Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yikes my wife spilled nail polish then used a permanent marker to cover it up.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sooooooo.......šŸ˜£....... apparently my wife was painting her nails in the car and got 5 marks of pink nail polish on the driver seat and the side of the center console / arm rest. Then decided well I know what could fix this, black permanent marker.........

So since this is a multi layered thing any recommendations on where to start in attempting to clean this off the leather? Its black model 3 interior.

Accidents happen.... bad cover-ups shouldn't, can't say im happy.

Step 1: file for a divorce

Step 2: see attached general tips for removing nail polish from leather.
Iā€™ve not personally tried this because, well, I simply donā€™t allow wimenz to do their nails in my carsā€¦

Step 3: if the above does not work effectively, then do a google search on ā€œhow to remove nail polish from leatherā€ and youā€™ll find some good material/guidelines. In general, start with the least aggressive approach/chemicals and never use nail polish remover on any real or vegan leather surfaces.

Good luck!!

By the way, I was kidding about the divorceā€¦ sort ofā€¦. šŸ˜‰ šŸ¤£

• Funny
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Found this on Ultrafabrics' (supplier of the vegan leather Tesla uses) website:

Recommended Cleaning Instructions for Ultrafabrics
Brisa | Ultraleather | Ultratech

One of the best ways to keep Ultrafabrics looking great is through proper maintenance and regular
cleaning to prevent excessive dirt from accumulating.

To help keep your quality fabrics looking their best, follow these guidelines to extend the life of
the fabric:

ā€¢ Wipe up spills as soon as they occur
ā€¢ Clean with soap and water
ā€¢ Sanitize using disinfectants such as (1:5) bleach/water solution
ā€¢ For stubborn stains, wipe off with isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible*
ā€¢ Thoroughly rinse all solution residue with clean water
ā€¢ Air dry

This information is not a guarantee. Please use all cleaning and disinfecting agents safely and as
instructed. The use of other cleaning agents, disinfectants, conditioners or protectants is not
recommended as they can degrade fabricā€™s performance and may void Ultrafabrics warranty.

*This also applies to the removal of most ballpoint inks from UltraleatherĀ®

I would try soap and water or isopropyl alcohol

I have never had to remove nail polish, but once I did have to remove permanent marker. I once dropped off my car at the valet of a hotel where I was attending a conference. The valet driver must have had a permanent marker loosely capped in his back pocket, because I found black ink "drawn" on my white seat.

First, I tried hair spray (someone said this might work). I think it helped but definitely did not do the job. Then I used Optimum Power Clean diluted 5 parts water to 1 part Power Clean and it did the trick! So I recommend Power Clean or any other all purpose cleaner. I personally like Power Clean because it has great cleaning ability but it doesn't harm surfaces when diluted correctly.

Good luck!

I got great seats up against the glass at a local hockey game and took my nephew. Partway through the game, the lady sitting next to him pulls out a bottle of nail polish remover and starts taking off the polish from her toes. My nephew told me it was giving him a headache so I switched spots with him and tried to give the lady a look but she was totally unfazed. She then pulls out bottle after bottle of nail polish from her bag. She had like 4 bottles and she lined them up on the boards, plops her feet up on the boards and starts doing her nails. I was so blown away but did not say anything. Just sat there thinking about how self centered you need to be to lack any awareness of your surroundings. She was taking her time and doing fine details and I just sat there, completely unable to focus on the game because of what was happening next to me and how out of place it seemed. So, it came as a bit of a surprise to both her and me when finally a hit came just up the boards from her knocking all four bottles, which she had not been resreweing the caps on, off the boards onto the ground and splattering nail polish all over her purse and my shoes. My nephew and I burst out laughing but she lost it. Like grown woman temper tantrum. She stormed off which was hilarious as she was also trying not to step in the nail polish or screw up her nails. After a while the guy she was with left too. Never saw them again but I'll never forget it. Seems unreal. I never grew up around girls doing their nails and it blows me away that someone would do their toenails at a restaurant, at a hockey game, or in a car. Now sometimes if I have a hockey game on TV, my wife will do her nails as a running joke.

As for getting it off your seat, there is a balance. Anything that will remove the nail polish easily is almost certainly also hard on the seat and not something you want to concentrate on one area with. If you go with something harsh, you can test in an area you don't see often first to make sure it won't stain. Often times you want to find something that that is as gentle as possible that still works with some effort. Nail polish remover or acetone would work with just a wipe or two, but it might discolor the seat too. I don't really know what would work best, but I'd probably start with a leather cleaner and see if I could get anywhere with it first.

As for punishment, I'd not let my wife live that down anytime soon. If she was going out, I'd probably indulge myself in a quick check of her purse for contraband and stuff like that. Maybe leave an article or two out about what age developmentally a kid should be able to color inside the lines. Possibly lay down plastic wrap on her seat at least a few times. Next time she was car shopping, be sure to ask the sales person how hard it is to get nail polish out of the seats with as strait a face as possible.

The amount of divorcees and those thatā€™ve never held down a stable relationship within this thread is nutty.

Replacing all of the parts via eBay, assuming you donā€™t use acetone to remove it, would be less than 900$ in parts. Likely cheaper on Craigslist, since youā€™ll save on shipping.

Nail polish wears off of nails, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll wear off of the plastic interior in short order. Try her hair dryer, I bet youā€™d be able to use a plastic spatula after a little heat.

Itā€™s a car, divorces cost half of net worth+expected lifestyle payments. Itā€™s not that serious

The amount of divorcees and those thatā€™ve never held down a stable relationship within this thread is nutty.

Replacing all of the parts via eBay, assuming you donā€™t use acetone to remove it, would be less than 900$ in parts. Likely cheaper on Craigslist, since youā€™ll save on shipping.

Nail polish wears off of nails, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll wear off of the plastic interior in short order. Try her hair dryer, I bet youā€™d be able to use a plastic spatula after a little heat.

Itā€™s a car, divorces cost half of net worth+expected lifestyle payments. Itā€™s not that serious
Your screen name was meant to be ironic?
I got great seats up against the glass at a local hockey game and took my nephew. Partway through the game, the lady sitting next to him pulls out a bottle of nail polish remover and starts taking off the polish from her toes. My nephew told me it was giving him a headache so I switched spots with him and tried to give the lady a look but she was totally unfazed. She then pulls out bottle after bottle of nail polish from her bag. She had like 4 bottles and she lined them up on the boards, plops her feet up on the boards and starts doing her nails. I was so blown away but did not say anything. Just sat there thinking about how self centered you need to be to lack any awareness of your surroundings. She was taking her time and doing fine details and I just sat there, completely unable to focus on the game because of what was happening next to me and how out of place it seemed. So, it came as a bit of a surprise to both her and me when finally a hit came just up the boards from her knocking all four bottles, which she had not been resreweing the caps on, off the boards onto the ground and splattering nail polish all over her purse and my shoes. My nephew and I burst out laughing but she lost it. Like grown woman temper tantrum. She stormed off which was hilarious as she was also trying not to step in the nail polish or screw up her nails. After a while the guy she was with left too. Never saw them again but I'll never forget it. Seems unreal. I never grew up around girls doing their nails and it blows me away that someone would do their toenails at a restaurant, at a hockey game, or in a car. Now sometimes if I have a hockey game on TV, my wife will do her nails as a running joke.

As for getting it off your seat, there is a balance. Anything that will remove the nail polish easily is almost certainly also hard on the seat and not something you want to concentrate on one area with. If you go with something harsh, you can test in an area you don't see often first to make sure it won't stain. Often times you want to find something that that is as gentle as possible that still works with some effort. Nail polish remover or acetone would work with just a wipe or two, but it might discolor the seat too. I don't really know what would work best, but I'd probably start with a leather cleaner and see if I could get anywhere with it first.

As for punishment, I'd not let my wife live that down anytime soon. If she was going out, I'd probably indulge myself in a quick check of her purse for contraband and stuff like that. Maybe leave an article or two out about what age developmentally a kid should be able to color inside the lines. Possibly lay down plastic wrap on her seat at least a few times. Next time she was car shopping, be sure to ask the sales person how hard it is to get nail polish out of the seats with as strait a face as possible.
You should have whipped out your smartphone and video'd the woman doing her nails at the game! Surely, her feet got cold.

Acetone (same as nail polish remover) can easily remove nail polish. But it can dissolve some plastics. Polystyrene and ABS are definitely affected.

Permanent marker can be removed from nonporous or non-matte surfaces (smoother the better) using a dry erase marker. I suspect it won't work that well on the seats. I don't think it's try it in this case. You may consider trying to find a matching leather dye.

I saw a YouTube video about diluting citrol 266 and using that to remove polish from plastic coated leather seatsā€¦ā€¦ I also have a pink polish stain in a Tesla ā€¦.. scared to death to remove it. But the citrol 266 video was impressive.

Commenters also Mentioned rainx glass +interior spray. And another mentioned brake cleen.

Iā€™m just waiting for someone else to be ballsy enough to try something :( Iā€™m not brave enough lol

Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) is a really effective and generally safe solvent for more things than just about anything else. It might work well enough to get the paint off with some scrubbing. A microfiber rag or magic eraser might help considerably. Otherwise, some ā€œhuman-safeā€ nail polish remover may be your next option, but as others noted, acetone will dissolve the plastic seats, so use it sparingly.

I replaced a seat bottom cushion after a tear with one on EBay for $75. Iā€™ve also seen armrests on there for about that much. So if things donā€™t work out with whatever cleaning method you try you still have options.