Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(BTW, I've got a few tidbits of info from speaking with Tesla, but I wasn't sure if it was ok to post in the forum.)
If they told you without saying keep it to yourself then you should be OK. They usually tell me something and say "Don't tell anyone" and the it comes out a week or so later. They are quite aware of the power of instant information dissemination.

Welcome!

Anyway, I'm number 1937 in the P line. (5/24/2010)

Welcome, Ken! :smile: It's nice to see a reservation number from this week. It's nice to see the Model S reservations almost hitting 2000! I wonder how much longer it will be until the reservations hit 2500. :biggrin:

(BTW, I've got a few tidbits of info from speaking with Tesla, but I wasn't sure if it was ok to post in the forum.)

As Eric said you'll probably be OK to post it as long as they didn't specifically ask you not to talk about it.

To be safe you could always email Tesla (or the rep you talked to) and say something like: "I was told this-and-that from a representative when I reserved my Model S and was wondering if it's OK to post said info on TeslaMotorsClub".

Just a couple of items. I asked if there were any official commitment to honoring the prototype. I was told nothing official but from the progress he had seen it may be a bit more aggressive.

Also compared it to an E Series Mercedes and indicated price range would be something like $80k fully optioned. (I've since looked it up and the E550 is 5.2 sec. 0-60 hint hint )

I asked a lot of other questions too, but I can' t remember. :)

Ken

PopSmith, there may already be > 2000 reservations when factoring in Sig series and international orders.

You're right Iz. Considering the Signature series is limited to 1000 units both in the U.S. and internationally that means their could be close the 3000 :)eek:) orders for the Model S if all the Signature series are filled.

You're right Iz. Considering the Signature series is limited to 1000 units both in the U.S. and internationally that means their could be close the 3000 :)eek:) orders for the Model S if all the Signature series are filled.

pretty confident that there are nowhere near 1000 Signature series reservations. But I'm sure that total reservations are well over 2000. I have R77 and I know that those go somewhere near 200 or so R-series reservations., that alone in addition to the P-reservations get you over 2000. I know there are the European reservations that are in a separate series as well...not sure how many there. And then however many Signatures. So, it may be near 3000 total with the European + R + Signature + all the standard US reservations.

I'm pretty sure the US is allotted 1000 Signature spots and Europe an additional 1000 but don't know how many reservations there are. I'm Signature 126 in the US and that was booked last April (14 months ago) so total orders are definitely over 2000.

pretty confident that there are nowhere near 1000 Signature series reservations. But I'm sure that total reservations are well over 2000....So, it may be near 3000 total with the European + R + Signature + all the standard US reservations.

Yeah, I should have worded my reply differently. I meant to say in a best-case scenario where all the Signature series were filled, which might not happen for quite a while, especially considering the nearly-pay-for-the-car deposit, the Model S could already have over 3000 deposits.

I'm pretty sure the US is allotted 1000 Signature spots and Europe an additional 1000 but don't know how many reservations there are.

This is correct as far as I know. Between the U.S. and Europe the total signature series can be 2,000 cars.

Tesla is not even pushing the Model S right now. The salespeople are only compensated based on Roadster sales.

I think once the Model S is within 6 months of production cars rolling out, then Tesla Motors will start driving sales and working on building a backlog.

Look at the Nissan Leaf. They are within about 6 months of delivering and just started officially taking paid reservations. Then they prompty sold out the entire production run for the first year.

If I recall, Tesla is aiming for 10,000 to 15,000 cars per year. Just with the rate that they are adding deposits right now, they will likely be at 5,000+ reservations by the end of 2011. So that is plenty of work initially.

If they have 5,000 Tesla Model S sedans on the road, the critical mass has been reached and the car will sell itself. They could easily create a 10,000+ backlog if they wanted by providing more promotion. But then they would also have to hold the hands of those 10,000+ depositors and answer emails and questions.

Tesla doesn't want to distract sales away from the Roadster. They need to sell 500 to 1,000 Tesla Roadster per year right now.

Tesla is not even pushing the Model S right now. ....

The Salesman I spoke with seemed very excited about the S. He spoke of events that would be planned so we would take test drives, provide feedback, pick options and colors. Talked about the progress that he had seen. All in what I would call a professional, plan based, sales strategy.

I fealt that everything he said was designed to give the impression its coming, its coming soon, and its going to be wonderful. None of the "it's gong to be awhile. You might want to look at our other products to tide you over..." speak.
Ken

The Salesman I spoke with seemed very excited about the S. He spoke of events that would be planned so we would take test drives, provide feedback, pick options and colors. Talked about the progress that he had seen. All in what I would call a professional, plan based, sales strategy.

I fealt that everything he said was designed to give the impression its coming, its coming soon, and its going to be wonderful. None of the "it's gong to be awhile. You might want to look at our other products to tide you over..." speak.
Ken

That may be accurate. From what I heard though, the sales force is only compensated based on Roadster sales.

They don't get anything for a Model S deposit being made.

Ken

That would be awesome. I think it would be smart down the road to get people willing to fly out to California the chance to see the Model S prototypes in person, drive it with an engineer or sales person, and give feedback. They could restrict it to people who have put a deposit down just to keep numbers low.

That would be awesome. I think it would be smart down the road to get people willing to fly out to California the chance to see the Model S prototypes in person, drive it with an engineer or sales person, and give feedback. They could restrict it to people who have put a deposit down just to keep numbers low.

Indeed! I live halfway between Tesla HQ in Palo Alto and the NUMMI factory. I could drive their prototypes from one location to the other as often as they want; no charge :biggrin:

First time poster and Tesla enthusiast checking in. I have Sequence #P-1794. Hopefully Texas will have some charging stations readily available by the time our cars arrive!

Tod

There are some of the Coulomb Tech chargers in a few cities in Texas but not sure if they'll use the same connection that the Model S will have.

Dave

There are some of the Coulomb Tech chargers in a few cities in Texas but not sure if they'll use the same connection that the Model S will have.

I would think that's a solved problem: J1772 from here on forward. Parts are shipping now, the first public J1772 charger has appeared, cordsets hitting the market, etc. I wouldn't even take the bet that Coulomb and Model S will both have J1772 -- it's certain.

Now, Level III fast charging, yeah that's still an unsettled matter.