TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Zero-G wheels have different offsets

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Zoomit, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

I just noticed that the EPC shows two versions of the new Zero-G wheels that come with the Track Package. They have different offsets:

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET34, ZERO-G
    1044242-00-A

WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G,
    1044243-00-A

So it may be that each axle will come with a wheel with a different offset; though I don't know which would get the 6mm wider wheel placement with the ET34 wheel. It could be front for steering clearance or could be rear for looks. Either way, it looks like front/rear tire rotation won't be possible, or at least recommended.

6mm isn't a lot, so I'm surprised they would do this. It'll undoubtedly lead to some confusion since the tires are the same.

Maybe the ET34 wheels are for Track Package, which is only for PUP cars, and the ET40 wheel will become available for purchase for all the other cars with the thicker brake rotor hubs?

Anybody else have a guess?

[​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  2. Orwell

Orwell Member

Probably for aesthetics. +6mm in the rear would make the rear wheel have a similar clearance from wheel face to fender as the front.

3. zhu-

zhu- custom title

Aren't 20" performance wheels already ET35 all around? I don't see what the ET40 would be for. Maybe because these also come with 245mm width tires so they want to be cautious with clearance but several people here run 255 width with <ET35 and haven't had rubbing issues.

From what I've seen, the rear need at least 15-20mm to look flush but 6mm still better than nothing.

4. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Clearly and unequivocally it relates to the two different rotor hats. Performance model had a inner rotor hat and therefore needs less positive offset. All the other ones need the 40 millimeter offset

• Informative x 1
  5. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

So you're "clearly and unequivocally" speculating that the ET34 wheels are for the Track Package/PUP cars and the ET40 wheels are for the rest?

That's where I'm leaning as well, especially if they're providing these as the "Model 3 Performance Wheels" referral award.

Man, the resale market for these two sets of wheels is going to be f-ed up! So much confusion ...

6. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Well the two different offsets are not any version of speculation so if the wheels are being produced in those two offsets and those two offsets map two different sets of rotor hats I'm not sure how you can draw another conclusion

7. MatildaModel3

MatildaModel3 Member

So are these not recommended to go on a non-performance model 3?

8. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

No they are fine, we are speculating that the +40 offset version was made specifically for non-performance cars since Tesla knew people would want these wheels.

I think its 99% likely that this is what's happening as they are likely adjusting offset between Performance and Non-Performance cars to maintain constant scrub radius across both types.

9. MatildaModel3

MatildaModel3 Member

Would you recommend these or the standard 20”s if I can get them for the same price? Referral wheels at all lighter?

10. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

They seem to both weigh about 28 pounds, but the zero-g wheels are 9" wide instead of the stock wheel at 8.5". Not a huge difference, but the wider wheel is a little sportier - tho for legit track use people are running 9.5" or 10" wide (and probably not 20" diameter)

If i were buying one vs the other, i'd take the Zero-G for looks and the slight increased width, probably slightly worse efficiency though (not sure how much, but being wider must "cost" something in theory).

11. lbowroom

lbowroom Member

1/2” wider with same offset pushes them out 1/4”, right?

12. scwilliams52

scwilliams52 Member

I just received an email with the parts list for my Model 3 referral wheels. They are sending just one part number wheel. And the tires are different from the Track Package tires. Here's the details:
    WHEEL, 20X9.0J ET40, ZERO-G
    Part #: 1044243-00-A
    Order Qty: 4
    and
    TIRE,235/35R20 92Y,MICHELIN SUMMER-SRVC
    Part #: 1234258-00-A
    Order Qty: 4

13. lbowroom

lbowroom Member

Mine were installed yesterday. Same parts listed above. That’s the prescribed package for my VIN of my stealth performance. Great looking wheel, but pretty tucked in. I’ll try a 15mm rear and 5mm front spacers.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  14. Teedub21

Teedub21 Member

Exactly. Yes.

15. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Yes, thanks.

Since starting this thread, it has been confirmed that the ET40 wheels are for the base rotors, with thicker hats. The ET34 wheels are for the PUP rotors with thinner hats.

• Informative x 1
  16. lbowroom

lbowroom Member

I added 15mm spacers rear and a 5mm in the front. Looks just right now. My old wheels in the background.

Attached Files:

17. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

How many turns can you get with the lugs and 15mm spacers?

I've used this as a guide, which says the minimum safe engagement length should be about 12mm or 7.5 turns on the 14x1.50 lugs.

BMW Wheel Spacers Encyclopedia | Turner Motorsport

18. lbowroom

lbowroom Member

Probably wouldn’t get any turns. The 15mm spacers have studs and bolt on. A8285C4B-8B54-4C05-ACF3-17D7AFED35E4.jpeg

• Like x 1
  19. toprpm

toprpm Member

let me get this right, so since i have M3P, ET40 will look better and flushed than ET34? so i wont need spacers

20. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

If by "M3P" you mean a Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade, then unfortunately that is not how it would work.

A car with the standard brakes, which would normally use the ET40 wheels, can use ET34 wheels and they will be 6mm further outboard. A car with the PUP brakes would normally get the ET34 wheels. Using the ET40 wheels with PUP brakes will shift the wheels inboard by 6mm. Said another way, an ET40 wheel with a 6mm spacer is an equivalent offset to a ET34 wheel.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1