CA is that this will be fixed via Firmware update and is expected to roll out in June-July 2019 time frame.

... only way this is going to be fixed via firmware is if the new UI has a yellow border around the edge...

I think the first version of this story was closer to the real truth, it was said that the supplier was producing a new version of the screen and that it would be available from around Q2/3 this year, so until it was ready they were not going to keep swapping in parts that had the same flaw.

All of this is no help to those hoping for MCU2 as it is still just a screen replacement, nothing much short of memory failure is going to get you an MCU swap...

Some of the people here really do buy into the magic. Tesla could say that they'll be releasing a firmware update that fixes worn tire tread and they'd believe it. The fact that the notion that this will be fixed by a 'firmware update' and that people are repeating it is kind of depressing.

As I said above I made an appointment yesterday. Just got this text:

Hello from Tesla Service. We received your request for a service appointment. We have procured a new supplier for the screen replacements due to the yellowing concern. They have not provided the new parts to our service centers yet. We will record your concern and our Mobile Team will reach out to you to schedule a visit at your location to replace the screen when the parts are available (expected by late Summer 2019). Thank you.

Does anyone know how big the yellowing issue is for S and X? I would assume by now all cars are affected. This looks like a recall and it will be massive. Any clues?

Would any car company do a recall on something that is totally aesthetic and does not affect the functionality of the car at all? (At least this is how it is in my case) I would expect that they would just replace on an as-needed basis.

As I said above I made an appointment yesterday. Just got this text:

Hello from Tesla Service. We received your request for a service appointment. We have procured a new supplier for the screen replacements due to the yellowing concern. They have not provided the new parts to our service centers yet. We will record your concern and our Mobile Team will reach out to you to schedule a visit at your location to replace the screen when the parts are available (expected by late Summer 2019). Thank you.

Update: just received an email from the mobile service team telling me they'll reach out when they get the part in.

The problem is that when they will tell you (if) that they have the part it will take you 2 months to schedule a service. These ... are getting crowded!! I would like Tesla to drop all they are doing now and work on extending service facilities, make parts available or open for 3rd parties to make parts and this way driving ownership cost down. The biggest nightmare anyone has is to imagine being in an accident ...
I totally disagree that the yellowing is "just" aesthetic. Are you kidding me? Mine started small.. not a big deal - it is sooo ugly today is beyond embarrassing - I simply hated, looks slimy ..you name it. I also bet it will get even uglier - it seams that the process accelerates. Have you thought trying to sell the car this way?

Reactions: croman
The problem is that when they will tell you (if) that they have the part it will take you 2 months to schedule a service. These ... are getting crowded!! I would like Tesla to drop all they are doing now and work on extending service facilities, make parts available or open for 3rd parties to make parts and this way driving ownership cost down. The biggest nightmare anyone has is to imagine being in an accident ...
I totally disagree that the yellowing is "just" aesthetic. Are you kidding me? Mine started small.. not a big deal - it is sooo ugly today is beyond embarrassing - I simply hated, looks slimy ..you name it. I also bet it will get even uglier - it seams that the process accelerates. Have you thought trying to sell the car this way?

I'm sorry if I diminished the severity of this problem for you. My point is that since it's not a safety issue, that I wouldn't expect a recall situation. They would just replace them as people complained about it.

Since these are being handled by mobile service, hopefully the wait won't be as long as you've speculated.