Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Replacement Just Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Laddcruzer

Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2021
Santa Cruz
1665013379341.jpeg

While I am fond of the yoke on my Plaid I decided to try a modified yoke or more rounded steering wheel. This is one from Secret EV with Napa leather and stiching to match my interior. So far it’s definately more practical, safe and responsive for steering purposes. And very well made. I’m no race car driver and have only raced at Laguna Seca twice, but I would say you really need this type of wheel if you’re going to be on race tracks. That been said I certainly don’t intend to do any more racing on tracks and the yoke is perfectly find for street driving. The photo was taken from my eye level and as you can see the visual to the screen is just fine. All in all I think I will probable stay with this set up but I do have the yoke to reinstall if I want.

View attachment 860414
While I am fond of the yoke on my Plaid I decided to try a modified yoke or more rounded steering wheel. This is one from Secret EV with Napa leather and stiching to match my interior. So far it’s definately more practical, safe and responsive for steering purposes. And very well made. I’m no race car driver and have only raced at Laguna Seca twice, but I would say you really need this type of wheel if you’re going to be on race tracks. That been said I certainly don’t intend to do any more racing on tracks and the yoke is perfectly find for street driving. The photo was taken from my eye level and as you can see the visual to the screen is just fine. All in all I think I will probable stay with this set up but I do have the yoke to reinstall if I want.
is it easy to install? or will tesla install that?

Its really easy as the below video will show.

Interesting - As you posted the Tsportline Video (The one I had and returned), can I assume you got the Secret EV model with the electronics built in (for +500$)? I am happy to swap airbag + wheel, but uncomfortable playing with /swapping out the electronics section :(. Also any idea if they will do a 30 day return - its not clear on their site.

Thanks!

Chet

Interesting - As you posted the Tsportline Video (The one I had and returned), can I assume you got the Secret EV model with the electronics built in (for +500$)? I am happy to swap airbag + wheel, but uncomfortable playing with /swapping out the electronics section :(. Also any idea if they will do a 30 day return - its not clear on their site.

Thanks!

Chet
Yes, I did have the electronics built in. The price of the wheel was reasonable enough to do that. And I too didn’t want to mess with that. As far as returns you might try to talk to them. Secret EV is also Jamie at Signature Wheels. He’s very approachable.

I got my hannshow wheel in with pic above to help others looking. Took 9 weeks to come in. Ordered it without the center control panel. It came with it and a carbon stick on trim. I didn’t like the trim at all and the control panel didn’t work at all. Swapped in my original controls from the yoke. Then also had to adjust the leather on the back as it was rubbing the column trim.

Pro’s-
-Love having a round wheel
-Feel and look is quite nice
-Visibility of the bottom left corner of the center display is better and I did not lose any visibility of the drivers display.
-Lots of custom options

Cons-
-Heavy. Thing is atleast 3x the weight of the yoke. Don’t notice it driving but during install it is solid. I believe they use clay or something to create the wheel.
-Poor communication/wait. Comes from China direct.
-Not perfectly round as with other plaid wheels
- A little too thick. I think I am getting comfortable with it but I do prefer a thinner wheel
-It did not work correct out of the box. See description above.