Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your opinion on this MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your opinion on the following?
Background: I had a 2022 MYP for 16k miles, an April build. I found a 2022 MYP, September build. The car has 3,075 and I looked at it before, 20 minute test drive.

(1) The regenerative braking was not working. It was at 71% and I put it on hold. The lights on the car on the screen lit up when I took my foot off of the pedal, but the car did not brake like it should. We also just rented a 2023 M3 this week that I drove a few times, so I experienced the regenerative braking as recently as two days ago. I'm not sure what could be going on.

(2) They heavily sprayed the car with air freshener. The car got to the dealer on 2/16 and it was prepped and ready to go on 2/17. I'm concerned they are trying to hide something like dog or a smell from the a/c coils or filter. The trunk has a few marks/minor runs which leads me to believe a dog was in the back. (I have bad asthma and had to get rid of a car that someone had used to carry their dog.)

(3) I think there are some panel gaps in the back and am concerned about water intrusion. The back driver's side door is also misaligned.

I asked to take the car on a 24 hour test drive (this is Carmax, they do this). They would not let me and said their guys would look at it. They know nothing about Teslas. I asked them to take it to Tesla. They won't let me take it to Tesla since they said Tesla would not look at it since it has dealer plates (I know some people there who would look at it)

There is a 30 day/1500 mile return policy. The car is 54k, so 57k with tax. It has USS and the brembo brakes. I'm most concerned about USS which is why I did not order a 2023.

What do you think? Would you buy this car? Thanks!

20230218_185225.jpg
20230218_173118.jpg
20230218_173112.jpg

20230218_173108.jpg
20230218_173100.jpg
20230218_173047.jpg
20230218_173040.jpg
20230218_173030.jpg

Alignment looks fine to me. Regen can be disabled in the software or if it’s cold it will not work until it’s harder up. (usually the line of dots shows when it’s ready). The one thing I would Hate is it appears someone put holes in the front bumper for plates which looks like crap and un fixable. As for smell, no car with that few a miles needs air freshener unless they are trying to hide pet odors or smoking.

As for smell, no car with that few a miles needs air freshener unless they are trying to hide pet odors or smoking.

I agree with this 100%, and in fact this car would be a non starter because of it for me, unless I could take it for a 24 hour test drive, park it outside in the sun and then smell it afterwards.

The regen thing doesnt really concern me because there are plenty of reasons regen could be light (cold battery is one). The panels are a personal thing, but tons of air freshener and "no you cant take it overnight" when thats a normal policy = "No way in heck" to me.

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

As far as temp, it was warmer than it had been when I was driving the M3 we rented this week. We had no issues with regen. This car had less regen feel than my Prius (it did not pull back, just mildly slowed down).

The regenerative braking from Tesla normally feels like the engine braking you get when riding a motorcycle. It's strong. The only time I felt reduced engine braking with my last MYP was when it was at 100%.

I feel the same about the air freshener. The same applies to houses. I mean it's normal to have a little air fresher but if it's really strong or they have one in every room that is a red flag to me.

You make a pretty compelling case to pass on this example.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I rented a 2022 MYP, one three months older than the one at Carmax. I'm going to compare them tomorrow. I needed a larger car to pick up my mom/step dad and found the MYP. So, same car...I would assume they would at least allow another test drive. Ordering one from Tesla is looking like the more attractive option.

I would not buy this Tesla Performance Model Y as there are red flags (especially the air freshener to cover up something unpleasant.) The vehicle might not have been in a flood but a leaking windshield or HVAC intake would result in mold and mildew under the dash, beneath the carpet.

Forget the USS, they will be disabled anyway. For this price get a 2023, enjoy it and forget about all of these potential problems
There has been 0 evidence from Tesla that existing sensors will be disabled. Though, it is a risk one should be aware of when buying a '22 or earlier specifically for the sensors. We really have no idea if they are going to disable them once the non-USS software is finally implemented for '23+ cars.

My advice is always to buy the newest.. specifically the latest-built Tesla you can comfortably afford. Tesla makes a lot of little changes that are generally better. I stress the word generally as their removal of USS with NO software replacement for several months now is very concerning. Atleast when they removed the radar.. AutoPilot continued to work.

That said I wouldn't necessarily buy a brand-new 2023 either. Removal of USS, HW4 launch, and IRS is supposed to make its decision in March on the battery component rules. At this point, I would wait on a new 2023 until USS + HW4 has resolved/launched. That said if you absolutely, positively have to buy a Tesla right now because life demands it.. a 2023 inventory Model Y is the best buy right now. People who have ordered and waiting on new build have no idea what's going to happen with the IRS ruling in March.

I brought it to Tesla. They said it was fine. The smell faded. I think they just went nuts with air freshener for some reason. I also rented another 2022 MYP to compare it against for the week and I had the one from Carmax for 24 hours. It was fine. I'm going to buy it today. It's a September build 2022, registered in November. Carmax has a 30 day return period, so I'm going to take my chances with it since it has USS. It works out to the same price as a new one after the $7500 rebate, white on white with a tow hitch. This will be my first white car, my last 2022 MYP was black on black.

Reactions: jcanoe