Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can override acceleration during autopilot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC is not designed to be "efficient" nor does TACC "maintain a set speed" technically.

The Traffic Aware part is not designed for efficiency, it is designed to adapt to the car in front at a set distance. If the car in front is slowing below your set speed, and then speeding back up, TACC will do the same.

The Cruise Control part also is not designed to be "efficient" per se if you want to allow for some slop in your speed to make little efficiency gains throughout your drive.. Maintaining a set speed is wasteful precisely because it maintains the set speed so precisely. When you go down a hill where gravity will cause your car to go faster cruise control wastes the energy conversion loss. If you allow your car to go faster than your set speed and then let it lose it "naturally" on the uphill you are being more efficient.

I did not say TACC drives efficiently, I said TACC drive efficiently considering its parameters. Set the max speed to 25 mph and you would get the best efficiency possible, but you would also annoy the other drivers. It is not worth to hypermile if you annoy other drivers or worse, endanger them (and yourself).

Another AP trick I learned from this forum recently: If you have "confirm lane changes with turn signal" selected, and you want the AP to go ahead and do the auto lane change it wants to do, you can just move the turn signal stalk all the way... as if you were going to make a 90 degree turn. When the AP completes the lane change, it will cancel the turn signal for you.

Another AP trick I learned from this forum recently: If you have "confirm lane changes with turn signal" selected, and you want the AP to go ahead and do the auto lane change it wants to do, you can just move the turn signal stalk all the way... as if you were going to make a 90 degree turn. When the AP completes the lane change, it will cancel the turn signal for you.
This works nicely on the Model 3, but on the Model S/X, fully pressing the turn stalk causes it to engage mechanically. After the lane change, it will continue to blink and you have to manually cancel it.

This is actually a useful feature when on autopilot: Let's say you want to make a left hand or right hand turn and you are in the left or right hand lane and you fully engage the turn signal to indicate that you are going to be making a turn. On the Model 3 you will get a message that says "Auto-Lane Change not Available" and it will cancel your turn signal. On the Model S/X you still get the message, but the blinker will keep on blinking. This behaviors is actually quite annoying on the Model 3, especially since it knows from your AutoPilot navigation that an actual turn is coming up. So on the Model 3, you have to disengage Auto Pilot and issue the full press on the turn stalk again (or push the turn stalk and before it decides to cancel Auto Pilot, move the steering wheel to disengage Auto Pilot so the blinker can continue to blink).

This behavior on the Model S/X is also useful when wanting to make an Auto Pilot lane change, but the conditions are not favorable, such as poor lane markings. In the Model 3, the lane change is eventually canceled. On the Model S/X the lane change will eventually be attempted since the turn stalk in locked down.

That has not been my experience in the hills and valleys of lake tahoe.

Regen is not 100% efficient. If I allow the extra kinetic energy I gain from gravity going down hill and then coast uphill to burn off that excess gained energy, then I am net positive over capturing the regen and then putting that power back to the motor.

I do not do any of this when around traffic. I drive to work at 5am and there is barely any traffic on my commute.