Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Stain on Leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunblock is a PITA.

Try in this order:

1. General auto interior cleaner (e.g., Griot's Garage)
2. Rubbing alcohol: start with diluted 10:1 with distilled water, then 5:1 and then non diluted.
3. Degreaser: diluted 10:1 with distilled water

Degreaser is the only thing that worked for me.

Using anything related to ‘leather’ cleaners is not a good idea.
Using anything related to automotive leather cleaning is perfectly fine.
The faux leather in Teslas is polyurethane, which is the same compound used to coat real automotive leather (except in untreated leather cases like the Ford 'King Ranch' seats).

This is a great product for interior cleaning, and yes it's safe on your seats.
But for zinc oxide, sroh is correct in that you usually need the strongest cleaner that is safe on the material, we recommend Opti's Power Clean. It is a degreaser that is safe on interior components and can be diluted 10:1. To remove zinc oxide it's also helpful to use a common detail brush to agitate the area, then wipe dry with a microfiber towel.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I've been finding that Simply Green sprayed on the seats (~ 30% concentration) easily removes sunscreen, lotions, and other white-cloudish stains on the seats and door panels. I wipe it off with microfiber cloths. Completely cleans the surfaces with mild rubbing.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Using anything related to automotive leather cleaning is perfectly fine.
The faux leather in Teslas is polyurethane, which is the same compound used to coat real automotive leather (except in untreated leather cases like the Ford 'King Ranch' seats).

This is a great product for interior cleaning, and yes it's safe on your seats.
But for zinc oxide, sroh is correct in that you usually need the strongest cleaner that is safe on the material, we recommend Opti's Power Clean. It is a degreaser that is safe on interior components and can be diluted 10:1. To remove zinc oxide it's also helpful to use a common detail brush to agitate the area, then wipe dry with a microfiber towel.

At your own discretion. I only tell you what the manufacturer recommends. Besides that, up to you. And reminding you that it is NOT leather, which some people still think it is.