Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes, to keep the interior cooler while driving through the heat of the Souther US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finding limited options to black out intense sun. I have spent 2 months ordering & returning improper sized inside shade from 2 different company's the last one I tried

Tesla, it was just as ill fitting as the others. Looked at tints, dynamic raps, they all have a limited life span & bubbling or pealing. Paint seems the most logical at this point unless

you all have other suggestions? Solutions.................................Thank-you all...................dangeaton

I am sorry for the difficulty you are having. I am also surprised that the Tesla sunscreens did not fit. My car has the "classic" (or outdated?) sliding sunroof, and the Tesla shades fit perfectly. And they do help keep the car cooler. I realize that does not help you, I guess it is a comment on tesla accessory quality -- is that slipping?

Have been using heat shield shades (2 parts) since 2018. Also use the Tesla shade to mask the unsightly suction cups of the heat shield shades.

Will be ditching the car soon and getting a taycan. Opted not to get the all glass roof with the taycan to prevent the sun from really getting to you. Its not the heat but the glare from the sun - really annoying during certain times of the day

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and QUBO
Many prior threads on this. Covercraft UVS100 heat shield, hands-down. Exact fit and blocks basically the entire windshield. It’s a hefty shade so don’t complain about it not rolling up, etc. That’s the point.

Attachments

• AF111D17-E3A3-457D-9E43-4441ABB3EA8F.jpeg
    AF111D17-E3A3-457D-9E43-4441ABB3EA8F.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 72
I don't think I'd want to drive with that thing.

For the OP, not all tint is created the same. A good tint from a good shop should not peel or bubble. Go as dark as you like for the roof. Some people even have their windshields tinted, though obviously not that dark.

Reactions: AMPd
I second the “quality“ tint suggestion.
I had mine done a couple years ago. I did all sides top and even the front windshield. It’s amazing what the new technology is capable of when it comes to repelling heat. Here in Texas it can get brutal sometimes but since the tint, it has made it way more manageable and my AC fan speed is always on a lower setting now in automatic mode.
look into the different quality tints and go to a shop and see a demonstration with a heat lamp and you’ll be surprised.

Echoing the same idea, consider tinting your front windshield. Find a reputable dealer in your area that can put a 70% (amount of visibility) or higher on the windshield with 99% heat rejection. It will make a world of difference. My old LR Model S had zero issues with the South Texas heat in the summer after tinting the windshield.

Ah, couldn’t tell if OP was also talking about while parked. Tint for sure, esp “clear” for the windshield, but even when it’s over 100degs here, my AC has never had an issue keeping the cabin cool while driving.
+1

I drove my all-glass roof out to Kettleman City last weekend when it was 114 degrees out. 4 people in the car. AC worked like a champ.

E93503E8-A2D5-4CF4-A794-AEBA6703CF08.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and cwanja
Have been using heat shield shades (2 parts) since 2018. Also use the Tesla shade to mask the unsightly suction cups of the heat shield shades.

Will be ditching the car soon and getting a taycan. Opted not to get the all glass roof with the taycan to prevent the sun from really getting to you. Its not the heat but the glare from the sun - really annoying during certain times of the day
I am thinking that a 2017 Model S has a different roof dimension than older or newer. Thanks for the response............Dave

I am finding limited options to black out intense sun. I have spent 2 months ordering & returning improper sized inside shade from 2 different company's the last one I tried

Tesla, it was just as ill fitting as the others. Looked at tints, dynamic raps, they all have a limited life span & bubbling or pealing. Paint seems the most logical at this point unless

you all have other suggestions? Solutions.................................Thank-you all...................dangeaton
I'm surprised to hear that the Tesla roof sun screen didn't fit well. Both the pano (2 screens) and lift gate sun screens fit perfectly on my 2017 "S".

I agree that not all tints are created equal. We had a "nano" tint applied to all of the glass except the roof** and it is a noticeable improvement. The place that did ours is out of Fremont and was definitely worth the drive.

** Didn't have the roof tinted because of the sun screens.

Last edited:
We got the Tesla screen for our S, and as you noted, the fit wasn't good. To 'fix' the screen I got several pieces of flashing metal (real thin metal squares they use in some roofing situations as flashing). I then cut the squares to fit into the corners (kitty corner) and in and in the middle of the sides where the screen is supposed to fit (so the screen could rest on top of the metal lip sticking out). Note---give yourself several extra inches from what you think you measured as there is a ton of room in this lip. Best to cut a piece of scrap that you can use to stick in the corners, etc. so you can see exactly how far the hole goes back. Then I covered the metal pieces with black duct tape---they blend in perfectly (except my 3 year old grand daughter thought it would be fun to pull them all out from her car seat without saying anything). Of course when she threw them on the floor they blended in with the rug and I never discovered what she was doing until the screen came crashing down when I was driving down the highway---she thought it was great. Once I shut her desert off for a day or two, she stopped doing it. PS---I found the screens made a huge difference.

Please note----the flashing metal may be what they use around drier vents, etc. that are vented outside the house versus flashing used on a roof (think the latter is a heavier, thicker lead material). The contractor that was working on our house at the time gave me about a dozen pieces---it is a real thin, shiny metal---maybe tin. He said he used it for flashing. Sorry for any confusion.