Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yuuuge CSP in Dubai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt there is much argument over the idea that the gulf states are not into CSP for the environment but rather the money, so the arithmetic is interesting: It comes down to them wanting to sell the oil rather than burn it locally for electricity

A gallon of oil (at $60 a barrell) is worth about $1.5 and can be combusted in an electricity plant to make about 11 kWh. That works out to be about 14 cents a kWh generation cost from oil.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I doubt there is much argument over the idea that the gulf states are not into CSP for the environment but rather the money

No, Dubai has specific environmental goals. They are trying to become the city with the smallest carbon footprint in the world.

They already earmarked $40b in government funding for that:
Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 launched

The U.S. is pretty alone in the world with its resistance against clean energy...

2050? The oil countries of the Middle East have been all talk on renewables as far as I can see. Until they actually produce a few gWh I'm not buying it.

Pretty interesting that they would go with a massive concentrated solar project rather than PV. Doesn't need a near term completion date. Doesn't help drive down the global cost of solar PV.