Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your (reasonably) ideal Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have a SR+ and after having it for 3 weeks I have some idea of what I want in the model 3 that I am willing to pay for and replace an ICE car.

1. I am happy with is 0-60. I am not lusting for any performance models at the present time.
2. I am willing to pay for a slightly better fit and finish.
3. Pay for a better sound system. Other premium features don't interest me.
4. Don't care about AWD where I live.
5. I like the range of LR-RWD and would gladly pay more for a SR+ having that range. If they extend the range to 370 miles I am willing to pay more. People talk all the times about superchargers but I prefer to drive a bit longer between SC. I don't want the weather and wind and rain and speed to all reduce my range.

A lower trim long range is M3 RWD my ideal vehicle for the price I am willing to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. GOOD. FWIW the 0-60 is only .4s slower than an STi and almost 1s FASTER than a Civic SI/Acura RSX-S
2. I don't have a problem with the fit and finish of my vehicle. I like the styling, i like my color and I got over the weird bulbous look of the windshield. Add a PPF to it and you'll be good.
3. You can fix/upgrade the SR+ system yourself for under $1k. Lots of threads/help.
4. You might when it rains. I didn't upgrade.
4. You're in the SE USA? You won't care about the weather as much as our Northern friends.

My only change to the M3? They should have made the trunk a fastback. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy.

Apple Car Play (seriously can't be that hard to devote a bottom dock portion to that or split screen between car play and the nav)

Long Range Pack option (~325 miles and the 150kW V2 Supercharging rate and ~250kW V3)

Option for "semi premium audio" or something; basically a-pillars to open the sound stage some and rear deck speakers.

Option for "factory" installed full car PPF, obviously could be out sourced to a local installer, but fully organized via Tesla, completed while the car has zero marks on it, and any paint imperfections are touched up/corrected by the installer.

For current build Model 3s....

Paid premium connectivity package
Unlock the software 100kW super charging limit and let it max out V2 stations. Software limit of ~140kW on V3 stations
Sottozero 3 winter wheel and tire package
Paid option for all seats to be heated (I know many SR+ owners currently have that, including myself, but it could go away any day)
FSD monthly or per use subscription option. At least until feature complete FSD on city streets. When that gets released (and actually works well) either a pay per use NAV on AP for highway driving or a one time paid upgrade to that for reduced cost (~$1000 to $1500)

Originally, the LR battery upgrade was $9k and the premium interior was $5k. Now you can get a SR+ for $38k or a LR AWD for $47. So basically you get the premium interior over partial premium and AWD for free compared to original pricing.

A lot of states have tax incentives they need to squeeze under or budgets just can't stretch that much. I think a lot of people would be happy with a LR RWD option that was priced between SR+ and AWD right now ($43,490 LR RWD) OR even better, a partial premium LR RWD at ~$41,500. I figure that would basically take all the SR+ sales and convert them to LR RWD with PPI. Maybe enough that they drop the SR+ and just offer the off menu SR and then LR RWD PPI and AWD. I would have traded my paint option and white interior for a LR RWD PPI in a heart beat and it would have been within the WA state sales tax exemption limits. I think I would be extremely happy with a larger pack and faster super charging rate while having to "deal" with white paint and a still pretty nice black interior.

A lot of states have tax incentives they need to squeeze under or budgets just can't stretch that much. I think a lot of people would be happy with a LR RWD option that was priced between SR+ and AWD right now ($43,490 LR RWD) OR even better, a partial premium LR RWD at ~$41,500. I figure that would basically take all the SR+ sales and convert them to LR RWD with PPI. Maybe enough that they drop the SR+ and just offer the off menu SR and then LR RWD PPI and AWD. I would have traded my paint option and white interior for a LR RWD PPI in a heart beat and it would have been within the WA state sales tax exemption limits. I think I would be extremely happy with a larger pack and faster super charging rate while having to "deal" with white paint and a still pretty nice black interior.

Yes on the LR RWD! I’d really love the extra range and premium interior but have no need for the second motor and don’t want to pay that extra cost.

My ideal Model 3 would have:
1. A real roof instead of glass.
2. SR+ battery but with premium interior. I have LR RWD now but would love to save money on the battery which I find I don't need.
3. Tan/black two tone interior option
4. Sport seats or Sports package (better seats, lowered suspension, unique wheels, chrome delete) from the factory
5. Better fit/finish and less road/wind noise (although I find my car to be pretty good)
6. Non-metallic/pearl red paint and or other color options.
7. Regular cruise control selection (non traffic aware)

Other than #1, these are in no particular order:

1. BETTER SEAT ERGONOMICS. Give me better under-thigh support, and more adjustment range to the base tilt at the minimum. It's pathetic how bad they are right now in this segment. Ideally, adjustable bolsters and such as well.
2. Seat cooling
3. CarPlay and Android Auto
4. Heated steering wheel
5. Interior trim available in something besides that idiotic piano black plastic garbage
6. USB-C PD
7. Factory chrome delete
8. Hatchback
9. Power liftgate/trunk
10. The ability to start summon before you get out of the car so it pulls into the space for you, like the S&X have (and the manual lies about the 3 having).
11. Playlist navigation and better phone integration vis-a-vis text messaging, etc.
12. Better isolation from road and wind noise
13. Jack points that don't require an adapter pad. Better yet, built-in jacks like an F1 car if you want to impress.
14. Summon over Bluetooth from the phone. Relying on WAN for the current version of summon is dumb. For smart summon if that's ever actually released, it makes a bit more sense.
15. Proximity locking and unlocking with the fob.

1) Option to unlock any extra power available via software (or if necessary via hardware as well) if we are willing to pay for it. Early adopters like me didn't even know the specs or cost for the AWD or P versions. I know we could lose several thousand dollars in depreciation/taxes on a trade in, but many of us can't afford to essentially pay for the upgrade twice by having to do this. Why not help your customers be even happier with their cars while also turning a nice profit?

2) Better music options like Apple Car Play/Tidal etc.

3) More voice command options like "turn fan speed to 3" or "open glove box" so we don't have to take our eyes off the road or navigate through menus.

That's all I'd need to very happy - and the happier we are the more referrals we'll bring in.

Oh my gosh! How could I forget this.... for all Model 3's push a software update that makes use of the two steering wheel buttons more.

I would LOVE if once you push the fan button on the screen (which is fairly easy to do without looking down) the left wheel would scroll up and down and adjust the air flow up or down in the smallest steps it can do. The right button would change temperature for the driver up or down (unless sync has been selected). The scrolls wheel's revert to their default control after 10 seconds of inactivity.

Adjusting the temp is kinda ok while driving, but still makes me nervous. Adjusting the direction of the air flow is dang near impossible without pulling over. Yes you don't have to adjust it real often... but these are software changes for those buttons, this could be done rather then porting another game over.

Push the window wiper button and the scroll wheel now controls it's setting. Scroll up and it goes faster, scroll down and it goes slower. It stays on the window wiper option until you press and hold the scroll wheel for three seconds or something.

I would appreciate Apple Car Play as well but only for my iPhone music navigation from the screen directly and not from the phone or watch. But for the navigation I would still use Teslas.

Yep, that's the main thing I want, better audio control, XM Radio over bluetooth works ok for me (and is actually cheaper, lol) but reaching down to change stations is dangerous compared to if there was a CarPlay app. Same with podcasts...

In an ideal world...
  • Voice controls for all car operations "Turn AC on to 71"
  • Siri/ Google Assistant integration- I know i could do this on my phone but it would be nice to have it integrated (better mics, show dynamic results on screen, etc.)
  • CarPlay - mostly for texts and better music/ podcast integration
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Tan interior option
  • More dash material options
  • Hatchback
  • Seat cooling
  • More included Usb/12V ports
  • Wireless chargers by default
  • Cup holder adjusters
  • 360 camera
  • Less road noise
  • Include back and inside cabin camera in Sentry Mode
  • Integrated Sentrycam viewer
  • Auto frunk/trunk lift and close
  • Color changing ambient lights/ More light areas (i like the look of soft glow from vent, middle console trim)
  • Aero trim kit (front lip, lower side panels - nothing too extreme but would change the look and increase efficiency)
  • Additional rim options (Black onyx, etc.)