Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest update completely bricked AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 pre-raven MX also no AP/FSD. Was always set to automatically update, so not entirely sure when it exactly happened. Primarily my wife's car, but when I drove it this weekend, I noticed all the symptoms pointed above. One other thing, my wifi is not connecting. It shows there's an update, even though it's already on the 2023.44.30.2. But when I try to download the update, it wants me to connect to wifi, then it tells me it couldn't connect due to DHCP error. I did everything on my router's end (rebooted, reset DHCP leases, etc), MX still not connecting. This is frustrating and certainly wouldn't want to pay for anything that the firmware update messed up. Surprisingly, my backup and side cameras still come on when backing up.
I’m in the same boat with my 16’ X

Add me to the list 2021 model 3 70k miles out of warranty. Here is the write up from my service appointment. I’m out of warranty they want around 3000 to replace the car computer. Everything worked perfectly fine then did the update bricked the car and Tesla services response was essentially oh the computer “just went out” and “you know cars now of days are mostly computers”. So since there is no option to turn off regen braking I’m essentially having to drive what has been reduced to a golf cart (let my foot off accelerator car stops) weekly back and forth for my 250 mile round trip weekly commute with no cruise control. I don’t think it’s an unfair expectation for one to expect their car computer to last more than 3 years of being on the road. They bricked our cars with bad software and they are going to take care of anyone in warranty and extort the rest of us to get our car to function as a safe mode of transportation. And this is my second Tesla had a 2015 p90dl I loved and traded to this for the upgraded tech so not some new Tesla hater been around for a while. But this is pathetic we have to be honest. We should all demand better for ALL Tesla owners especially those out of warranty because right is right and wrong is wrong. Accountability is the way forward to address this but I’m not holding my breath due to my experience with this company
IMG_1094.jpeg

So the remote service came and replaced something that didn't need to be replaced (network card), and I left me stuck in the same situation. Waited 2 weeks for this appointment. Drove straight to Tesla Service Center right after, and they said they didn't know why I was sent a remote service and that it was in error. They said they reported it to their manager. Now I have to wait another two weeks for them to source a HW3 computer to replace and they'll let me know. Terrible service as usual.

Just a quick update:

Since the original update that caused this issue I have attempted every update that's been sent my way via Tesla. Its at least 4 or 5 different versions at this point. At least 3 of them failed initially but the others went in "without issue". One of those that had a failure I was able to reinstall, the others came so quickly I didn't have time to try a reinstall before the next update was available.

The car is still non functional with the exception of the occasional drive, sometimes only part of a drive it will work as intended and then just stop. It usually happens between parking so it works for a whole section of a drive and the next time you get in to go back home etc it will not work. There seems to be no rhyme or reason other than everything was working fine and then one update made it all break, and seemingly no amount of updates now can fix it for good.

Reactions: Dayreg
2023.44.30.8 was pushed 3 days ago to my '21 MYP and it got stuck at 10% for several hours and i was unable to do anything. So I called Tesla and they interrupted the update and I was able to restart the car 20mins later. I was told not to install the update and wait for my upcoming appointment in 2 weeks to get the HW3 computer replaced. I kept avoiding the screen reminder that an update was available until I accidentally accepted the install which miraculously installed just fine last night. FSD/Autopilot now work again without issues. So this update was definitely a fix for the tesla vehicles that they screwed over with the holiday update 🙄. Hope this helps anyone in the same situation.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
2018 X owner here. I had *.8 fail the install after the download was complete, and the reinstall from the service screen only reinstalled *.6. Contacted the service center twice only to have them reply that I was on the latest software even though my note was clear that I needed *.8 pushed to me again.
Long story longer, I finally got *.8 again about 5 days later. I was able to still use FSD in the previous *.6 release as long as I sent my destination from the app prior to the drive or it was attempting to auto-route me to work or home. *.8 completely bricked everything again! I left it in place and tried a reboot. Nothing. Finally, I completed a full reinstall from the service menu, and FSD is back. I haven’t tried any of the various things like keep temp control on or multiple GPS stops that would break the FSD and cruise control in *.6. 🤞that this nightmare is really over!

Reactions: KArnold
Update;
After requesting to push 2023.44.30.8 to my 2019 SR+ by messaging Tesla in the app, emailing Tesla Service and phoning Tesla I received a notice this morning that 30.8 was available to download. I started the download from a nearby hotspot I created to have a strong signal unlike the first failed attempt. The download paused after 10 minutes at 50% and remained there for about 20 minutes. Both the app and the car showed the download was 100% after 45 minutes but did not indicate it was ready to install. Then after another 45 minutes the car showed 60% and the app showed 90% but then within a minute or two they were both showing 100% again. The car sat at 100% for about 3 hours. I then I received a notice that the update was ready to install. The install took about 30 minutes and completed with out any issues unlike my previous 2 attempts 2 weeks ago that both failed. I did a short drive and the reverse cameras came up practically instantly and all the visualizations are working properly. I did not perform any boots after the download or install.

My service request from Tesla a week ago had stated that they had been unable to correct the issue remotely and I would need to go to the service center for a computer replacement at a cost to me of $2500. Hopefully this is a solid fix for me!

This is Tesla admitting that their cars have a problem that Tesla is responsible for. But interestingly enough only admitting for the ones that are still under warranty.
That is the problem for HW4 vehicles. It is possible the problem for HW3 vehicles is different, so it would be a different recall.

If your backup camera doesn't work and Tesla doesn't fix it right away you should submit a NHTSA report, as that might help encourage Tesla to get to the bottom of the issue.

That is the problem for HW4 vehicles. It is possible the problem for HW3 vehicles is different, so it would be a different recall.

If your backup camera doesn't work and Tesla doesn't fix it right away you should submit a NHTSA report, as that might help encourage Tesla to get to the bottom of the issue.
True, it is possible the problem is different for hardware 3 but it sure doesn't look like it. From what I have read and talking to the Tesla Service mobile tech this problem spans both hardware 3 and 4 platform. The common symptom is the driver assist computer (DAC) gets into a boot loop either momentarily or continuously which renders it inoperable. This condition is visible in the Service menu. From what I have seen the DAS status will either be INT or Critical.

What I thought was interesting was Tesla only identified the problem exist for "in warranty" hardware 4 vehicles when in fact the holiday release that initiated the problem went to all platforms. Same update caused it, same symptoms and same remedy another software update.

It was just a little upsetting that for some of us out of warranty folks (like myself) Tesla was quick to identify the cause as a hardware issue when in fact software was the culprit. From my reading of the forums several people including myself have received quotes from Tesla Service identifying the need for a $2500 computer replacement when in fact it was resolved with a software update.

Like you say, submitting a NHTSA report may result in acknowledgement from Tesla that this issue affects hardware 3 vehicles also and may save some out of pocket repair cost.