Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi charger: what am I missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

Albuquerque1

As I understand it Zappi chargers have some smarts to direct solar generated power into the car instead of the rest of a home's demand. Why is this useful? I understand that using generated power is considered more cost-effective than putting it into the grid, but surely any demand at home will do that — it doesn't matter if it's from the car or washing machine. Is the point just that with a Zappi charger one can choose to charge the car (thus ensuring enough range etc) over using the power for other things for which grid-supplied power will be equivalent?

If you don't have net metering and your consumption from the grid costs more than what they pay you for excess solar, then you save money by putting the surplus solar in your EV instead of letting it go to the grid. The Zappi allows you to do that automatically by modulating the signal sent to the car for allowable charging current. Of course, the Zappi has various settings so that you can force it to charge the car even if there is no surplus solar when you really need the range.

Reactions: FairlyOldGit
If you don't have net metering and your consumption from the grid costs more than what they pay you for excess solar, then you save money by putting the surplus solar in your EV instead of letting it go to the grid. The Zappi allows you to do that automatically by modulating the signal sent to the car for allowable charging current. Of course, the Zappi has various settings so that you can force it to charge the car even if there is no surplus solar when you really need the range.
Got it. Thanks!

Just to help me understand, how does the Zappi know what the solar is doing - is another bit of kit required harvi/eddi or someone else?

Reason I ask is that I have a Wallbox which works fine, but since having solar installed wonder if swapping to a Zappi might be easy enough to take advantage of surplus solar. I realise the economics are unlikely to be in my favour, but it grates a bit seeing so much energy being shoved back up the pipe to the grid.

The Zappi comes with a CT clamp that goes on the tails near your metre and can detect when energy is flowing out to the grid. This can be a wireless or hardwired CT clamp I think. The Zappi will then charge at the level that would otherwise be exported if above 1kw. I think… happy to be corrected! I am awaiting a Zappi install so by no means a pro… Yet!

The Zappi comes with a CT clamp that goes on the tails near your metre and can detect when energy is flowing out to the grid. This can be a wireless or hardwired CT clamp I think. The Zappi will then charge at the level that would otherwise be exported if above 1kw. I think… happy to be corrected! I am awaiting a Zappi install so by no means a pro… Yet!
Thanks for that - v helpful.

My problem might be that the meter and charger location are a long way apart so running a cable will be awkward and wifi coverage is not that reliable.

I shall ponder further..

Thanks for that - v helpful.

My problem might be that the meter and charger location are a long way apart so running a cable will be awkward and wifi coverage is not that reliable.

I shall ponder further..
I think the MyEnergi stuff uses it’s own Wi-Fi between the various bits Zappi, CT clamps, Harvi and Eddi etc so might not be an issue. Installer should be able to clarify and so will I in a month or two as our metre box and charger location are very far apart