Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yosemite this weekend, am RWD and no chains. Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
welp, thinking of going up this weekend, to try and see the "fire wall".
And yes, I have a rear-wheel drive Model S and no chains.

I've only been in the Bay Area for two years, and have not driven up the Sierra in the S (did go to Tahoe in a previous Jeep). I'd love to do that this weekend, but doubt I'll get my hands on the unicorn chains that work on this car.
Anyone have a set I could borrow/rent?
Anyone want to experience the slow rear wheel drive Model S of their dreams while I drive their D? :)

i would call them. in my experience yosemite doesnt try to keep snow off the roads like in tahoe. a rear drive car may not be happy if its snowed recently. i supposeit also depends on which entrance you use. some are higher elevation than others.

Looking at the upcoming weather, they might very well have chain restrictions on the roads going in. You might be able to find a set on Amazon that could be shipped fast enough (I think there are other threads about alternatives to the Tesla recommended ones).

I've been up there several times during the Horsetail Falls time, but never when the falls were actually flowing for the full firefall effect. It gets crazy crowded with photogs now that the phenomenon is well known, so you usually have to camp out your spot several hours before sunset.

• Informative
Reactions: djn04
@e-FTW considering that another weather front is moving into Northern California tonight you will absolutely need chains. Check the weather report. See National Weather Service

Even with chains the snow could cause road closures. In my opinion this is not a good weekend to go to Yosemite unless you have AWD and either snow tires or chains and have experience driving in icy conditions.

I try to get to Yosemite every year for the wonderful natural firefall. As a young child I was able to experience the wonderful Firefall from glacier point. It was incredible.
This year it doesn't appear that there will be much luck getting a hole in the weather. You can go anytime in the Winter/Spring and see horsetail Falls, it's only the late two weeks in February that you can get the effect of the sun reflecting on it.
Of course, that means that you have to have a clear sky at sunset to get the beautiful affect on horsetail Falls.

I'm heading down, I have an all-wheel-drive Model S with winter tires and chins, and, since I won't be photographing the firefall, I want to try to get shots of Yosemite with snow.

Here is info on the Natural Firefall Home - Michael Frye Photography

Thanks to everyone here! Looks like weather would not cooperate here. I am from Canada, so know how to be careful in advisor weather, but don't have chains or time to get them I think.
It would be so easy if winter tire made sense, but it would be insane to switch wheels only to drive three hours in summer weather to get to snow... Sigh. First-world problems!

I would think that the valley won't get much if any snow. The temperatures here in Fresno are near 60, so I would guess that the valley will be in the high 30s-low 40s. Perhaps overnight there might be a dusting if the storm lingers.

In any event, you can always access Yosemite from Merced via SR140. This is the only highway that does not have a steep elevation gain before descending into the valley. Their is a slight climb from Merced to Mariposa and another small climb out of Mariposa, but then the highway parallels the Merced River into the park.

I would think that the valley won't get much if any snow. The temperatures here in Fresno are near 60, so I would guess that the valley will be in the high 30s-low 40s. Perhaps overnight there might be a dusting if the storm lingers.

In any event, you can always access Yosemite from Merced via SR140. This is the only highway that does not have a steep elevation gain before descending into the valley. Their is a slight climb from Merced to Mariposa and another small climb out of Mariposa, but then the highway parallels the Merced River into the park.
Thanks, great info.
I have the 19" wheels with the all-seasons, so unless they close the road I plan to use, I should be fine most times with the chains on hand.
Will plan accordingly next time this idea pops into my head.

CPA's advice is solid. 140 is the best choice for entry when the weather is dicey (although probably the most prone to rock/mudslide closures of the three highways). Snow on 140 and the valley floor is very unlikely this weekend, these atmospheric river storms are very warm and last I heard snow level was going to be around 7000 feet or higher.

That said it's very wet and VERY windy up here right now. The ground is completely saturated and if we get rain like they're forecasting for the next few days the rivers are going to rise rapidly. Not a great travel weekend even without the threat of snow.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Maybe hedge your bet and buy these locally. If you need them, you're set. If you don't need them, back on Craigslist. Tesla Tire Chains - New
Good spot, I finally got around to getting those today. They were still available! And I got a rebate for driving up to Petaluma to get them. Met a nice retiree couple, their friendly dog and blue Model S (great color).
Will be useful to have just in case, for my upcoming trip down the Eastern Sierra (395 via South Lake Tahoe)! And the next thing me I want to gun it for Yosemite or Tahoe. Thanks @Wshowell !

Reactions: Wshowell
Good spot, I finally got around to getting those today. They were still available! And I got a rebate for driving up to Petaluma to get them. Met a nice retiree couple, their friendly dog and blue Model S (great color).
Will be useful to have just in case, for my upcoming trip down the Eastern Sierra (395 via South Lake Tahoe)! And the next thing me I want to gun it for Yosemite or Tahoe. Thanks @Wshowell !

You may have to wait until next winter to trot out those chains. We are quite likely over the hump for snowy driving conditions on most roads. (Yes it is possible to get an arctic storm into April or May, but they are very rare, and generally at higher elevations by then.)

US395 should be a piece of cake. Bridgeport is now in the high 50s-low 60s, with overnight lows hovering right around freezing. Next week's forecasted storm is supposed to dump liquids, not solids. Lee Vining (about 45 miles south) has been slightly warmer. I suppose Conway Summit (between Bridgeport and Lee Vining, elevation 8000+) could possibly get some snow or mixed precipitation, but I would hazard a guess that the tarmac is warming nicely, so a lot of trapped heat will keep any potential light snowfall from sticking.

The final snow surveys in the mountains are taken April 1. That is the official end of the snowy season in California.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW