Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellow border - need advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does as long as it is not fit for the purpose intended.

I’m gonna have to raise the flag on that one.

Tesla warrants my car for 4 years or 50k. If the screen lasts 5 years and then develops a known cosmetic defect (like I dunno, say, a bubble as a totally random example), do they owe me a replacement?

Don’t get me wrong, if it yellows up again quickly, I’ll probably take it back in and see if Tesla is willing to goodwill the replacement on account of it already being replaced once and a known widespread issue. Maybe they’ll be inclined, as presumably the screen manufacturer is on the hook for the part. But I certainly don’t think they’re compelled to.

Update:

Back on April 25 I made a service appointment for the yellow bordered screen. On April 26 I was contacted by mobile service and told that they would contact me when the part came in.

I was contacted today (May 7) and was told that they have the part. I have an appointment on May 11 to have the work done.

Update:

Back on April 25 I made a service appointment for the yellow bordered screen. On April 26 I was contacted by mobile service and told that they would contact me when the part came in.

I was contacted today (May 7) and was told that they have the part. I have an appointment on May 11 to have the work done.

Have you received your PDF work agreement yet? If so, can you share the part number that is listed for the new screen?

Mobile service ended up coming out on Saturday, but telling me that they are no longer replacing the screens. He said that they've found that the new screens still have the same problem. He also said that I could have the screen replaced if I paid for it. So he ended up just doing a 'courtesy inspection' of my vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Mobile service ended up coming out on Saturday, but telling me that they are no longer replacing the screens. He said that they've found that the new screens still have the same problem. He also said that I could have the screen replaced if I paid for it. So he ended up just doing a 'courtesy inspection' of my vehicle.

Other forum members (different thread) have reported that their SCs are no longer replacing "yellow" screens under warranty since its considered a cosmetic issue and not functional one. But they would replace them if you were willing to pay which I find completely egregious. They should absolutely cover this under warranty.

I don't get why they even offered to have you pay for a new screen if they are developing the same issue!

Reactions: croman
Other forum members (different thread) have reported that their SCs are no longer replacing "yellow" screens under warranty since its considered a cosmetic issue and not functional one. But they would replace them if you were willing to pay which I find completely egregious. They should absolutely cover this under warranty.

I don't get why they even offered to have you pay for a new screen if they are developing the same issue!

We need this to get to Elon. My 2nd screen is yellowing

Yes I agree, that doesn't make sense. My theory is that they have determined that they cannot afford to replace all the defective screens out there, and they're trying to put us off a much as possible. Actually now that you mention it, that could be a filtering mechanism. If it bothers you enough that you're willing to pay for it, maybe at that point they'd cover the replacement cost.

I had an appointment last Friday. I received a text a few days before the appointment that the part was in. When I showed up for my appointment they said they did not have the part and would be the end of summer. I am glad I only live about 12 miles from the Service Center as I would have been really pissed if I had driven hours to get that news. If they truly are not going to replace the screen I would think a class action suit is coming in the near future.

I had an appointment a few days ago after getting a text saying the screen was in. 30 minutes prior to the appointment they called and said they’re canceling the appointment because Tesla engineers have told them not to replace anymore screens and that they’re working on a firmware to fix it. I told them that didn’t make any sense. They said there’s nothing they can do about it at the moment because of the Tesla halting screen replacements.

Reactions: R1Bill
I had an appointment a few days ago after getting a text saying the screen was in. 30 minutes prior to the appointment they called and said they’re canceling the appointment because Tesla engineers have told them not to replace anymore screens and that they’re working on a firmware to fix it. I told them that didn’t make any sense. They said there’s nothing they can do about it at the moment because of the Tesla halting screen replacements.

A firmware fix is impossible for a hardware issue that physically discolors the screen. Even f they mess with the colors with software, you still have a defective screen that should be replaced under warranty.

Reactions: whitex
Looks like I can't edit my own post and that's the wrong image.. here's the right one.
warranty_denial.JPG

Sounds like Tesla is getting serious about cutting costs. This apparently is one of the expensive items they decided to cut. I was fortunate to get under the wire. In my case it wasn't bad enough to actually bother me but anytime I get an option to replace old electronics with new, I jump on it. Hopefully their UV solution will fix the issue and it won't escalate beyond that.