Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if they do not reserve all 2000 signature models? Let's assume production time rolls around and there are only 300 signature Model S reservations. Will TM upgrade the first 1700 5k reservation holders or offer some type of incentive?

I goofed! Should be 1000 Signature Model S models followed by Roadster preferential models (sequence number prefaced by the letter R).

Last edited:
I'd imagine only Tesla can answer that.

I have considered upgrading, but once again, without any kind of idea as to what the Sig edition offers nor pricing, the possibility of getting a problematic first-run car, and the likelihood that by the time my actual production number comes up, there may be a sport version to upgrade to -- I've decided to hold off.

I have Tesla Model S sequence # R 13.
Frankly, after having watched what happened with the early Tesla Roadster cars, I would rather wait and get a later model.

The early Roadsters (first 50 or so) had poorly fitted panels. I know an owner who had a VIN in the mid 20s. He said the finishing touches were really poorly done on those early production cars. That makes some sense. The assembly team was just learning at that time.

He saw the 2010 model and how much it has been improved in terms of quality and the assembly. Then he sold his early Signature Tesla Roadster and purchased a 2010 Tesla Roadster.

Towards the last 50 of the Roadster Signature 100, Tesla Motors greatly improved their quality and seemed to figure out how to put it all together.

With that experience, I would rather wait until after the Signature Series on the Model S. Let Tesla make their mistakes on the first model year cars.
The second year (regular production) will be a much better finished car.
You can still get all of the options you want later. The only unique option on the Roadster Signature series was a special color if you want it. There will likely even be newer options available in year #2. That is what happened with the Roadster.

So with a lesser deposit of $5,000 versus $40,000 I expect that I will ultimately get a better quality vehicle.

I see no reason to upgrade to the Signature series.

I know Ted is going to be cursing me when he reads this. :biggrin:
But that is my point of view.

Last edited:
I fully agree James. I'd really like to get my car sooner, but fit and finish aside, if they tweak the motors in a later version or "sport" version, that's not something that I can likely just add on.

At least in a gas-powered car you can always go for turbos, superchargers etc, here, unless it's a software change, you're screwed.

On that note, how is Tesla with selling parts? For example, when the 2010 R8s started rolling out with AMI and 3D nav, I was able to source the upgraded Nav unit. I'd imagine it would be a bit harder (and more costly if even possible) to do with Tesla being that they're such a small company focusing on just getting cars on the road no?

I e-mailed Tesla a few weeks ago asking about the Sport Model S and they said it likely wouldn't come out until 2014/2015 timeframe for what it's worth.
I'm one of the people who went for the Signature Series. I would hope that with their experience with the Roadster, that they won't have a slow start in terms of quality control this time but I guess you never know.
If Telsa is correct about this, they said that the Signature series will have a set of options that can't be replicated in the regular production run. Of course what those options were, they couldn't tell me so it could end up being that it's exactly the same as the production run, just with custom interior and paint or something.

Dave

Good info Dave, thanks. Well, I guess 3 years or so is enough waiting time to just jump on the base S (vs Sport), but still, without knowing pricing and options for a Sig Series, it's not worth the upgrade.

No problem. I guess I'm impatient so therefore the Signature series. I figured that I'd just get my name in the Signature series line then if the final price or option package is something I don't like, I can always move to the end of the regular production run. That was my thinking at least. I really can't wait until this comes out. Two years of waiting is going to be tough.

Dave

James, thanks for your perspective. I have sequence # 1341. May just be better off waiting.

Even with Roadster experience there will always be glitches. We hope they are minimal. Considering Model S will be built in a new facility and is based on a grass roots design Sig Series owners are going to be trailblazers.

The original plan called for 10,000 Model S/year. Is this after Sig Series?

The original plan called for 10,000 Model S/year. Is this after Sig Series?

I think so. I believe their goal is the signature series Model S in late 2011. Maybe 2,000 cars if they can sell that many with whatever Signature option and pricing they design.

Then regular production is scheduled for 2012 at 10,000+ per year.

Knowing Tesla, I would add another year onto whatever you are reading right now.

I am # 13 in regular production, so I should be early 2012 based on the current published schedule. But realistically I am not expecting my car until 2013. That is just how these projects go. There will be delays and issues that need to be resolved.

I think so. I believe their goal is the signature series Model S in late 2011. Maybe 2,000 cars if they can sell that many with whatever Signature option and pricing they design.

Then regular production is scheduled for 2012 at 10,000+ per year.

Knowing Tesla, I would add another year onto whatever you are reading right now.

I am # 13 in regular production, so I should be early 2012 based on the current published schedule. But realistically I am not expecting my car until 2013. That is just how these projects go. There will be delays and issues that need to be resolved.

I'm sure you're right but am still holding out hope for late 2011. I would rather they ramp things up slow and get it right though.

I'd like to think that maybe the dates they're throwing out there are already conservative and we might see it earlier, but I'm sure you guys are right and we'll be looking at 2013 or later.

Though, with Elon full time on this, I guess we won't have the setbacks that the Roadster had which were related to him asking for things that were decided without him to be redone (long sentence I know)

I know it's a couple years out, but jeesh, only 1500 in the USA? Why bother ramping up to 10k/year

Tesla Motors is not promoting the Model S at all right now.
I was told that their sales are completely focused on the Tesla Roadster since that is their current cash flow. I doubt the sales people receive any credit for a Model S reservation.

There is a limited number of people that will pay a $5,000 deposit then wait years for delivery. It is better to wait until they are six months from production before they start pushing sales.

I completely agree with James on this and I even believe there is a negative feedback mechanism. If any of the customers eager enough for the Model S to put down a deposit now gets a number that puts them at the second year of production that might put them off. Better to get the early adopters to think they are a select group and start really ramping up sales when they got the exact details of the car.
You want them in a slow non-pestering way to work on their friends, so that when you actually can get the car there are a lot of good leads.

And also keep in mind not waiting for your car purchase is a US custom. Here in Norway mostly any car you have to wait up to 6 months from purchase until the car is ready. That's even for Norway's to bestselling brands VW and Toyota.

Cobos

Tesla Motors is not promoting the Model S at all right now.
I was told that their sales are completely focused on the Tesla Roadster since that is their current cash flow. I doubt the sales people receive any credit for a Model S reservation.

There is a limited number of people that will pay a $5,000 deposit then wait years for delivery. It is better to wait until they are six months from production before they start pushing sales.

very, very good point :biggrin:

It's more than that. If they have a lot of depositors on the books, they have to actively manage the relationship with all those depositors - answering questions every time there is a news story on the factory, the car's spec and the launch date. You know the kind of thing :biggrin:

This is a lot of work for the small regional sales teams. Better to sell the tangible cars.