Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero-G wheels have different offsets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
I just noticed that the EPC shows two versions of the new Zero-G wheels that come with the Track Package. They have different offsets:

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET34, ZERO-G
1044242-00-A

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G,
1044243-00-A

So it may be that each axle will come with a wheel with a different offset; though I don't know which would get the 6mm wider wheel placement with the ET34 wheel. It could be front for steering clearance or could be rear for looks. Either way, it looks like front/rear tire rotation won't be possible, or at least recommended.

6mm isn't a lot, so I'm surprised they would do this. It'll undoubtedly lead to some confusion since the tires are the same.

Maybe the ET34 wheels are for Track Package, which is only for PUP cars, and the ET40 wheel will become available for purchase for all the other cars with the thicker brake rotor hubs?

Anybody else have a guess?

1501561-00-A_0.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Aren't 20" performance wheels already ET35 all around? I don't see what the ET40 would be for. Maybe because these also come with 245mm width tires so they want to be cautious with clearance but several people here run 255 width with <ET35 and haven't had rubbing issues.

Probably for aesthetics. +6mm in the rear would make the rear wheel have a similar clearance from wheel face to fender as the front.

From what I've seen, the rear need at least 15-20mm to look flush but 6mm still better than nothing.

I just noticed that the EPC shows two versions of the new Zero-G wheels that come with the Track Package. They have different offsets:

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET34, ZERO-G
1044242-00-A

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G,
1044243-00-A

So it may be that each axle will come with a wheel with a different offset; though I don't know which would get the 6mm wider wheel placement with the ET34 wheel. It could be front for steering clearance or could be rear for looks. Either way, it looks like front/rear tire rotation won't be possible, or at least recommended.

6mm isn't a lot, so I'm surprised they would do this. It'll undoubtedly lead to some confusion since the tires are the same.

Maybe the ET34 wheels are for Track Package, which is only for PUP cars, and the ET40 wheel will become available for purchase for all the other cars with the thicker brake rotor hubs?

Anybody else have a guess?

1501561-00-A_0.jpg
Clearly and unequivocally it relates to the two different rotor hats. Performance model had a inner rotor hat and therefore needs less positive offset. All the other ones need the 40 millimeter offset

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Clearly and unequivocally it relates to the two different rotor hats. Performance model had a inner rotor hat and therefore needs less positive offset. All the other ones need the 40 millimeter offset
So you're "clearly and unequivocally" speculating that the ET34 wheels are for the Track Package/PUP cars and the ET40 wheels are for the rest?

That's where I'm leaning as well, especially if they're providing these as the "Model 3 Performance Wheels" referral award.

Man, the resale market for these two sets of wheels is going to be f-ed up! So much confusion ...

So you're "clearly and unequivocally" speculating that the ET34 wheels are for the Track Package/PUP cars and the ET40 wheels are for the rest?

That's where I'm leaning as well, especially if they're providing these as the "Model 3 Performance Wheels" referral award.

Man, the resale market for these two sets of wheels is going to be f-ed up! So much confusion ...

Well the two different offsets are not any version of speculation so if the wheels are being produced in those two offsets and those two offsets map two different sets of rotor hats I'm not sure how you can draw another conclusion

So are these not recommended to go on a non-performance model 3?

No they are fine, we are speculating that the +40 offset version was made specifically for non-performance cars since Tesla knew people would want these wheels.

I think its 99% likely that this is what's happening as they are likely adjusting offset between Performance and Non-Performance cars to maintain constant scrub radius across both types.

No they are fine, we are speculating that the +40 offset version was made specifically for non-performance cars since Tesla knew people would want these wheels.

I think its 99% likely that this is what's happening as they are likely adjusting offset between Performance and Non-Performance cars to maintain constant scrub radius across both types.

Would you recommend these or the standard 20”s if I can get them for the same price? Referral wheels at all lighter?

Would you recommend these or the standard 20”s if I can get them for the same price? Referral wheels at all lighter?

They seem to both weigh about 28 pounds, but the zero-g wheels are 9" wide instead of the stock wheel at 8.5". Not a huge difference, but the wider wheel is a little sportier - tho for legit track use people are running 9.5" or 10" wide (and probably not 20" diameter)

If i were buying one vs the other, i'd take the Zero-G for looks and the slight increased width, probably slightly worse efficiency though (not sure how much, but being wider must "cost" something in theory).

I just received an email with the parts list for my Model 3 referral wheels. They are sending just one part number wheel. And the tires are different from the Track Package tires. Here's the details:
WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G
Part #: 1044243-00-A
Order Qty: 4
and
TIRE,235/35R20 92Y,MICHELIN SUMMER-SRVC
Part #: 1234258-00-A

Mine were installed yesterday. Same parts listed above. That’s the prescribed package for my VIN of my stealth performance. Great looking wheel, but pretty tucked in. I’ll try a 15mm rear and 5mm front spacers.

Attachments

• 8DB37CB9-17FA-4831-BB39-2BD77B80CA2B.jpeg
    8DB37CB9-17FA-4831-BB39-2BD77B80CA2B.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 3,660
  • 6F8082EC-E39F-4E46-8D5B-1694656DC029.jpeg
    6F8082EC-E39F-4E46-8D5B-1694656DC029.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 826
Reactions: tlr1000
I just received an email with the parts list for my Model 3 referral wheels. They are sending just one part number wheel. And the tires are different from the Track Package tires. Here's the details:
WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G
Part #: 1044243-00-A
and
TIRE,235/35R20 92Y,MICHELIN SUMMER-SRVC
Part #: 1234258-00-A
Yes, thanks.

Since starting this thread, it has been confirmed that the ET40 wheels are for the base rotors, with thicker hats. The ET34 wheels are for the PUP rotors with thinner hats.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I added 15mm spacers rear and a 5mm in the front. Looks just right now. My old wheels in the background.

Attachments

• 2EFF81A0-177F-436B-BDCE-6CCAF565E6D6.jpeg
    2EFF81A0-177F-436B-BDCE-6CCAF565E6D6.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 794
  • 14B47E46-B0F6-4D98-AE49-49C4CADFB931.jpeg
    14B47E46-B0F6-4D98-AE49-49C4CADFB931.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 774
let me get this right, so since i have M3P, ET40 will look better and flushed than ET34? so i wont need spacers
If by "M3P" you mean a Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade, then unfortunately that is not how it would work.

A car with the standard brakes, which would normally use the ET40 wheels, can use ET34 wheels and they will be 6mm further outboard. A car with the PUP brakes would normally get the ET34 wheels. Using the ET40 wheels with PUP brakes will shift the wheels inboard by 6mm. Said another way, an ET40 wheel with a 6mm spacer is an equivalent offset to a ET34 wheel.