Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reservation Payment vs Reservation Deposit

Matt at TMC verified what the "reservation payment" is:

Hello Mark,

That is correct. The reservation payment, or deposit as I have mentioned, is applied to the final purchase price of the Model S sedan.

Should you have any other questions about the Model S or our reservation process, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Matt

Matthew Zatto | Model S - Sales and Marketing
direct 650.701.2819
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 1:58 PM
To: Matt Zatto
Subject: FW: Tesla Motors - Model S sedan

Matt,

This is to confirm the content of our discussion today in which you indicated that the $5000 Reservation Payment is applicable to the estimated Purchase Price of approximately $50,000 (=/-$57K- tax credit).

Thanks,

Mark

Nope sadly I do not have a Roadster. It's unfortunately too small for me... At 6'4" and all legs the only way for me to get into the roadster is to stand on the seat and then slide down into driving position. My legs hit the dash even with the seat all the way back... and clearance of the steering wheel above my thighs is very tight...

We're not even going to talk about what it looks like when I try to get into (or out of) one with the roof on... It's all rather undignified.

I will probably still take my local store (Santa Monica) up on their offer of lending me one for an extended test drive for a couple of hours...

While every person is different (length of legs vs torso etc) I do fit just fine in my Roadster at 6'4"... getting in and out is still humbling - but once inside I fit fine. Even if does not work for shpider, people of taller stature should not be dissuaded from trying it out - it does work for some of us. I think Zak is 6'5" and he makes it work - but then again he is paid to, I suppose. I drive 100 miles a day, and would have gone back to my Mercedes if the Roadster was too small/uncomfortable for me.

While every person is different (length of legs vs torso etc) I do fit just fine in my Roadster at 6'4"... getting in and out is still humbling - but once inside I fit fine. Even if does not work for shpider, people of taller stature should not be dissuaded from trying it out - it does work for some of us. I think Zak is 6'5" and he makes it work - but then again he is paid to, I suppose. I drive 100 miles a day, and would have gone back to my Mercedes if the Roadster was too small/uncomfortable for me.

I drove a Tesla Roadster for the first time this weekend. I'm 6'3" and thought it was a tight fit. At 6'4", don't you find top of windshield blocking part of your view? That's impressive that you drive 100 miles a day in the Roadster. I had been thinking about getting a Roadster at some point (have a Model S reservation) but after sitting in it, am not sure. It is a blast to drive though.

About Model S: The sales guy (when I test drove Roadster) said that the 300 mile battery pack may not be available first model year which is something I hadn't heard. I hope this isn't the case or that it's made available to Signature Series ownders or something at least.

Last edited:
No... or at least not more than any of my other cars :smile: I did yank off the ridiculous vestigial sun visors, though. Even "up" they caused a fair amount of visual impediment.

I see. I had such a short test drive it was tough to get a good sense of how comfortable it was. I didn't have major problems getting in or out of the car though which was nice.
Anyway, I imagine the Model S is just like a regular sedan so that shouldn't be a problem.

About Model S: The sales guy (when I test drove Roadster) said that the 300 mile battery pack may not be available first model year which is something I hadn't heard. I hope this isn't the case or that it's made available to Signature Series ownders or something at least.

It's possible they don't foresee the technology being ready in time. Which would indeed be a bummer.

I really don't even want a 300 mile battery. That is a lot of extra weight that I don't feel the need to drag around full time. It will also likely hurt performance because of the extra weight.

I see the 160 mile version as the most useful option.
In real world "enthusiastic" driving, that is likely a very reliable 100-120 miles of range.

As long as I can swap and rent from Tesla the 300 mile range battery for a long range trip, there is no need to have more than 160 miles of range.

The experience so far with the Tesla Roadster has eliminated my range anxiety. It is a complete non issue.
Tom Saxton just documented a trip he took. He was able to do even better than the ideal range with his Roadster with two people and a full trunk.

Last edited:
I think the 300 mile battery not being available in year one is relatively old news, is it not?

I must have missed that then. In all the dealings I've had with Tesla where I indicated I wanted the 300 mile pack, no one ever said anything until I test drove the Roadster this weekend. I would hope you could upgrade the battery down the road.
If they think it might not be available year one, they should update their website which still says

Frequently Asked Questions
2) What is the range on one charge?
a. The range per charge will depend on which battery you have installed. The base model will have an estimated range of 160 miles per charge. There will also be batteries available that can travel approximately 230 miles and 300 miles per charge

Last edited:

Thanks. Good find. Guess it was wishful thinking on my part. The only long distance trip I would take in the Model S is 75 miles away (150 round trip) so 80% (normal charging mode) of the 230 mile pack gives me 184 miles (34 to spare) which is cutting it close. That's why I was hoping for the 300 mile pack. As long as it will be available later as an upgrade, I guess I'm fine with that.

Dave

I might add I did my reservation late july/early august, depending a bit on their definition. I've got P121 or P123. I just got the email as well, and there it said P121 but when I clicked on view in browser it suddenly said P123 so I've got to check what is correct with Tesla :)

Cobos