Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model X key after a SC visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With COVID, SC visits are evolving. Latest "touchless" methodology here in northern VA: drive MX to the SC. Upon arrival, receive a message in Tesla app that gives you an Uber Voucher that can be immediately applied to the Uber app. Once Uber app is applied, call an Uber. While waiting on Uber to arrive, grab envelope from key drop box and complete info on envelope. Put MX key in envelope, seal envelope and then drop envelope in drop box. Uber arrives, get in and ride to destination. When car is ready, make sure to grab extra MX key. Take Uber back to SC. Upon arrival, car will be parked outside SC, locked with original key in cup holder DISASSEMBLED - battery taken out. I didn't know why my key was disassembled first time this happened. Went inside dealership only to find out this was intentional so that doors to car would stay locked even with key inside car. Second key allows you access to the car. Car could also be unlocked with Tesla app on smartphone.

So, don't be surprised that you need to reassemble your MX key when you pick up your car.

Interesting. I had touchless service in VA back in December. It was almost exactly the same as yours, except the service center, I think in/near Reston, VA, did all the same things but made sure to tell me NOT TO leave my key. So I never saw or spoke to anyone except through the App and Text Messaging. When car was ready, they parked it at a charger in the parking lot and plugged it in, and sent my a text that it was ready. I arrived with several kw added to my battery and drove off. Almost like with my old ICE I'd get a free car wash, although adding 10-20 kw to my battery is better. Only complaint is sometimes you want the warm fuzzy of talking to the person who did the work or a service advisor just to see how things went. Sometimes you only get "issue resolved" with no clue on what was done.

Yep same here for my X. Had the radio upgrade done last week. I complained about this fob issue in the survey since there have been cases where reassembling (putting battery back in a fob) hasn’t worked. Now, usually that was when the fob was out of range of the car so perhaps it’s a non-issue but removing a fob from the owner’s custom case and then removing the battery (especially when there’s a dead spot in the X that I bet no one currently at Tesla knows about...) seems a bad answer.

Perhaps cheap faraday bags? But I bet someone is going to put a battery back in wrong and bugger up the contacts.

As for not needed the fob at all, always wonder how lazy they are. When I had mobile at home I left the card in my 3 and the tech said they didn’t even need it. You’d think as in previous post that would be the better answer for contact-less.