Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You 85kWh -> 90 kWh, me 40kWh -> your old 85 kWh pack + money to you...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked them last summer after I read a number of people saying they got good trade-in values. Mine even had right around 10k km and it has TP, maybe the low trade-in was because it's green w/ grey interior or maybe the sales guy was just being mean that day. :p

I was in exactly the same dilemma last year with my 40kwh. Back then the trade in value was much better and I traded up to a CPO P85. Though my old 40kwh didn't have the TP and that further incentivized me to trade up.
I talked to SC folks and they said they wouldn't swap the battery to an 85kwh.

It's no rumour, that's exactly what they do. It probably takes them about 30 seconds to do it, if that.

Rumour has it that any 40Kw cars Tesla takes in are automatically software unlocked and sold as 60s. There aren't many 40s around but I've seen a couple in Toronto listed at Teslas and Kijiji in the last year. Not sure what they went for though.

It's literally a check box for them to make it a 60. Like, that's it. They uncheck the box that keeps it a 40, and hit save. The car reboots, and it's a 60. Done.

$10k is pretty hefty for that work, but I guess they took a small loss on the extra 20kWh in the first place and the few people that upgrade help cover the cost of those who don't.

As for the CPOs, I guess they make out pretty well by paying the 40 price for the trade, unlocking, and then reselling as a 60 for a 60 price.

It's literally a check box for them to make it a 60. Like, that's it. They uncheck the box that keeps it a 40, and hit save. The car reboots, and it's a 60. Done.

$10k is pretty hefty for that work, but I guess they took a small loss on the extra 20kWh in the first place and the few people that upgrade help cover the cost of those who don't.

As for the CPOs, I guess they make out pretty well by paying the 40 price for the trade, unlocking, and then reselling as a 60 for a 60 price.

I think on the CPO checklist, it actually has a checkbox of "enabled 40 to 60 kwh and supercharger enabled".
I saw my car 2 weeks later after i traded in, the dashboard had a "factory mode" enabled and it was connected to SC.