Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You gave up your Model 3 for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I put my deposit down on 3/31/16. I've been anxiously awaiting for this car and love it. But the price just keeps going up and up. I really want white seats, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen until Q3 or Q4. (non performance). So it looks like I'm going to easily spend $50k+ for this car. I can afford it, but it's hard to justify the price for myself. With all the bells and whistles for a non-P car, I could just buy a cheaper car and use the extra money to invest in some rental property.

For those that gave up their Model 3, what other car did you end up getting and why? It needs to be able to go 200+ miles, battery alone or a mix-use. And this is for Non-CARB states.

The options under $40k today are:
_ Chevy Volt
- Chevy Bolt
- Toyota Prius Prime
- Hyundai Ioniq PHEV
- Honda Clarity PHEV
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

I did end up getting a Model 3 but the only contender for me was the Bolt and I was just about to buy one when my Model 3 configuration email came through. I had literally been at a Chevy dealer two days earlier and would have bought the Bolt if they had one in stock. The Bolt is the only non-Tesla BEV with 200+ mile range and I was committed to going full EV. I test drove one a month earlier with the car feeling relatively peppy and the one-pedal driving was cool.

If I was willing to go with a car that still contained an ICE then I would probably go with the Volt. It's a mature platform with great battery-only range that would cover my daily commute and most other driving I do.

I'm so glad I got the Model 3 though. With Autopilot it was about a $15,000 premium over the Bolt Premier but has substantially more range, much better performance, and is way more road trip-able. I recall planning a number of trips with the Bolt and it was a real effort figuring out a charging strategy. Most trips included a lot of charge time and there were some places I just couldn't practically get to. The convenience of the Supercharger network cannot be understated. I've already been on multiple long trips with the Model 3.

If status isn't something that concerns you much, the best bang-4-D-buck in a green car today is a used Volt. Many under $10,000 are around. Unlike PHEV-type hybrids, when you floor it the gas engine does not come on, and it's fairly quick on pure juice. And for most commuters, they have enough range do nearly all your miles on electricity. They do not require infrastructure support either.

Then drive the Volt and wait. We are seeing the very beginning of the Electric Age. In 2021 the market is going to wildly different than today.

i didn't give up the M3 (yet) but i have been driving a bolt for a little over a year now. needed a new EV and could not wait for the M3 to become real.

the range is awesome, and i would not trade that for anything... but the car is very small and the driver's seat hurts my butt. it's too narrow.

still dithering on whether to order an M3 at this point; leaning toward no. i agree that prius prime is probably the right companion car (currently i have a 2012 PIP) but they hit that thing hard with the ugly stick and so i think i have to wait for whatever toyota comes up with next.

I haven't given up on it yet, but I'm definitely giving it pause.

About two months ago I totaled my Prius and I wasn't able to configure yet. With no date in sight, I had to buy something quick so I went out the same day and got a cheap used Toyota RAV4 to tide me over. Literally, two weeks later I get the invite to configure. I didn't want the RWD version so it's fine for now. However, if the timing would have been reversed I would have probably jumped on that RWD model and shared the wife's car for a few weeks while I waited.

Now they've released the performance specs and I'm underwhelmed as I was hoping for < 3.0 seconds 0-60 mph and I was expecting a slightly lower price point or perhaps $78k including EAP and FSD, not excluding it. I can't configure AWD or the Performance version right now anyway, but I really wanted ludicrous like power in a Model 3 form factor.

Coincidentally, a co-worker of mine got their Model 3 invite the day after my accident, received their Model 3 a few weeks ago and it's already in the shop for repairs on a malfunction with the screen. (It'd turn off while driving.)

I feel good about waiting at this point. I have a working vehicle, I'm saving my money, and hopefully I'll get a better Model 3 at the end of the day. Although since there is no Ludicrous Performance Model 3 and no date for one, I may be waiting a while.

After I got my deposit back, I gave up on the Model 3 for a 2018 BMW 330i GT. $0 down/$492/month for 36 months.The overall size and interior room were critical, and I traded-off waiting one more cycle for my first BEV, as there was nothing comparable available now. However, with the Polestar Model 2 and BMW X3 electric model coming before my lease is up, the next vehicle will likely be my first BEV. From all I've learned about the Model 3 so far, I would need to wait and see the replacement model before considering it again.

I still have a deposit down for an M3. We did decide to buy a 2018 Volt and pick it up on Tuesday. Between the tax credit and the sales tax exemption, we are getting an excellent deal. My payment is less than what I pay for gas and the electric range is within my daily commuting distance.

I’m waiting to see if some of the M3 issues get worked out before I configure. My almost 15 year old will get the Volt when I upgrade in a year. I’ve also been looking into the IPace and the Macan, and maybe the Volvo XC40. There should be more options in the next year so I may decide to forego the M3.

If status isn't something that concerns you much, the best bang-4-D-buck in a green car today is a used Volt. Many under $10,000 are around. Unlike PHEV-type hybrids, when you floor it the gas engine does not come on, and it's fairly quick on pure juice. And for most commuters, they have enough range do nearly all your miles on electricity. They do not require infrastructure support either.

Then drive the Volt and wait. We are seeing the very beginning of the Electric Age. In 2021 the market is going to wildly different than today.
Hey, that's exactly what I decided to do a year ago. Bought a 2012 Volt for CDN$17K in April 2017. In that time we've put 24K km on it. I bought it because I turned in my VW TDI - I actually got to pocket about $5K on that exchange of vehicles! The Volt has been great and I highly recommend it. We're keeping it when the Model 3 arrives in June. It will be our 2nd car for driving around town. At that point I don't expect it to burn much fuel anymore - whoever is leaving town gets to take the Model 3. Also it will be the vehicle that our kids drive - the first gets his licence in a couple weeks (presuming he passes on his first attempt).

Can I ask where you can get rental property for less than $50k?

Or rather whatever’s left of the $50k after buying a “cheaper” car.

It's more of the monthly payment. It'll be $800 to $900 a month, plus the additional insurance, so it'll come out to a little more than $1,000 a month.

In the Atlanta area, one can easily find property where it's a 3 or 4 bedroom and for it to be priced around $150k - $200k. Spread out over 30 years, that comes out roughly the same as a AWD Model 3 monthly payment.

It's more of the monthly payment. It'll be $800 to $900 a month, plus the additional insurance, so it'll come out to a little more than $1,000 a month.

In the Atlanta area, one can easily find property where it's a 3 or 4 bedroom and for it to be priced around $150k - $200k. Spread out over 30 years, that comes out roughly the same as a AWD Model 3 monthly payment.
Well, taking a 30 years long debt and calling it an investment is beyond me. Appriciation of US properies in last 30 years is basicaly covering the inflation. If you are paying the mortage upon that you will be in red numbers.
If you think about it it must be this way because if the prices were rising faster then the inflation, sooner or later noone could afford to buy a house.
Only buy a property if you have the money - Buy it without a debt as a store of value.

None of your options remotely compare to a Tesla for total package vs total package.

All the cars have batteries but the similarity ends there.

My expiring Volt lease coverts to a Model 3.

For those who know Vegas, it’s like ditching the Bachannal buffet and then figuring which crappy Flamingo, Rio or Circus Circus buffet is the best choice.

• Funny
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Well, taking a 30 years long debt and calling it an investment is beyond me. Appriciation of US properies in last 30 years is basicaly covering the inflation. If you are paying the mortage upon that you will be in red numbers.
If you think about it it must be this way because if the prices were rising faster then the inflation, sooner or later noone could afford to buy a house.
Only buy a property if you have the money - Buy it without a debt as a store of value.[/QUOTE

In 1987 I bought my first 2 rental properties, they cost $123,000 and $127,000, using an inflation adjusted calculator todays cost would be about $275,000 for break even, they are worth over $500,000 each today, some areas do outpace inflation.

Only buy a property if you have the money - Buy it without a debt as a store of value.
With a rental property, you can usually sell it to the next sucker, and hopefully while you had it you pocketed more from renters than you paid out in property taxes, maintenance, etc.

Most people who aren't making their living from rental properties in the first place probably don't keep them until they're paid off.

I need to move to Atlanta. Or I mean buy something in Atlanta and rent it out! How much can you rent out that 3/4 bedroom for?

Welcome to California!

So I put my deposit down on 3/31/16. I've been anxiously awaiting for this car and love it. But the price just keeps going up and up. I really want white seats, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen until Q3 or Q4. (non performance). So it looks like I'm going to easily spend $50k+ for this car. I can afford it, but it's hard to justify the price for myself. With all the bells and whistles for a non-P car, I could just buy a cheaper car and use the extra money to invest in some rental property.

For those that gave up their Model 3, what other car did you end up getting and why? It needs to be able to go 200+ miles, battery alone or a mix-use. And this is for Non-CARB states.

The options under $40k today are:
_ Chevy Volt
- Chevy Bolt
- Toyota Prius Prime
- Hyundai Ioniq PHEV
- Honda Clarity PHEV
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

I'd add the 2018 Leaf as a great candidate, at 160+ miles, it is under your arbitrary limit, but it is a great car. Start at under $30k and comes with ProPlus for not a whole lot more. ProPlus does what the Tesla does today, adaptive speed control and keeping between the lines.
I'm quite happy with the Leaf at 160+ miles. I generally goes days without recharging it.

I'm not sure why you think that the price is going to go up. I'd expect the white seats to eventually become available and the low end model still costing $35k. Sure, the fed rebate may be an issue, but that's also an issue for PHEVs.