TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Battery Heating?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ratsbew, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Active Member

Do we know of any way to pre-heat the battery using "shore power" before driving? Obviously we can use the app to heat the cabin, but what about warming the battery before heading off?

2. derotam

derotam Member

Start charging the car again. This is the only way to pre-heat the battery at this time. Yesterday my car was already charged when I left and I had reduced regen and my power usage was really high compared to today with same outside temperatures but my car was still in it's charge cycle all night.

• Informative x 1
  3. evJOULE

evJOULE Member

apparently preheating the cabin heats the battery aswell if the ambient temperature is low enough.

• Informative x 1
  4. ratsbew

ratsbew Active Member

Has anyone seen the "snowflake" icon to indicate battery heating? Does anyone have screenshots of that?

5. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I have seen it. I don't think the snowflake icon indicates battery heating, I think it just shows that battery temperature is low. If the car sits overnight in temperatures of around 50 degrees or lower, and isn't being charged that night, I will get the snowflake icon in the morning.

6. derotam

derotam Member

And where are you getting this information from? That is incorrect. The cabin heating has it's own heater core that does not interface with the battery at all.

• Disagree x 2
  7. Richt

Richt Just traveling down the road...

Yes that’s right the systems are separate but the Tesla software tues the two together. If you turn in cabin heat, the battery thermal management also starts.

• Like x 2
  8. derotam

derotam Member

So what happens in the summer in 100+ degree outside temp and I turn on max cabin heat? Conversely, are you suggesting that the AC is tied together too?

Put your car in really cold weather on a charger so the BMS is keeping the battery warm, then get in and immediately turn on your cabin Air, it will NOT be instantly warm.

9. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

It seems the only reliable way to heat the battery is to charge the car. Remote S shows battery stats, but doesn't seem to indicate that the battery is requesting heating. The battery heater section has a 0 in it as well.

10. Richt

I don’t know about Remote S. I have it but don’t totally understand it.

What I’ve seen is that as soon as you turn climate control on @derotam then battery management thermal management turns on. So you don’t to roast in 100 degree weather. And actually the battery will want a little cooling

11. Richt

Also for those of you in cold climates the optimal strategy is the battery seems to need 30-60 minutes of preheating to get it to operational temperature.

You can tell at least on a Model X but weather you get little dashes in the regen section (the car can’t accept full regen until the battery is warm. Haven’t had the model 3 in cold temps yet to see how it works.

So the ideal thing is to leave it plugged in and then when you wake up in the cold morning turn the climate control on.

12. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

There is still so much confusion about battery heating and cooling...
    • If you activate pre-heating, the battery will also heat if the BMS determines that it's required (the temperature is low enough). There is no way to specifically command battery heating to begin unless you have an S or X with Ludicrous mode and you activate Max Battery Power.
    • Battery cooling will happen automatically any time the BMS determines that it's required (the temperature is too high). There is no way to specifically command battery cooling unless you turn on Track Mode in a Model 3 Performance.
    Model S & X have a bespoke battery heater - a resistive heater unit that is dedicated to the battery coolant loop. It can cycle on and off but not output variable power.

Model 3 uses the motor itself to generate heat for the battery. The inverter sends an inefficient wave form to the motor that generates up to 4 kW (13,600 BTU) worth of heat and sends that to the battery pack via the coolant loop. The Model 3's BMS can vary the amount of heat that it generates. You can see how much heat is being produced on the power bar below the speedometer - it will show some power being used even though you're stopped.

The heating process is what it is and there is no way to speed it up or pre-condition it beyond what the BMS wants to do.

• Informative x 17
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  13. derotam

derotam Member

How do you know the "Battery management thermal management" turns on when you turn on your climate control?

14. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

A red battery heating icon shows up in the app. (At least it does for the S and X. I haven't had the 3 in cold enough weather yet.)

15. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

Because Tesla explicitly freaking said so!
    Tesla releases new mobile app update with battery preconditioning feature and more

• Informative x 1
  16. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

17. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

I don't think you are correct. Before that change, activating the cabin heat from the mobile app did not turn on the battery heater along with it. It wasn't just an indicator icon that was added. That really was new functionality.

18. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

It sure did. Lots of discussion about battery heating and preconditioning for years before this update was released.

TeslaFi incorrectly reporting the status of the battery heater during preconditioning was a bug.

19. derotam

derotam Member

20. derotam

derotam Member

Yes, lots of discussion about battery preconditioning for YEARS...about the Model S and X.. Not the 3.