Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deposit Anxiety

Quick q: anyone worried about losing all that dough if Tesla goes down the tube?? Us wait list "depositors" will be last in the pecking order in the event of a Chapter 11 or 7...

GG...while that decision is certainly yours to make, I have to agree with the comments already posted about this. I'm no expert...but to me, having several thousand people put forth a $5000 deposit 2 years before a car has even been released...just to be able to stand in line...sure seems to me like this company's going somewhere.

What I *can* tell you is this: I wouldn't consider myself to be in a position to be throwing money around for a bunch of expensive toys, and I had zero apprehension about putting down the deposit. I'm thrilled that I did, and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the next two years...maybe continue drooling.

Deposit Anxiety

Mr. Bunch,

Not that it matters too much, but do you have documentation to substantiate that clain that we are last in line to receive or money if Tesla goes bankrupt?

David Woodward (Tesla S - Sequence #- P 95)

From what I read below, depositors have the least amount of risk in the company, since we are not really loaning the company money at all, therefore we should be at the top of the list for reimbursement.

Here is what this webpage has to say about it:
The Basics Of Business Bankruptcy Law

"Creditor Hierarchy For A Business Bankruptcy

In the event that a business must be liquidated to pay its debts, Federal law dictates the hierarchy of the company’s creditors. Those creditors who have the least amount of risk in the company receive payment before others. For example, a bank may have offered a loan to a business based upon the value assessed on real estate owned by the company. That loan is secured. After liquidation, the bank would receive payment before creditors who have an unsecured interest in the business (i.e. vendors and stockholders)."

Newbie here: Just got P1672

So excited to join this great community of Tesla fans. I've been a sideline fan for a long time, but finally decided to take the plunge and reserve a Model S yesterday, as a sort of show of support for the company after the horrible tragedy. Matt Z at Tesla has been nothing but gracious and helpful in this time of sorrow. I am truly impressed at how tight-knit the company, and this community of fans, seem to be.

I am a big tech geek, with a hankering for eco world-saving on the side, so Tesla and everything they represent strikes quite a chord with me.

Q2 2012 can't come fast enough for me!

Mr. Bunch,

Not that it matters too much, but do you have documentation to substantiate that clain that we are last in line to receive or money if Tesla goes bankrupt?

David, I don't believe I made a claim like that. And I'm an engineer...not a lawyer...but I *can* tell you that I signed a Reservation Agreement that states "You acknowledge that your reservation fee may be lost, in part or in whole, if Tesla ceases to be viable as a company. If Tesla remains viable, but the Model S program is cancelled, you will receive a full refund."

So excited to join this great community of Tesla fans. I've been a sideline fan for a long time, but finally decided to take the plunge and reserve a Model S yesterday, as a sort of show of support for the company after the horrible tragedy. Matt Z at Tesla has been nothing but gracious and helpful in this time of sorrow. I am truly impressed at how tight-knit the company, and this community of fans, seem to be.

I am a big tech geek, with a hankering for eco world-saving on the side, so Tesla and everything they represent strikes quite a chord with me.

Q2 2012 can't come fast enough for me!

I spoke with Jeremy S. yesterday in the AM Ca. time. He sent me the order papers via e-mail within minutes of hanging the phone up and was going to have the NY City store contact me. I also plan on going to Philadelphia on March 6 to see the Roadster although I absolutely love the Model S 160 miles is fine for me. I am in Northeast NJ.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Placed my deposit Feb. 25 and got confirmation I'm #P1693 with delivery in Q2.

Also, wanted to say how helpful the forum and its members have been in providing information about Tesla Motors and the Model S. It's nice to have so much information in one location and not have to hunt for it.

Tommy

U.S. Model S (P) Reservations

All,

I tried to gather confirmed receipt of reservation numbers from this site and Tesla's Owners site and plotted against time. Looks like the orders have been pretty linear over 8 months. Almost exactly 100 orders per month:

usmodelspreservations.png

I tried to plot European numbers, but didn't have enough data points...but would be happy to add if more people post their data.

Figured there isn't much reason to plot Sig numbers, since they're capped anyway.

Based on Tesla's expected production numbers, I expect there will be a 1-2 year wait for those putting in orders once production begins at the end of 2011. (Assuming it's on time). Better get your reservation in If you haven't yet! ;)

How do you figure that? I thought they said 100,000 cars by 2012... there won't be 100,000 reservations by then...

Did I misread something?

Jim,

Everything I've read shows Model S production expected to *ramp up* to 20K vehicles per year, either in 2012 or 2013:

From the DOE Press Release announcing the approval of the Tesla loan:

"Production of the Model S will begin in 2011 and ramp up to 20,000 vehicles per year by the end of 2013. "

Or from the IPO Filing:
"We currently intend to begin volume production of the Model S in 2012 with a target annual production of up to approximately 20,000 cars per year."

Or from here:
"We have just listened to the panjandrum Elon Musk and the car's designer speak about the new Tesla S sedan, and these are the things to know about the first mass-produced highway-capable electric car: production will ramp up to 20,000 units annually by the end of the first year of production;"

Since it's a ramp-up...I'm estimating 10-12K units for 2012, at best (assuming no delays...which we of course know is a bit on the optimistic side...)

I'd also expect orders to accelerate as specs harden and the release date approaches.

Todd

I guess I did misread something. Perhaps I got confused with Saab's estimated return to profitability goals by mistake.

I've been watching them very closely.... (I own 2).

Well hopefully I'll have a Model S reserved in about 6 months.

Cheers
Jim

You'll be the only HUMAN who doesn't own a cell phone!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I Just got a confirmation number of P1722 (March 9) still expected for 2nd Q

Congrats! And that's good news on the time estimate. If Tesla knew they were a year behind schedule they wouldn't be telling new reservation holders that everything was on track.