Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘18 100D Battery in cold weather problem (Regen related)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure when this happened but isn’t the battery heater symbol in the app different now? It used to show the small symbol about where the middle console is between the seat heaters symbol (just below the large red climate heater arrows.
But now, unless I’m mistaken it shows a lightly colored red area (maybe a square or rectangle)when on in the hatch area(on a MS) about where a ICE would have a gas tank.
Just finished road trip this week and watched this while trying to understand more about how “Range mode” on or off affected my trip range and when the battery heater would come on.
Would love to find a thread with some good info on the Range mode selection and what is actually happening behind the scenes.
Anyone?
I tend to just leave range mode on always but I think that’s not right.

Not sure when this happened but isn’t the battery heater symbol in the app different now? It used to show the small symbol about where the middle console is between the seat heaters symbol (just below the large red climate heater arrows.
But now, unless I’m mistaken it shows a lightly colored red area (maybe a square or rectangle)when on in the hatch area(on a MS) about where a ICE would have a gas tank.
Just finished road trip this week and watched this while trying to understand more about how “Range mode” on or off affected my trip range and when the battery heater would come on.
Would love to find a thread with some good info on the Range mode selection and what is actually happening behind the scenes.
Anyone?
I tend to just leave range mode on always but I think that’s not right.

Here's a ref.: Range Mode

AFAICT range mode reduces battery heater power (also cabin climate, etc.) while allowing the battery to eventually heat itself to a higher degree than normal before cooling starts, in order to tickle ~2% extra capacity from it.

This means when starting with a cold-soaked battery one should switch off RM to regain regen capacity a.s.a.p., then, only if needing max efficiency on a long trip, switch it on after max regen is available.

Anyone pls feel free to clarify if this is incorrect?

• Informative
Reactions: quickstrike12
I should add that this problem of recovering regen from cold is likely even worse for a M3, which has no dedicated battery heater but instead scavenges pack warmth from the coolant recirculating through the motor and inverter. This system is cheaper to manufacture but less effective in quickly warming the battery, since the M3 motor and inverter are so efficient they throw off scant waste heat. Then again M3 also has no range mode so perhaps less confusion arises in the first place?

However, it seems that arriving at a SuC with a cold-soaked M3 battery can lead to low recharge rates which then actually drop over time to the truly dismal, even when starting with a low SoC, see discussions here:
Tesla Model 3 Range Loss In Bitter Cold - Video
Model 3 Battery Heating?

On a MS/X, recharge rates are also reduced at pack temperature below 8°C, but at least rise continuously to normal rates once charging/heating commences.

In any case, to alleviate the wait, Bjørn recommends maximal "yo-yo" driving for about 10-15 minutes:

Last edited: