Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Additional camera calibration” for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I’ve done a ton of research on this topic but don’t seem to have found a solution that worked for me.

2 weeks ago, I picked up a new ‘24 MXLR. The camera calibration started upon exiting the delivery center and quickly “finished” allowing TACC and Autopilot(autosteer) about 5 miles in. Great! But noticed FSD was greyed out with the note that additional camera calibration was required, progress: 98%.

This lasted for few more days. After 200 miles in, I opened a support ticket. The remote agent had me clear calibration, which still didn’t work. Kept getting stuck at that dreaded 98%. Tesla couldn’t seem to figure this out remotely and had me bring in the car. Around 450 miles, the service center replaced the car computer with the note below:

Repair Notes: Verified concern, autopilot issues present. Removed carpet to access car computer and wiring. Removed front compartment to access coolant reservoir. During inspection did not see any soft set connectors or pinches in wiring. Noticed car computer was stuck in a boot loop. Performed a hard reset, after reset car computer could not boot up DAS ECU. Replaced car computer due to internal fault. Powered vehicle back on and associated configurations and VIN. Test drove vehicle, verified proper functions of cameras and Autopilot features.

Of course, they verified the autopilot features but didn’t go as far as fully calibrating for FSD (and I wouldn’t expect them to since that would require additional driving on my part)

The calibration remained stuck at 98% for few hundred more miles. I’ve tried clearing calibration once after about 300 miles with the new computer. I’m now well over 1k on the odometer. The 30-day free trial on FSD that I was so looking forward to has passed halfway. I am continuing to follow up with SC through the prior chat and phone. They said the issue has been opened as a case with Tesla’s engineering team. They keep saying they are waiting on a response, but I haven’t heard any updates beyond that.

Is anyone else with the recent new purchase experiencing a similar issue? Any advice or feedback that could be helpful?

Thank you for reading. This is my first Tesla, and I really want to love it.

(Yes, I’ve already seen and tried hundreds of miles of “middle of multi-lane highway”, “local streets with traffic, lights, turns”, “clearing + rebooting right before highway entrance”, etc. Been researching this topic for days hoping to find the answer)

Hi everyone, I’ve done a ton of research on this topic but don’t seem to have found a solution that worked for me.

2 weeks ago, I picked up a new ‘24 MXLR. The camera calibration started upon exiting the delivery center and quickly “finished” allowing TACC and Autopilot(autosteer) about 5 miles in. Great! But noticed FSD was greyed out with the note that additional camera calibration was required, progress: 98%.

This lasted for few more days. After 200 miles in, I opened a support ticket. The remote agent had me clear calibration, which still didn’t work. Kept getting stuck at that dreaded 98%. Tesla couldn’t seem to figure this out remotely and had me bring in the car. Around 450 miles, the service center replaced the car computer with the note below:

Repair Notes: Verified concern, autopilot issues present. Removed carpet to access car computer and wiring. Removed front compartment to access coolant reservoir. During inspection did not see any soft set connectors or pinches in wiring. Noticed car computer was stuck in a boot loop. Performed a hard reset, after reset car computer could not boot up DAS ECU. Replaced car computer due to internal fault. Powered vehicle back on and associated configurations and VIN. Test drove vehicle, verified proper functions of cameras and Autopilot features.

Of course, they verified the autopilot features but didn’t go as far as fully calibrating for FSD (and I wouldn’t expect them to since that would require additional driving on my part)

The calibration remained stuck at 98% for few hundred more miles. I’ve tried clearing calibration once after about 300 miles with the new computer. I’m now well over 1k on the odometer. The 30-day free trial on FSD that I was so looking forward to has passed halfway. I am continuing to follow up with SC through the prior chat and phone. They said the issue has been opened as a case with Tesla’s engineering team. They keep saying they are waiting on a response, but I haven’t heard any updates beyond that.

Is anyone else with the recent new purchase experiencing a similar issue? Any advice or feedback that could be helpful?

Thank you for reading. This is my first Tesla, and I really want to love it.

(Yes, I’ve already seen and tried hundreds of miles of “middle of multi-lane highway”, “local streets with traffic, lights, turns”, “clearing + rebooting right before highway entrance”, etc. Been researching this topic for days hoping to find the answer)

It sounds like a tough issue to crack due to the referral to Tesla’s engineering team.

Since you don't buy/subscribe to FSD, and your Autopilot is calibrated successfully, I am not sure Tesla is obligated to ensure FSD works unless you pay for FSD.

@RyanDe680 is reporting a similar issue in the below thread. No resolution posted yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I know it seems like a silly suggestion, but can you verify all (8?) cameras are clean and working properly? In the Service menu you can look through them all. Do they all seem to have sane views? Is there dirt or oily residue or whatever on any of them on the outside? Maybe clean them up with some alcohol or glass cleaner and a microfiber. IIRC the basic calibration only uses a few cameras (originally at least, AP/TACC didn't even use all the cameras on the car), and the additional FSD calibration is for the rest of the cameras.

I know it seems like a silly suggestion, but can you verify all (8?) cameras are clean and working properly? In the Service menu you can look through them all. Do they all seem to have sane views? Is there dirt or oily residue or whatever on any of them on the outside? Maybe clean them up with some alcohol or glass cleaner and a microfiber. IIRC the basic calibration only uses a few cameras (originally at least, AP/TACC didn't even use all the cameras on the car), and the additional FSD calibration is for the rest of the cameras.
Not a silly question at all and thanks for the feedback. Tried wiping them several times and also checked the service menu that showed all greens.

The SC that was supposed to get back to me after checking with the engineering never did (Didn’t harass for a few days them given the memorial day weekend and all), but I noticed this morning they had actually closed the chat. Very helpful and hopeful. I made an appointment with another SC in the area hoping to get a new set of perspectives. They had some cancellations last minute and accommodated accelerating the appointment to today. I will share if there are any updates.

Not a silly question at all and thanks for the feedback. Tried wiping them several times and also checked the service menu that showed all greens.

The SC that was supposed to get back to me after checking with the engineering never did (Didn’t harass for a few days them given the memorial day weekend and all), but I noticed this morning they had actually closed the chat. Very helpful and hopeful. I made an appointment with another SC in the area hoping to get a new set of perspectives. They had some cancellations last minute and accommodated accelerating the appointment to today. I will share if there are any updates.
Any update on the outcome?

Sorry for the late update.
I took the vehicle into a different SC, and they were able to finish calibration in just hours. They said this is likely a software bug, and it's hard to know exactly what has caused it. But the SC can apparently use the computer to "force" turn on the FSD. The technician stated he drove the car while the FSD was force activated, and the camera finished calibrating in just 2 miles. It's not an ideal solution anyone can try on their own, but in the end it worked, and the FSD has been working beautifully since.