Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newest update completely bricked AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my service notes, my autopilot turbos were in critical state. I have no idea what those are. They then found a memory issue in the car computer, which I think was the AP computer and replaced it. The invoice was for replacement of HW4 LHD computer. Everything working great now. Interestingly a few months ago I had the factory amp die twice in a short period. With this replace they replaced the MCU. After this it took weeks of driving for the FSD calibration to complete (was stuck at 99%), so I wonder if this was part of it as well.

I can't count how many times I've had calibration hang at 90ish % for a week or more. (I have a short 7 mile round trip commute.)

Not sure if I'm in this club or not. On 2023.44.30.1 and it has been running fine several days. Until today with FSD, ET. AL. ,not working.

Service log has:

APP_w138_lRepeatCamInitFault

and my left camera on the backup display is dark.

Did I coincidentally lose a camera which produced similar results? Can y'all see the left/right/rear cams on screen?

'17 MS100

Do not pay to "fix" this issue. It's Tesla that needs to fix this and pay up. They broke a lot of under warranty vehicles with these recent software updates and should not be blaming out of warranty vehicles' computer. Sounds like a class action lawsuit if they can't get ahead of this and correct it. Have to wait 2 weeks for service in my location. Unbelievable.

This update potentially broke my plaid too. I'm saying potentially because there is a very slim chance it was just bad timing. But the car worked fine this morning, then I installed the update and the car broke after a few minutes on the first drive after updating.

Weird issues like the driver's door button not working to let me out and then the shifter not coming up on the screen for 5 seconds kind of push me towards an electronics issue.

I've stayed up way too late researching this, I made a post about it in the 2023 Holiday Update Imminent thread. This thread here was interesting to me because it's the earliest version number I've seen causing this bricking. As others have mentioned it seems to be affecting all models, so something is definitely widespread and wonky. More and more reports of bricking coming in, I linked a few more posts (including this one) and reddit threads in the linked post above. I suspect as this rolls out more and more we'll see more failures. Hopefully they pull it before it causes even more issues. Here's to it being an OTA update, but I'm not counting on it based on the service experiences discussed. 😞

I have exactly this issue - showed up the morning after the update. I contacted service, and they tried to reinstall the update remotely (they asked that my USB stick be removed, which I did). The update did not work.

They checked with engineering, and they said I need to come in to have the (unspecified) problem fixed. I have a service appointment tomorrow morning, but the estimate in the service app is $2719. As my Model 3 was purchased in Sept of 2018, it's out of warranty for this. I hope that I'm not going to have to pay almost $3K for a problem that Tesla created with their update, or at least have the option to restore my system to the previous version and never update the software again.

I'll update here tomorrow with the results.
what happened ? any updates?

Same problem after 44.30.5.1 update, no FSD visualization or cruise function. I reset it to reinstall but seems the secondary ECU is not initializing. Tesla wants to charge $2700 to replace the whoe MCU. Not available for another 2 weeks.
Your car is a 2020 MY, still under waranty. They always put charges in the app but they get cleared when waranty work is done.

Do not pay to "fix" this issue. It's Tesla that needs to fix this and pay up. They broke a lot of under warranty vehicles with these recent software updates and should not be blaming out of warranty vehicles' computer. Sounds like a class action lawsuit if they can't get ahead of this and correct it. Have to wait 2 weeks for service in my location. Unbelievable.
Class action lawsuit might be impossible unless one has opted out of arbitration.

Search https://www.tesla.com/legal/additional-resources for arbit. There's been talk of this before. Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com arbitration opt out. I was recently reminded/made aware of this due to someone at my work (I don't know them) with a lemon 3, wanting to go the lawyer route then someone asking if they'd opted out of arbitration. Nope.

Class action lawsuit might be impossible unless one has opted out of arbitration.

Search https://www.tesla.com/legal/additional-resources for arbit. There's been talk of this before. Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com arbitration opt out. I was recently reminded/made aware of this due to someone at my work (I don't know them) with a lemon 3, wanting to go the lawyer route then someone asking if they'd opted out of arbitration. Nope.
I did opt out. If I lose it again, I will search out others who keep losing it to consider a lawsuit

Reactions: cwerdna
Newbie 2021 MSLR update 44.30.1 bricked autopilot and cruise (car mfg date dec 2020) apparently no in cabin camera may be primary issue, car originally purchased with 'enhanced autopilot' which disappeared in later updates unnoticed till recently,..mobile service scheduled January 4,..we'll see

JC

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
2019 pre-raven MX also no AP/FSD. Was always set to automatically update, so not entirely sure when it exactly happened. Primarily my wife's car, but when I drove it this weekend, I noticed all the symptoms pointed above. One other thing, my wifi is not connecting. It shows there's an update, even though it's already on the 2023.44.30.2. But when I try to download the update, it wants me to connect to wifi, then it tells me it couldn't connect due to DHCP error. I did everything on my router's end (rebooted, reset DHCP leases, etc), MX still not connecting. This is frustrating and certainly wouldn't want to pay for anything that the firmware update messed up. Surprisingly, my backup and side cameras still come on when backing up.

Reactions: cmwagner75DX